Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toyotaboy

Your place looks great! How many btu's is your gas wall heater?
I'm thinking about putting one in my bedroom on the north wall.

OlJarhead

Thanks Guys,

The heater is 18000btu's and I only use it to help raise the temp when we arrive or keep it up when we are gone as it is not a vented unit.  If I were to use it more often I'd get the vented through the wall type like I have in the composter room.

OlJarhead

OK, pics coming soon!  I am now working on a coffee table and beside table made from live sawn pine that is well stained as well as some blue stained pine placed in the middle to widen it up.  Basically I took a 13" and 10" piece of live edge blue stained pine I'd sawn a few years back (ok maybe 5 or 6+) and used the mill to rip it down the middle.  Then I planed it as well as some 5" 2x's I had that were pretty heavily stained.  Used the jointer on the edges to square them up and will soon bond them together to make the top of the table.  Once bonded and stained I'll affix to some 'rite leg' company coffee table legs (we like the look) and then pour with Parks Super Glaze.

We're also going to do, make that I am also going to do a bar and stools for the cabin to have instead of a table.  More to come :D

Rys

OlJarhead

So I've finally started on a Coffee Table for the sitting area and a bedside table for my wife.  Here are some progress pics of the coffee table:

Originally the two outside live edge boards were one but it was too thin for a coffee table so I ripped it down on the sawmill and used some blue stained 2x's for the middle to widen it.  This way we get live edges and blue stains but wide enough for our needs -- sure I could mill something wide but I had this in stock at the moment.

After using the jointer/planer to make sure the edges were square I cut in some biscuit joints and glued up the first half.

Not sure I really need them but I like the security of a little more, well, secure bond.

Getting it glued up

Made this simple sled for squaring up the boards where the jointer couldn't easily accomplish what I wanted.  This worked nicely.

The two sides glued and curing.  Tomorrow I'll plan them just to take off any differences with one or two passes through the planer and then I'll bond them together for the complete top.  Then, once completely dry (24hrs) I'll stain and place a 1" crosstie under them for mounting on the legs (give them more strength since the legs (Rite Leg Co) are only 12" wide and this top will be about 20".

OlJarhead

When making the final joint I discovered my tablesaw was not square!  Took a little work but got the blade set back to zero (and have no idea how it got out) and made the final edges squared up for gluing etc.

Put it together and noticed movement in the wood already :(  Must be do to the temp change so I cut in the biscuits, glued it up and clamped it together.

Now I'm looking for some hardwood to make a bowtie or two in the center to make sure it doesn't pull apart at the cabin.

Rys

I think the bow ties will only accent the beauty of the wood.    [cool]

OlJarhead

Agreed!  I did this one out of Red Oak (wanted it strong) and it's placed in the center of the Blue Stained Pine which moved on me...hoping this will hold it now but if it doesn't that's ok since it was a learning experience and this is for the cabin anyway.

Never had a use for this Craftsman 1/4" router until now.  It was left behind by someone long ago and he didn't want it back so I kept it thinking one day maybe I'd use it (I have more powerful plunge router with 1/2" chuck that I use often).

Took a fair amount of hand work to get it right.

So far so good!

Rys

GaryT

"bowtie" also known as a "dutchman".  Have no clue why....finger in the dike kind of thing?
Gary

OlJarhead

called butterflies too...but 'bow-tie' I think because they look like that...maybe?  ???

OlJarhead

Had a nice weekend at the cabin.  Didn't do much but fall a couple trees to start the thinning I need to do and burned some slash.  Other than that we stayed warm and enjoyed ourselves :)

Back home and the legs for the coffee table arrived.  They are seriously stout and I'm very happy with them!  Logrite makes great tools and now they also make great table and bench legs under 'Rite Leg' company.

Charcoal added to the epoxy to make it dark.  It will dry and be covered with another coating after being scraped off with a sharp chisel.  In the end I should have some dark holes and cracks before staining and pouring on the Parks Superglaze

Rys

Those legs look seriously stout! Very nice.

OlJarhead

Well this has been interesting.  The darn wood is still moving.  Just when I thought I was almost ready to start staining and put on the glaze the wood moved again and lifted in one corner.  Now I'm looking at planing off the top and bottom and bolting it down to see if that will stop it.

Wood  d* d* d* ??? ??? ???

OlJarhead

OK so I decided to give it one more go.  I planed off the top and bottom of the table using my sawmill (one big saw :D )

You can clearly see what happened here.  It may be due to the way the grains were oriented or just too much moisture and later heat ???

Either way, it's flat now and I have the table legs on and things are pretty good albeit needed some shimming to keep things level.  If it doesn't work I'll make an outside bench out of it and make a new top this spring!

While I had the mill out I decided to make these legs level the easy way.  I need to make more of these and do a MUCH better job of placing the legs but it was fun and looks cool so I'm ok with it -- just don't tip it over with a drink on it! lol

Next up was to make some shiny black epoxy.  I came up with this after learning people added charcoal to epoxy...well I had brickettes handy so why not right? 

Ready to fill the holes and cracks

I'll sand off the excess with some 80 grit paper and then maybe smooth things a little (or not -- doesn't really matter).  Then the table gets stained (again) and with luck the wood gods will be kind and I'll put the super glaze on it in a few days.

Wish me luck!

OlJarhead

Getting there and pretty flat (as well as can be expected I think) and level at this point (after some shimming).

OlJarhead

Parks Superglaze poured on and curing

This is after 12hrs or so.  It needs 72 to cure fully.

48+ hrs of curing and just one more day to go and then we can take to the cabin.  I placed the 'coin top' table beside it.  This was the 2nd of two chopping block round tables I made for the cabin and I just never finished this one until my recent leveling of the legs on the mill (above).

I have much to learn on making legs sit at the right place and able and will experiment more when I have time.

A little better look at the legs and the top (you can see some of the glaze drips)

We are working on some pine shelves at the moment but two of them should be interesting as they are corner shelves for above and below the TV which is not in the middle of the corner.  Once done they will provide a location for the modem, router and DVD player :)

But for now, we have a coffee table and end tables and that is a BIG step forward!  I need to finish the bedside table still, which poses some challenges too and should be fun and I need to mill some dead pines for the bar top and perhaps stools.

Fun stuff :)

Rys

I know there's a long standing tradition of doing a jig when a builder gets their decking on.
I believe your table would hold up to that!    ;)

OlJarhead

Thanks.  It certainly is worth a jig!

OlJarhead

Guess I need to post some pics :D  Got some windows trimmed and the table up etc and plowed the driveway etc etc...was a great weekend but alas, cut short because of Snowmageddon in WA State.  Decided to head back early to shovel snow at home.

Adam Roby

That table came out really beautiful.  Just showed my wife and now she wants one too...   

OlJarhead

Thanks Adam :) and have fun!  We did!

When we arrived at the cabin it was cold and there was another 4 inches of snow on the ground (or so) since I'd been there the morning before.

The tractor just looked cold!

We 'moved in' for the weekend and got the stove going to warm the place but I'd left the backup heat on Thursday morning when I left (was up for the night Wed for work) so it was about 54F inside the cabin and easy to get it warmed back up.

Got started on the windows the next day as I'd brought up trim and casing boards prepped and ready to go.  This window I'd left the trim behind with the intent to measure it and then cut and place but decided on a different method and simply cut the ends off and nailed on afterwards.  What am I talking about?  This...

My original idea was to router out the boards and lay them in this way kinda like making a log cabin but found in the end cutting them at 45 degrees and placing them separately (the end pieces) worked much faster and tighter.  I'll do that moving forward.

I did, however, forget ONE piece!  d*

Finished the 4 foot window too since it had not been trimmed out and place the shelf above the TV.  It's a live edge shelf with bark still on it cut to fit the corner roughly the same way the TV fits the corner.  It's for the DVD player and a bigger one will go below it for the Router and Modem.  You can also see the new coffee table which worked out nicely :)  I use the shelf below a lot but my wife said "lay your pistol on the table and put two drinks on it for a picture"...she's into the image LOL but then it's not far from what was going on at the time anyway, the pistol was set below on the shelf and her drink was on the coin top as she likes to sit in front of the wood stove while I'm on the couch lounging after a long day's work :D

The coin top table finally made it's way to the cabin! :D

After a couple hours plowing snow, as we'd gotten a few more inches of the stuff, I took a stroll about and saw the clouds were leaving and the sky was clearing.  Was going to be a cold night for certain but we'd be warm :D

The next morning was promising with the sun coming out early and causing beautiful imagery but we had to leave early as we'd seen 'Snowmageddon 2019' had hit full force and high winds had caused bad drifts and many road closures.  TO be sure we'd make it home (so we could shovel snow) we headed out as soon as we were ready.

The road out is always a bit of a question mark, even with ice chains it causes a little pucker factor in the winter...you just don't know when it's THAT steep.

But our big F350 is heavy and with those chains it's a pretty safe bet it won't move around much ;)

But that road!  ;D

We just love where our cabin is and can't wait to get back and get more done.

Cheers

Toyotaboy

The table looks awesome!  I love the legs too. The window trim is very cool.

Your place looks awesome with the snow cover.

We got stuck at our place 3 weeks ago. Blizzard with 18 inches of snow. 4 pick ups trucks stuck. Lucky the neighbor came by with his little

Ford tractor and pulled us out. Driving home in a blizzard was stupid. We should have stayed an extra day.

Toyotaboy

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  Finished a second table made from the same slab of wood but this one was for the home.

Haven't been back up to the cabin in part due to the late winter weather we've had and other commitments (it takes more time and energy to go to the cabin in the winter vs other times of year so when I am busy I tend to go up less).

Glad you got out of the snow safely!  I keep snowshoes in my rig just in case that kind of thing occurs and I have to hike in to get the tractor!

Toyotaboy

That is one thing I do not own, snowshoes.  d*

But after this year, I will have a pair.

It takes about a day and a half to get my place really warmed up with the wood burner.

Toyotaboy