14x24 1 story in Northern Arkansas

Started by Taylor, November 21, 2008, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zion-diy

Taylor, is there a reason you don't extend the ridge pole off the shed so it ties into the addition? seem like that would create a natural valley for water to flow off.
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

Taylor

That is what I plan on doing. I going to do that today since the weather is going to be nice and not to windy, since I don't care much for being up on the roof. If I get it all framed up and sheathing on today I might get started on the tar paper, if not probably tomorrow.

Taylor

Taylor

I got side tracked today, I got a late x-mas present I ordered awhile ago. Since I know everyone like the white Cherokees, I will post pictures. I got a set of Hella 500 driving lights. It took about half of the day since I had to take the bumper off and straighten it, it was bent a little on one end.

With covers

Without covers

I did get my ridge board up for my extension, so I should just have to cut a few rafters tomorrow and it will be finished up.

From inside the shed

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Since today was my first day of actually working on the roof myself. I had my helper nail all the sheathing up there and I just pushed them up to him. Are there and tricks to get traction on the roof, I had my work boots on and they just slid. What type of shoes do you all wear up on the roof?? Do tennie shoes work any better?

Thanks

Taylor

ScottA

MaineRhino

A friend of mine is a professional carpenter, and they use 3'x4' foam mats, roughly 6" thick that they kneel on when they shingle a roof, even up to a 10/12 pitch! The pads don't slip, or so he says! d*

In your case, sneakers may work better.

Taylor

Thanks guys I will give it a try tomorrow. I figured that help, but sometime I drop boards on my feet so the steel toes are nice, I will just have to be more careful, lol.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Well the tennis shoes bit me in the rear. I was unloading about 4 or so sheets( 2 full sheets and enough cut pieces to make up 2-3 sheets) of 5/8 osb from the truck so I could to get a few things from Lowes. I was sliding the sheets out and the cut pieces shifted and it all slide out and fell on my big toe and broke it  d*. So I spent the day with my foot up in the air all day so nothing got built. I hope I can get my helper to come finish helping me frame my little bit left and get the tar paper on since I don't know how long I am going to be on the side line. I am having a hard time just walking much less trying to get up on the roof.

Taylor

glenn kangiser

Ouch...don't do that... [waiting]

Alternatively, the disadvantage of steel toed boots in my line of work is the chance of a piece of heavy steel falling on the toes and amputating all of them at once with the steel toe itself or trapping all of them in the smashed toe of the boot. 

I need to look up engineering specs on them I guess.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

harry51

Maybe you could use some roof jacks to give you a place to work from on the roof.  http://www.diy-hq.net/outdoor/installing-roof-jacks.html

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

glenn kangiser

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 10, 2009, 12:22:56 AM
Ouch...don't do that... [waiting]

Alternatively, the disadvantage of steel toed boots in my line of work is the chance of a piece of heavy steel falling on the toes and amputating all of them at once with the steel toe itself or trapping all of them in the smashed toe of the boot. 

I need to look up engineering specs on them I guess.

Looks like Myth Buthterth did a guillotine test on this -- a remarkably small 750 lbs plus will do serious damage- rolling loads may or may not take your toes off but that is not what they tested for.

Looks like steel toes for the little to medium stuff then bets are off after that. 

Union got out of them due to frostbite problems in cold areas.

I can say that a steel plate crushed and folded around your toes will not be pleasant to get off.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 10, 2009, 02:21:58 AM
-- a remarkably small 750 lbs plus will do serious damage-

750 lbs...... SMALL!!!!!    :o          I don't even want to think about that!!

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

I have noticed more injuries from stepping on nails then from falling objects on sites I worked---at one site we were issued metal insoles to help avoid punctured soles-----they proved to be rather unpleasant in very cold Alaska winters though. If you dropped 750 + pounds on your foot----metal toes or not, you will have a very bad day indeed.  We do what we can do anyway-----or at least what will make the employer's attorney happy.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Taylor

Quote from: harry51 on January 10, 2009, 02:13:04 AM
Maybe you could use some roof jacks to give you a place to work from on the roof.  http://www.diy-hq.net/outdoor/installing-roof-jacks.html

Yeah I have some roof jacks up there. I just can't really use them over were I am framing in my valley, and I can't stand on the roof with the boots, they just slide down to the roof jacks. My helper had on skate boarding shoes(he finds them to be comfortable) and he was walking around like it was flat.

glenn: I saw that mythbusters, and it looked like if it was heavy enough it didn't matter if you had steel toes or not.

The weather doesn't look to bad for tomorrow, it rained a little last night and cold and very windy today. So if my helper comes maybe get the roof framing and tar paper finished. But for me today is another day with my foot up in the air.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: MountainDon on January 10, 2009, 02:30:53 AM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 10, 2009, 02:21:58 AM
-- a remarkably small 750 lbs plus will do serious damage-

750 lbs...... SMALL!!!!!    :o          I don't even want to think about that!!

I commonly work with beams and columns from 200 lbs to 3000 lbs and a bit uncommonly up to 10,000 lbs.  I tend to forget that not everyone does.  I figure steel toes would not make a difference for me. [waiting]

Taylor

I was looking around the site and saw Beavers plans for 14x24, so I did a quick drawing of what mine would look like.

Let me know if you like it better than my other idea. The wife likes them both, the new one would be much easier for plumbing.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Here is a couple more ideas I had, I added 4' to the length of the shed. I think it would be easier to lengthen the shed than trying to build the closet on the side. This is just rough idea, I could do different closets and add more windows.

One idea

I am liking this one

Taylor

ScottA

Looks like a good plan. I like the top one better. I think if it was me I'd add a french door from the bedroom out onto the deck.  ;) but that's just me.

Taylor

Thanks Scott. I would like to add some french doors out on the deck, but they would take up a lot of floor space and I was planning on putting a dresser up against the wall there. I might add another window on that wall or put a double window.

Taylor

MountainDon

I prefer having the laundry machines in their own space, not in the bathroom.

What type of water tank; gas, electric? If you are planning gas it may need to be located in a closet space that has its own combustion air supply.

If you really desire french doors you should do some research. They may be available on special order configured to swing out. They require special locking pin hinges for security, but it is an option that frees up interior floor space.  Of course the down side of doing that is it pretty much rules out an screen doors for summer ventilation.

The closet on the side would complicate your roof.

Furnace?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Placing the bathroom as in the last drawing means that all guests, etc. must pass through your bedroom to use the toilet. I don't think I'd like that myself.

Taylor

I would like to have the washer and dryer in a different place than the bathroom. I got an idea I am going to draw up in a few minutes.

Everything is going to be electric, I think I am going to get a 40g tank and I will have a water softener sometime after I get my well.

I have looked in the the outward singing doors, but they are just way too far out of my price range. The ones I found were in the $2500 range and that is about what I spent on the building, lol.

I plan on getting a furnace at some point in time and it will go in the attic so it won't take up and floor space.

You have a good point about the bathroom, but I am not to worried about guest. I have lived here for almost a year and I think I have had one or two people over a couple times and they don't stay for more than a hour or so.

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Here is an idea I had to get the washer and dryer out of the bathroom, I was thinking I could put the water heater in the full height cabinets by the refrigerator.

Yeah I know I forgot the door for the bathroom.

Thanks

Taylor 

Taylor

How about washer and dryer in the walk in closet? I was thinking a window across from the toilet. Wouldn't have to go far from the dryer to hang up the cloths, lol.

I think this one makes the most out of the space.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

My 2 cents: I like the kitchen on the left side, as it allows for the expansion to the right you have shown before with out ripping out the kitchen (not food prep) and moving the plumbing during the next phase.  Either way, I look forward to seeing the progress.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson