Bathroom fans--what is a minimalist approach?

Started by MikeT, December 12, 2007, 09:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

It looks like code has changed and bathroom fans are now a requirement for new construction.  What do you think would be the most cost-effective way to meet code?  Are bathroom fans all the same?  I guess one has to go with something more elaborate than just a fan on an exterior wall because that would not be a protection against the cold that could/would pour through.

Thanks for any thoughts...

mt

glenn kangiser

There are bathroom fans plain, or with a light or with a heater - not sure about with a light and heater.  They could have the self closing vent incorporated to them that is only open when the fan blows it open.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

So Mike, are you saying that just having an operable window isn't enough anymore? There must be an electric fan? I wasn't aware. I think I would be inclined to move it away from the exterior wall, go through the ceiling and route it in the attic anyway if it was me. But that is just me.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

I have done that but I don't think it will pass code. 

We have the code from Seattle on a link-- might take a bit of looking though.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

glenn kangiser

desdawg

I always thought it was an either/or situation. A window met the requirements but if you couldn't have one then a fan was required.  ???
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Okie_Bob

I don't kjnow about code requirements but, in my opinion, a fan is a necessity!
One thing to look for is the noise of the fan. You can get a cheap fan at Home Depot that sounds like a freight train
when you turn it on and you can spend about $300 and get one that you can't hear when you turn it on. There is a good
commercial running with a guy flipping a wall switch on and off and finally saying to his wife, this isn't working. She is looking
at him and notices his hair standing straigh up when he turns the fan on but since he can't hear it, he doesn't know it's working.

Anyway, look at the fan displays at HD and it tells you how sound is measureed and what to look for on the fan you pick out. And Glenn is right, you can get just a fan, a fan with light or a fan with heater and yep, a fan with light and heater!
Okie Bob
PS: I install them using the flex metal duct you use for your clothes dryer, attached to the self opening vent in a side wall. I never run anything thru my roof if I can avoid it and that is why I use studder valves in my plumbing vent with no roof penetrations.

glenn kangiser

Hey, BoB -- some of us like that freight train sound -- makes good camo.  :)

Billisnice

i went threw the wall with all venting electric fans.

John Raabe

I know I always show a 50 cfm bath fan and 100 cfm range hood as standard for new plans. Some code requirements may vary from this.

The style I like the best and one that's a good bargain is a combined unit with a three way switch - heat, light and fan. The fan is vented w/ 4" ducting to a hood at the sidewall with a backdraft damper to keep cold air out. These are usually ceiling mounted in the center of the room.

And yes, I like a bath fan that makes some noise. Some things are better not shared. ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

IRC2003 indicates that the figures John mentioned are the requirements WHEN rooms are ventilated by mechanical means (fan). What I could not find was any mention of whether or not a fan is required when there is an openable window. Of course there is a newer 2006 code and your local authorities may make changes as well.

But for my money I like having a vent fan, duct and the flapper equipped vent exhaust even if there is a window in the bathroom. I also like to put a timer switch on the fan so I can turn it on to vent for say, 10 minutes, then shut off automatically. That way I don't waste heated air in the winter or cooled air in the summer when I forget that I left the window open.

I also like the fan to make its presence known with a little noise.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

davidj

The Panasonic fans were recommended to me when I was remodeling my bathroom.  They're not available at Home Depot but you can get them online or at smaller hardware stores.  I've been very pleased with mine, although it might not provide adequate acoustic cover for those    post-burrito-and-beer mornings.

If you want maximum air flow for minimum noise, I believe rigid ducting is the way to go.  And horizontal runs angled to drain somewhere sensible (i.e. a side wall) as there will likely be condensation.  And I'd go for a fan and timer, not just a window.  My bathroom remodel was finally forced when most of the 80 years worth of paint on the walls and ceilings demonstrated its objection to the recently-installed shower by peeling off in millions of small flakes...

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, davidj.  I see you are getting right into the swing of things around here. :)

Billisnice

In the bathroom I use a humidity sensor and an override switch.  If the  humidity is above a certain level the fan comes on automatically and stays on 5-10 after the humidity is gone.  The manual switch is for bathroom smells.

lol

glenn kangiser

It beats having to whistle a tune all of the time...:)

MountainDon

Quote from: Billisnice on December 13, 2007, 06:56:52 AM
In the bathroom I use a humidity sensor and an override switch.  If the  humidity is above a certain level the fan comes on automatically and stays on 5-10 after the humidity is gone.  The manual switch is for bathroom smells.

lol

That's a great idea! No humidity to worry about in the desert though. It disperses rapidly.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

I am still curious about the original question. Bathroom fans--what is a minimalist approach? Is an exaust fan now required even if you have an operable window? I have seen some mighty small bathroom windows different places. Mike was looking for the minimum to meet the requirement. I haven't seen anything to tell me that has been changed. Requiring a fan would not be good news to the off grid community. Of course nobody said you have to turn it on.  :)

John Raabe

Good discussion. The Panasonic fans are an upgrade from the standard Braun and Nautilus (both are nosier) - they are rated @ under 1 sone and can be used as whole house fans where they are controlled by a 24hr timer to provide fresh air periodically to tight houses.
Another option for whole house ventilation is the American Aldes octopusc*
None of us are as smart as all of us.

waggin

Seems the minimalist approach would be to get one of the cheap, noisy fans that can mount vertically (some are configured for vertical and others horizontal, ie: for ceiling mount) in the wall & direct vent out through the siding.  The fans cost about $30 a few years back, and the rest of the ducting & dryer vent hood shouldn't add up to more than a total of $50.  If I remember correctly, the fan box has a flapper valve, and then you can use a dryer vent hood with a flapper on the exterior as well.  That should minimize the cold air flow into the house when not in operation.  Just make sure code allows for wall mt vs. ceiling. 

In my existing house, I added ceiling mount fans & vented through the attic out roof jacks.  I went with the Nutone fans rated for continuous running to use during hot weather to draw some cooler air into the house.  They're the quiet (less than 1 sone) model, which per previous posts, has it's drawbacks in terms of discretion.  Those ran around $80ea when I bought them.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Reviewing this question again I think this may be an idea.