16x26 2 story house in Alaska

Started by mountainmomma, August 15, 2009, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainmomma

My beau and I have been livng in a 12x16 butt and pass log cabin for many years now with our dog and two cats. We're ready for some more space
This is a link to our blog that shows the progress we have made in building ourselves a 16x26  2x6 frame house. With help from friends every now and then we have been doing all of the work ourselves  .
http://www.janeandeli.blogspot.com  
To view the oldest post, scroll down the page a little and click on April 2009.

poppy

w* Nice build, Thanks for posting.

Beavers

Very nice blog!  Thanks for sharing it.

Nice looking house, you guys have got a lot done this year.  [cool]

What are you using to tie off to while working on the roof?  I'm about to that stage on my house.  I have the harness's just trying to figure out the best tie off system.

Got any interior pic's of your cabin?  I can use any ideas of how to maximize the space in a 12x16 house.  ;D

mountainmomma

Thanks for the kind words.

Beavers, at the beginning of our blog, I posted some general floor plans. THey have changed a litle bit but that ought to give you an idea of waht we are doing. At this point, however, we won't have any running water. So there isn't a bathroom. We will have a composting toilet under the stairs though.

While they were on the roof, my beau and his friend were tied off to bracing in the rafters, then, once the sheathing was on, they were tied off to a roof anchor that screws/bolts into the trusses. And, there was also one line that was tied off to a pile of very large logs (at least 10 feet long and about 1 ft in D)

We still need to put on the metal roofing, put in the windows and finish the Tyvek before the snow flies. Then, the interior work can begin.

Beavers

I'm fresh out of piles of large logs.  ;D  Guess I'll try to rig up some kind of brackets to attach to my ridge beam to tie off to.

I saw the floor plan you posted on your blog.  I was actually curios to see how you made your log cabin livable for 6 years.  I figured you guys must of come up with some great ideas over the years.

soomb

I second that, I would love to hear how you made it 6 years in Alaska in a 12x16.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

mountainmomma

Well, we have a  little sleeping loft. That makes a HUGE difference. I'll put together a floor plan on that same program to show you how we have it set up. Again, we have no running water so, its really pretty much an open space.

soomb

you live there full time?  How far from town?  Electric? 
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

mountainmomma

Lets see if this works. Its been a LONG time since I used Photobucket so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
This is the gneral layout of our 12x16 cabin. I presume that you are interested in actual pictures of the space but well, as you can imagine it is quite a mess since we have SO much crammed in there. There is a dog bed between the fridge and the  stairs.  
Under the kitchen sink there is a mop bucket that catches the dirty dish water. Above the kitchen sink, I made a "shelf" that holds a water cooler. I heat water on the stove in a big pot to wash dishes. The "stairs" to the loft have a 1 ft tall rise for each7 inch tread. Nothin about this place is to code. But, its worked.

mountainmomma

Cabin in the summer

Cabin in Winter

Cat on the big steps

Dog and Cat on Dog bed beside fridge

rwanders

;D It's always interesting how people who have no experience in Alaska react to life here-----I have been here 42 years and have lived in every situation from  tents and rude log cabins to very nice "suburban" homes. Alaska is not something that can be easily described or easily forgotten once you have lived it. Good luck!!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

mountainmomma

The 16x26 house we're building now

John Raabe

Thanks for sharing the photos and your great project. That little cabin looks comfy and snug but the 16x26 two story will seem palatial I expect.  :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

poppy

I've really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing the pics.

That winter photo of the small cabin is post card ready.  [cool]

Sassy

Looks real cozy & I love your animals!  Good progress on your new home!  Keep the pics coming   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Beavers

Mountainmama,

Thanks for posting the floorplan and photo's of your cabin.

What kind of wood stove do you have?  I haven't been able to find many small stoves that don't require a ton of clearance from the wall.

mountainmomma

If you are lookinng for a woodstove that doesn't have to have much clearance, get a soapstone one. That is what I dream about getting for our new house. Specifically, I want a SCAN woodstove. Right now I have a little POS that I got on sale at our local distributor. It is called a CASTHEAT. Do NOT buy one. I have had to replace everything on it except the body and it still is terribly inefficient. Jotul makes a great tiny stove though and actually I think that they took over SCAN. I have my woodstove in a little nook as you probably saw in my floorplan. I used scrap pieces of roofing that I found on the property to reflect the heat away from the wall.

mountainmomma

I need to order our custom cut metal roofing and I am not sure how long to get it. The measurement from the peak of my roof to the edge of the fly rafter metal is about 153". How long do I order the metal to be?

Beavers

Thanks for the stove info.  I've looked at the Jotul and the Vermont Castings small ones.  I'll check out the SCAN and stay away from the Castheat.

Thanks again,
Beavers

MountainDon

We have the VC Aspen and love everything about it except what it cost. But you get what you pay for.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

Whatever wood stove (or other fuel) you choose, don't fail to get a good carbon monoxide and smoke detector----I got some CO poisoning in a tent once----a horrible experience I was very lucky to survive.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

MountainDon

Super advise!!  And if it's a battery powered job DO change the batteries spring and fall.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

lonelytree

Quote from: rwanders on August 21, 2009, 01:35:05 AM
;D It's always interesting how people who have no experience in Alaska react to life here-----I have been here 42 years and have lived in every situation from  tents and rude log cabins to very nice "suburban" homes. Alaska is not something that can be easily described or easily forgotten once you have lived it. Good luck!!

Heck, I live here and still get surprised at some of the things that I see. Saturday night at the lodge a guy walked around with his laptop and .... made me blush.... You just never know what will happen.

I am still amazed that there aren't more people getting hurt or worse when working in the bush.

Your place looks great. I would bet that you have some nice views from the top floor!!! Post some pics as the season goes farther. I am near Glennallen and the trees and tundra are starting to turn.

mountainmomma

east side

mountainmomma

moving on to the third (south) side