Trimming out stairway-HELP!

Started by Okie_Bob, July 02, 2007, 10:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okie_Bob

Found John's link to the stairway building code requirements but, it doesn't help with trimming them out.
Can anyone give me some ideas on the steps (pun intended) on how to DIY? I'm especially interesed in how to build/install a newall post that won't fall down when leaned upon. Any help would be appreciated and I hope Peg can send some pics to guide me here!
Okie Bob

jraabe

You probably have Wagner's book with you... look on page 172 - very good review with detailed drawings on stair finishing including the anchoring of a newel post.

If you don't have this in your library get at least the first two books (maybe three) in this list. Combined they represent several thousand dollars worth of miss cut boards and wasted time. These books have most of the information and skills that architectural plans will assume the builder to have.

Okie_Bob

John, I do NOT have this book but will order now. I want to make sure I get you credit from Amazon so tell me what I need to do. Also I want to make sure I get the right books, can you please give me the names? I found the one on constructon basics but wonder if this has the stair trim out you reference?
Thanks as always John.
Okie Bob

glenn-k

You can just order from the Amazon Link at the bottom of the list page -same as this link http://www.countryplans.com/books.html

and the site will get credit.  I already have some old books so don't have the same ones listed there, except the Building Alone book and Homework -- maybe American Shelter. :)

jraabe

Yes, the blue link in my post "this list" goes to the review page and books are linked there. The first three in the list are very valuable resources.

This is the same page Glenn links above.

PS - Don't knock yourself out ordering through the countryplans.com links. Amazon doesn't pay much on our book orders (might be $10/month from the whole site). Still, it's better than a poke in the eye and the price the buyer pays is the same either way.

PPS - Just checked, you can order Wagner's House Framing for as little as $3.55 used!  ;)

jraabe

Just a reminder to folks. Some people only visit this forum and never venture into the main CountryPlans.com website...

I think you will find some valuable information there!

This page for one: http://www.countryplans.com/tools.html

peg_688

Bob sorry no interior newel post photo's  :(

If you can cut a hole in the floor and run the newel down thru then plumb it both ways , go under the house and solid block around the post . With "I" joist that can be a pain , but it is doable, Once blocked around lag bolt into it , making sure you re-check for plumb , use wood shims to tweak it in dead nuts plumb.

IF you have a joist directly underneather, ya it does happen  >:(, then you could bore a  1/2" dowel or rebar pin into the joist top and bottom of the newel , use that in comb with lags in recessed holes that you can plug , 1 1/4" recess hole and plug , use the lags driven into the stair jack / horse  to help you dial it in plumb.

There are other ways , steel plate srewed to the newel bottom that over hang the newel then are screwed down and covered with a rabbited bottom trim piece. Not the best way , but I've doen it before.

They sell a double lag screw bolt but you have to be able to turn the newel 360 deg. so they only work in a guard rail setup where the newel is not up against anything, unlikely that will work for you.

Johnson -Postman's  site is currently under const. they also have catalogs and booklets . Here's another site.  

http://www.stairservice.com/osc/coffman-stairbuilding-guide-p-1400.html?osCsid=0c6a949b760ffade919de249e0aa39db

http://www.stairsupplies.com/eng/products/stair_hardware_brackets

http://www.stairwarehouse.com/fasteners.html

The thru the floor option is the best / easyist way IF there is not joist in the way. Best all around as well make a real solid newel post.

G/L PEG  

Okie_Bob

Thanks John and Glenn, have the book on order, expedited shipping.
Peg, thanks for the great ideas. Not sure I want to tackle the I beam situation, which I have. But, know what I'm going to do now.
Seems this is an area that doesn't get much attention. I looked thru quite a number of trim books, etc and found basically nothing on how to do it. Saw a lot of pics but, not much help in the details. Guess I can learn as I go. I'll ty to take some pics when I get done.
I'm going to use the cable guard wires as I did on the deck. Same idea, only doing it inside. We'll see how it goes.
Okie Bob

glenn-k

Don't force it BoB.  Just look at it- think about it - look again - work on something else - sleep on it -- think about PEG's advice - etc - and soon the solution will come to you.

kev_alaska

Best advice on the whole site. This got me through lots of questions for our little house.

QuoteDon't force it BoB.  Just look at it- think about it - look again - work on something else - sleep on it -- think about PEG's advice - etc - and soon the solution will come to you.

peg_688

Don't force it BoB.  Just look at it- think about it - look again - work on something else - sleep on it --

[highlight]think about PEG's advice -[/highlight]

etc - and soon the solution will come to you.

Yes , very important  ;D ;D Not much of a speeller but he's got a few good ideas eh ;) ;D

glenn-k

Yeah -- but he's got a great big fricken head too. :) ;D

peg_688

Yeah -- but he's got a great big fricken head too. :) ;D

Ah ,,,,,,,,,,now Mister Adminasstrator man ,,,,,,,,, that not nice ta talk about one of our / your God members :( You'll make poor ole PEG  :'(  

Heheheheheheeh ;) The devil made me do it ;D

glenn-k

That's OK, PEG.  You are my favorite big headed know everything, can do kinda guy.   :)

peg_688

That's OK, PEG.  You are my favorite big headed know everything,

can do kinda guy.   :)

Hey now,  I was a airdale not a darned Seabee >:(

In fact we had a 20 year plankowner's reunion this past weekend ,

Mikie and Me , my Chevy mechanic buddy from Ferndale , he's the short bald guy ;) ;D

Damned fine plane captain , ole Mikie , a great mechanic & friend as well :) 8-)

So don't be callin me no Seabee eh!

No offence to any Seabee's out there ;)

peg_688

Oh ya sorry about the thread drift :-[ :o ;D

glenn-k

I think I got lost here --- SeaBee - Airedale -- --- I'm, not up with all the military lingo --- where did I go wrong??? :'(

glenn-k

Short Bald Guy --- That could refer to a lot of us compared to you.

Some people just don't know when to stop growing, PEG.

About the bald thing ---- Liken hair to grass.

Grass won't grow where things are moving but it grows great on a pile of crap. :)

peg_688

Seabee's motto "Can do!" Sort of a joke as you said I was a "Can do" type , so I drifted with it . The navy's sort of broken into clicks in a way , all the avaition guys are / can be called airdale's , or brown shoes . The brown shoes come from very early avaitors wore brown flight boots , then the officer and CPO's in aviation ranks / rates / jobs also can wear a brown dress shoe with some uniforms , also they can / could wear aviation green dress uniforms  the regular navy guys are called black shoes as they can not wear the avaition only stuff.

Of course all that is changing very soon when the navy changes ,dramatically, to a new blue camo type uni's and I hear the kaikies will be worn by the lower enlisted ranks , not the E-7 and above guys .  

Now of course there's sub groups like the gator navy , river boats , SEAL's might be gator navy types as well . Seabee's  fall outside both of those sub groups,  as do the bubble heads , submariners = bubbleheads ,

Simple eh :o ;D

But that still not the thing you missed Mister adminasstrator  ;D

glenn-k

There could be a reason for those brown shoes -- sometimes you can scare yourself pretty bad up there.  :-[

Still haven't figured out what I missed -- still looking. :-/

glenn-k

QuoteBest advice on the whole site. This got me through lots of questions for our little house.

QuoteDon't force it BoB.  Just look at it- think about it - look again - work on something else - sleep on it -- think about PEG's advice - etc - and soon the solution will come to you.

Gotta admit I stole that from Mike Oehler -- his book taught that to me -- it works.  I always remember that one. :)

peg_688

Jeesh you tired tonight  ::) My spellings not that bad , generally. there is no A S  S in adminstrator , well lessin a guy speels it that way intentionally ;D

Everyone must off a buildin this evening / holiday .

I hope all these fire works around here don't cause a fire  >:( What a waste of $$.  Ah well , to each there own eh ;)

glenn-k

Dude -- If you mean this one ---
QuoteMister Adminasstrator man

I'm used to you calling me stuff like that -----

I just can't get no respect. :'(

glenn-k

Oh - yeah -- I forgot to go up above ground and see if there were fireworks - some towns do it the night before so they can watch other peoples fireworks the next night. :)

peg_688

QuoteBest advice on the whole site. This got me through lots of questions for our little house.

Gotta admit I stole that from Mike Oehler -- his book taught that to me -- it works.  I always remember that one. :)

Huh , so does Mike owe me some royality's for my advice  ;D ;D  Just kidding eh  :-[ ;D