Simple, cost-effective way to 900 sq ft?

Started by RainDog, October 26, 2009, 04:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainDog

I'm speaking to a homeowner's association about a 3.5 acre lot near the Illinois river they've got, and in the covenants and restrictions of the property they've got a minimum build of 900 sq ft allowed.

Now, it's been nice having the time lately to play with a dozen different design ideas, and I've enjoyed it, but I've got a potential buyer for the house I'm in now, but regardless of who buys it I'll have to have a plan of action in place by closing. I need to push these papers littering my desk aside and get down to brass tacks here, stop playin' around.

I'd been thinking that the least labor intense, cost effective design to reach 900sf would be John's 20x30 1 and a half with full loft. Now I notice that First Day Cottages has their 16x30 listed as 960sf. I assume the discrepancy between First Day's figure and John's of 950 for his 20x30 is his definition of "livable floorspace" as dictated by minimum ceiling height, as opposed to First Day's straight floor area number. Guess I'll have to talk to the association to determine how they judge square footage.

I'd been trying to convince myself that building a one story, though it would surely cost more, would pay for the difference in cost with ease of construction. Not having to have the high pitched roof for headroom over the loft, for instance. I'd thought that a low pitched roof similar to the Noble House look would be much much more of a user-friendly build for someone of my limited experience. I suppose that's just wishful thinking, that the added cost would far outweigh any gains in the ease of construction, as well as taking longer.

Anyway, I'm on the right track with this? Any thoughts or suggestions or other ideas besides outside ordering from Countryplans and building either 16x30 or 20x30 with full lofts?

Yours,
Parks
NE OK

MountainDon

Wel Parks, 3.5 acres sounds nice. However, and I don't mean to disparage your choice, but those three words; "home owners association" make me nervous at the very least. I would read every word in the association by-laws, rules and regulations. Do not trust anyone's verbal promises, it's what's on paper that matters.

When we were property shopping one of the pieces we looked at was covered under an HOA. They had several rules I could not abide by. As well as the square footage requirement (larger than we wanted) there were things about getting HOA approval for tree thinning, outdoor fires, clotheslines and a whole lot of things I was trying to get away from in the suburbs. How much are the annual fees, out of curiosity, and what are the benefits?

Just be sure to understand the rules as written, not as spoken about, as if push comes to shove... you know where that goes.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Oh, I share your feelings about the idea of dealing with a home owner's association as well. There are a few things, however, that lead me to consider the property. My wife has a good working relationship with them, and they're willing to pass me some deals almost too good to refuse. Foreclosed plots, for instance, they're offering for a song. Less than 1000 per acre, and on a few of those there have been improvements and there is community water available, perhaps even septic system installed. Save me a lot not to have to get a well drilled.

Dues are just silliness. 12 bucks a month. The Convenants and Restrictions, to my non-lawschooled self, at least, seem very loose. I haven't pored over them by any means, but at first glance at least, they seem agreeable enough.

If you'd like to take a look, they're published on the web and quite brief:

http://www.irrpoa.com/Amended%20Covenants%20and%20Restrictions.pdf

Thanks,
Parks
NE OK

MountainDon

Getting a deal or preferential choice on a foreclosed lot is good, no doubt about that.   :)

I simply have a personal problem with "architectural committees".  :-\  We don't have an HOA where we live in town, but we have friends nearby who do. They need to get permission for a color change on the exterior paint, for example. It would rile me if I had to ask someone if it was okay to change the Air Force Gray paint on the shed in the mountains. But that's just me, and one reason we bought in the boonies where we don't have a winter plowed road instead of in or near the developed area 2 miles away that comes with winter road maintenance.

It does sound like a nice place and you may luck out on the pricing and amenities; water and waste, etc.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

RainDog

Looks to me like a minimal restrictions, minimal protection document. I've got a tentative appointment to go out there with a plot map to look around and speak with the president of the association this weekend, and should have a much better feel for the division afterward. Although I too find the idea of having to have a home approved by an outside agency objectionable, after hunting around for a small building site with reasonable access to utilities lately, I've come to appreciate the concept of covenants and restrictions a bit. When you're talking smaller plots of land around here, "no restrictions" very often is interchangeable with "nightmare neighbors".  

Think the 1 1/2 story would be the best bang for the buck? I can't for the life of me come up with a more economical design.
NE OK

ScottA

The 1 1/2 story is the most cost effective design. One of the problems with homeowners association by-laws is that they can be changed. It might not be an issue today but what if a few years down the road they re-write them in a way you don't like or jack up the dues.

Native_NM

My two cents:  if the HOA is managed by your neighbors it is much better than one managed by an outside company hired to enforce covenants and regs.  I fought for two years to have a lien cleared from a property   I would not get the trash can off the street in 18 hours on occassion. They sent an couple of nasty letters, and finally assessed a penalty of $50 plus attorney fees.  I refused to pay and they filed a lien.  I eventually prevailed, but it was not worth the hassle. Our current HOA is managed by neighbors.   We have never had a problem. 

I used to take the trash out in the morning.  If I worked late or was travelling overnight it was darn near impossible to get the trash up.  The HOA had a guy make the rounds on trash day to look for offenders.  I hated those guys. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

RainDog

Yeah, they're residents. I ain't skeert. Well... not much.  ;D
NE OK

rwanders

Raindog, when I was looking for property here in Alaska, I found beautiful parcels with great views of Denali (Mt McKinley)----unfortunately they also had incredible examples of rural slums alongside with junk cars and discarded appliances and assorted trash----covenants can be a blessing to protect you from those who do not respect either the land or their neighbors.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Jens

Are they asking you to make upon yourself a sign of your covenant? 
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

RainDog

Quote from: Jens on December 21, 2009, 10:34:09 PM
Are they asking you to make upon yourself a sign of your covenant? 

Just a little insignia the association uses, sorta a little pentagram thingy, and it'll be tattooed on my scalp and covered with hair, so nobody will ever see it.

There'll be a little welcoming ceremony, which I'm looking forward to. They welcome kids, apparently, and I'll be taking my son along to join in the festivities. That should satisfy that reference to "first born male child" that they require. Kids love parties.
NE OK

trish2

While a 1 story or  1 1/2 story are the most often built here at  Countryplans, what about a front to back split?  Check out http://www.cabins.ca/html/plans2.html  the Agawa plan.  Either 1/2 basement or garage/workshop under the bedrooms?  It's the concept to consider, not necessarily the floor plan shown.  Adjust floorplan sizes to meet your needs

There are also some other plans on the site at around 1000 sq ft.  While none might be right for you, they may stimulate your thought process to help you design what is optimum for your family.

BTW, how far is your land from Chicago?  My sister-in-law and husband are retiring.  They want to be within a hour or two of Chicago to be near the grandchild.

RainDog

Hey trish,

It's an approximately 11 hours and 22 minutes commute to Chicago from here. One way. Hey, they could fly!

Now... your husband and sister-in-law are retiring together? Amazing, you don't sound bitter at all!

Merry Christmas!
NE OK

devildog

RainDog, Ive taken the 20x30(extended to 32)1.5 story with a 12' loft, added a 4x12 utility room and a 12x16 bedroom and have 1072sqft.

Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985