Craftsman tool

Started by StinkerBell, July 19, 2007, 01:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

Anyone have any opinions on this tool?

Craftsman CompuCarve Compact Woodworking Machine

edited by jraabe

glenn-k

I know we talked about this before but I couldn't find it in a search.

I thought it was really interesting but wonder how much I would use it after the cool gadget factor wears off.

I heard the Sears software wasn't as good as the software of the  real company that makes it.

glenn-k

Here is a link to the real manufacturer and free trial software there too.

http://www.carvewright.com/

peg_688

Never used one but I do have one word about tools like that, JUNK!  YMMV ;D

glenn-k

You are limited to 14.5 inches wide.

Interesting but expensive.  

teacher2

Husband bought one.  First experience - got it home, used once, handle to crank up and down broke, contacted CompuCarve, customer service was very helpful, we sent the part in, they sent us a replacement part, still didn't work. Returned to Sears, after about a week we received a new machine.  Second experience - the part that moves the sandpaper rollers broke a cog.  (That wheel is made of plactic, you would think it should be made of some sort of metal)  Contacted CompuCarve, which sent us the wrong wheel, then sent us the correct one.  CompuCarve was very good to work with.  Fairly easy to replace part, although the sandpaper seems like it will be a pain to replace.

Even though we had problems at first, we have had no problems since.  My husband has made several items and it has performed as advertised.  Be sure to use good flat wood.  Rough wood can catch on the sandpaper that feeds the wood through the machine. Fine carving on some woods, such as pine, does not carve well, I guess because of the wide grain. Husband used red oak and cherry, both worked well. Software is excellent, true to your design, can download and export photos, 3D, and Clipart.  It would nice if it was wider than 14 in.  Overall, we are satisified with it.

glenn-k

Thanks for relating your experiences. :)

Jens

sounds like this is a piece of plastic fantastic, but knowing the capabilities of these machines, it doesn't seem like a bad price.  I have been a member of the www.cnczone.com forum for a few years now, and the stuff being done is pretty darn cool.  Nothing that couldn't be done with hand tools mind you, but some of the things are much easier with a CNC engraver/carver, i.e. an engraving of someones photo in oak.  Pretty amazing stuff.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!