Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NIGHTOWL

I have been looking over your house,you did a great job.
I am building a cabin and using perlins  and metal on top ,my ? is on the end walls what did you use to keep out birds from geting in  between the end walls and roof where the perlins are .
Do you intend to put on a show rafter and soffit?
Thanks
NIGHTOWL ;)

phalynx

Thanks!  We used 1x4's to fill in the gaps between the purlins on the end.  We originally intended to put on a show edge but decided that we liked the simple country look that it gave without and we were lazy.   d*  But, mostly the look.

NIGHTOWL

Quote from: phalynx on December 30, 2009, 09:49:26 PM
Thanks!  We used 1x4's to fill in the gaps between the purlins on the end.  We originally intended to put on a show edge but decided that we liked the simple country look that it gave without and we were lazy.   d*  But, mostly the look.
Thanks for the reply,is your perlins 1x4,s?
NIGHTOWL

phalynx

NIGHTOWL

One more ? , you put the felt paper 0n top of the perlins from the top of the roof to the bottom one sheet at a time then one sheet of roofing and did you lap it a little each one?
Thanks
NIGHTOWL ;)

phalynx

We lapped the tar paper about 6" and we would place a sheet of metal wherever we could fit one without more tar paper.

phalynx

The lunacy continues.  We have started construction on a 20x32 building for ME!  A man cave/movie theater/future home of the studio/and all around general purpose game room.

Here are the pics from today's build.

ScottA

phalynx

Jens

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

Sweet. I'll be watching. What kinda sound system are you putting in? Are you going with 5/8" sheetrock or maybe double rock for better acoustics?

phalynx

Quote from: Jens on January 03, 2010, 08:15:12 PM
do you have a money printing machine?
I don't have a printing machine.  I don't have a house payment either and we use that to build everything.  Not to mention, building is actually cheap.  This one will be under 5K dried in, now that I have all the toys, I mean tools to build.   ;D

Quote from: ScottA on January 03, 2010, 08:15:20 PM
Sweet. I'll be watching. What kinda sound system are you putting in? Are you going with 5/8" sheetrock or maybe double rock for better acoustics?
I have a Klipsch system in the house that doesn't get to be used to its fullest.  Going to expand it to 7.1 channels.  Will be using one of the new cheap 1080P projectors that just came out.  Will be using 5/8's sheetrock but only single wall.  Living in the country, I don't need the isolation.  I am going to build this with 10' walls and T&G wood on the cathedral ceiling.  Going to put in exposed beams similar to yours but a little less fancy, unless I talk myself into your design.  I think it looks great.

teacher2

Off the subject for just a moment, please.  What size is the fiberglass shower pan in your downstairs bathroom?  Thanks.

phalynx

muldoon

phalynx

Quote from: muldoon on January 07, 2010, 11:34:46 PM
when i grow up I want to be like phalynx.

Man, don't you want to be something a little better?

phalynx

Well, a little more progress out here at Wise Acre Farms.  Its been cold the past week.  This morning it was 9 degrees.  We still needed to finish the subfloor.  It was completed this afternoon.  I will probably pause at this point until I can finalize how I want to configure the walls and roof.  I keep trying to go a little bigger.  I am thinking of a 1 1/2 story man cave so I can put everything I would ever want in there...and so I won't have to build another one  d*

Here is the floor

We attempted to do the subfloor happy dance that everyone else does but we discovered a gravity vortex right in the middle of floor.  My wife luckily caught it with the camera.

MountainDon

You better hurry up with getting a roof on so you don't float away. That levitation floor works real good!   ;D ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

lil-bit

After I snapped a couple of the pictures, I quickly set the camera down, grab some rope and tied them to a tree to keep them from floating off  :)

glenn kangiser

lil-bit, why is the big guy floating more than the two little ones? ???

Too much hot air? [noidea'
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

lil-bit

It could have been the levitating floor and his green outfit that made him float higher than the girls.   ;D

phalynx

Here is (what I believe to be) the final design of the "Phalynx Cave". 

Johnbrakingground

You are my hero man!  ;)  I have been watching a few different builds for the last couple of years and yours always amazes me.  I am doing mine on a tight budget and it seems you have been able to keep your spending under control. Like you said building as long as your doing it yourself is cheap especially once you have all the cool tools which many can be bought at Harbor Freight.  I see a lot of these small cabins costing 70-100K.  Also you seem very good about keeping busy.  Probably like you I beleive in someone else can do it then I can also.  Pick up a book, use common sense and trial and error.  Not to say I can do it as good or fast as a pro, but I can afford to try several times in lou of paying someone else.   Keep up the great work and check out my progress over the next couple months.   c*

MountainDon

I'm wondering what's going to happen when he runs out of building space? ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Maybe he'll try going underground again but on a smaller scale. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.