Modeling A House In Detail

Started by Cropping Up, February 06, 2012, 07:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cropping Up

I'm ready to start playing with models of my rough house plans and wondered if anyone could recommend an drawing application to go with.  I have a few specs, though, that I'd really like to be met in whatever is suggested.

1.  Price:  Free  -  this isn't going to be a big project and I want to spend what money I have on the house itself, not just a picture of it.

2.  Download Size:  Small or Less  -  I'd just as soon use an online-based application so I didn't have to download anything, but if that's not available then I'd prefer a small download (say 5 MB or under) to a big one.  Google Sketch-Up looks nice but is 37 MB and I'd like to avoid something that big if I could.

3.  Use:  Easy  -  I'd like to post very detailed renderings from the application in the forum for feedback, so whatever it is I'd like it to be easy to use and easy to convert its images to something view-able here.

I know I'm hoping for a lot and if it doesn't exist I'm not surprised, but I know you guys can point me in the right direction.   :D

MountainDon

Depends what the actual goal is. If it's to see what the projected design looks like in 3D, many like Google Sketchup.

If the goal is to make drawings that can be used to build from I use paper, pencil, an architects scale and a couple of triangles. Staedtler Vellum Tracing Paper is the paper to use. It has a faint blue printed small grid. The vellum paper can be erased time and time again without tearing or smudging. The building dept also wants paper drawings.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Danfish

I would echo MountainDon on the use of SketchUp.  The free version is good enough for basic work and I have seen some amazing things done by others.  Be prepared for a learning curve and I don't think you will have too much of a problem with the file size on most computers.

I have played with most of the inexpensive ($39.95) architectural/design software packages and find they leave alot to be desired...some do offer 3-D that helps in getting a feel for your project, but when it comes to construction layout they cannot touch SketchUp.  Old fashion drafting will get you there faster and with less frustration.  My wife has a real problem getting the picture with all this fancy computer generated stuff...she just wants pencil and paper drawings.

When it comes to a permit application package, you will have to present real construction drawings and the inexpensive software will not produce these.  A good software package will run around $3,000 ( I use Softplan) and takes about six months to learn.  You could get a local designer to do a submital package for less.

While it is fun to play with computer aided design and the 3-D can be impressive...pencil and paper will get you there
with a lot less wasted time

rick91351

I agree with MD and Danfish.  However have you looked at the plans here at CountryPlans.Com?  I would guess you are not looking at snow load there and requiring a lot of engineering.  If something there fits it is the cheapest on the internet I have seen.  Plus John is right here in this site to give you a hand.

Rick

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Squirl

I used MS Paint.  Free. Already on the computer.  It has a ruler built in.  It worked for a detailed drawing to scale requirement to get code approval.

To get the feel of the place, I went full scale... just with string.  I laid a string on the lawn to get the feel for the dimensions of the house.  You can even do it in a large parking lot.  Some chairs and more string of walls and you can get a feel for size.

MushCreek

Once I reach a 'final' design (I've had dozens of 'final' designs!) I build a scale model out of foam board from the craft store, using a hot glue gun. I even bought 1:24 scale dollhouse furniture to help visualize! Yes, my wife thinks I've gone 'round the corner.....

I use Sketch-Up as well; never seemed to bog down my computer.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

MWAndrus

I started drawing my house plans out in Solidworks, but found that it was just too much for my laptop. So I switched to SketchUp and never looked back. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but there are a lot of great tutorials on youtube that walk you through how to use all of the tools. SketchUp also has a feature where you can enter in your zip code, time and date and it will show you where the shadows are going to fall on the house. It makes it nice if you are planning on a passive solar heat system.

After you have decided on the shape of the house you can add more detail to the floor plan and build up a stud plan. Some people go as far as to add in furniture. SketchUp has a huge 3D warehouse that you can download models of almost anything for free. I used SketchUp to draw up our entire plan and it was accepted by our very strict inspector with little complaint.

Cropping Up

First off, thanks to everyone who replied.  Second, it looks like Google SketchUp is first choice (paper aside), unless someone has other suggestions.  And there were a couple things I wanted to address in individual replies so...

Quote from: MountainDon on February 06, 2012, 10:45:45 AM
Depends what the actual goal is. If it's to see what the projected design looks like in 3D, many like Google Sketchup.   ....   The building dept also wants paper drawings.
Quote from: Danfish on February 06, 2012, 12:23:59 PM
When it comes to a permit application package, you will have to present real construction drawings and the inexpensive software will not produce these.  ...pencil and paper will get you there with a lot less wasted time
Thanks, Don and Danfish.  Granted, I haven't put much effort into looking for code requirements, but there aren't any permits to worry about here and, as far as I've found in my somewhat leisurely searching, state codes are easily met by any reasonably decent sort of building.  And I haven't found anything for local requirements.  With electric and septic already on-site, I'm not sure there are any.

Quote from: rick91351 on February 06, 2012, 01:01:02 PM
I agree with MD and Danfish.  However have you looked at the plans here at CountryPlans.Com?  I would guess you are not looking at snow load there and requiring a lot of engineering.  If something there fits it is the cheapest on the internet I have seen.  Plus John is right here in this site to give you a hand.
Thanks, Rick.  I have looked them over but just didn't see what I wanted.  I'm sure I could make one do, but by the time I was done changing it I think it'd probably be easier to start from scratch.  I'd also just like the experience of starting from the ground up and seeing what it takes, learning why this will work better than that, how this can look like a good idea but be bad in the long-run ... that sort of thing.  This will be my first real build, but maybe not my last, and I'd like to learn what I can in the process.  (And at this point, time isn't really a factor, so I'm not limited by a schedule or anything.)

Quote from: MWAndrus on February 06, 2012, 05:16:56 PM
SketchUp also has a feature where you can enter in your zip code, time and date and it will show you where the shadows are going to fall on the house.
After you have decided on the shape of the house you can add more detail to the floor plan and build up a stud plan.
Thanks, that's mainly what I wanted, something where I could accurately "build" from the ground up so I can see how every block, post, stud, joist, and plate relates, down to every joint and angle if I want.  And without lots of paper or erasings, for now.  I'm sure there would be a lot of that.  I expect several revisions yet to come and would like a good and easily changed model to go on before getting a final(ish) version down on paper for the real deal.

So ... thanks again everybody.   [cool]

John Raabe

Here's the strategy I used when doing the CountryPlans small house plans that are available on this site:
• The detailed construction plans themselves are mostly hand drawn (because that is what I know how to do).
• I try to include as many optional add-ons to the main set as I can (porches, dormers, multiply foundation plans, etc.)
• Where possible I try to keep the interior layouts as open as possible without bearing walls and posts.
Doing these things allows people to move interior walls, doors and windows to better fit their site and space usage needs. What they need to produce for modified drawings for those changes varies from very little (for simple non-structural changes) to something involving local design and engineering help (for major structural changes and unusual load or foundation conditions).

For non-structural floor plan modifications there are template files available for download at our sister site PlanHelp.com. These unfortunately only run on two compatible (but inexpensive) home design programs (available for Windows PCs, not Mac OS). These template layouts, running on the home design programs, will allow you to change interior walls, doors, windows, furniture, cabinets, and such. These programs help visualize 3D models of the house but do not really understand the structural details. These modified floor plans and elevations can be printed to scale and pasted back into the structural drawings for a personalized set of drawings. (More here: http://www.planhelp.com/public/92.cfm)

This is far from ideal and still involves learning a simple design program. The learning curve is lower than for Sketchup but still a bit of a hassle. There are things these programs will not allow you to do and these are also frustrating.

There are people on this forum that are getting quite good with Sketchup (such as MWAndrus) and it may be possible in the future that there will be a simpler "front end" for sketch up that can replace the 3d Home Designer type programs and allow floor plan printouts that are easier to produce.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MikeOnBike

Here is a series of videos on using SketchUp to build a 'tiny house'.  I've worked about halfway through these and found them pretty useful.  I have the video and Sketchup running at the same time and do a lot of pausing to try out each new tool and procedure.  It may help you get up to speed on the fundamentals.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tinyhousedesign/videos

When I want to play with a 2D idea I use Envisioneer Express.  It's a free sample of a more expensive program.  It is fairly limited but simple to use.  It will let you look around in the 3D rendition of your plan but the furniture/roof choices are very limited.

UK4X4

another vote for sketchup for the 3d look selling to the wife etc !

for the 2D drawings I use Progecad Smart- and autocad clone -but free- those pics are'nt as pretty

so just sketchup of an old design