Perc Test Questions

Started by Adkstalker, December 16, 2013, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adkstalker

Hi All,

Been hanging around as a guest, thought I'd join today!
I am considering a purchase of land in the Adirondack mountains od NY.  Most if not all contracts are contingent on a successful perc test.  This is where I have some "newbie" type questions.

1. The parcel I am interested in has no driveway or access.  Would I have to cut in so an engineer can perform the perc?
2. My assumption is if the perc was not successful, I just spent some needless money..and gave the seller some unneeded access.  Im hoping I am wrong, but what has been others experiences?

Thanks

Redoverfarm

Here you do not need a permanent access.  You can walk in to where the perk holes are. In fact a little labor intensive but they can be dug by hand.  Only problem is that they have to be filled to do the test.  If you can use/have a 4 wheeler to haul water you are good to go.  Dependent on your individual state as far as the requirements of the size perk holes that are needed you may have to get a small piece of machinery in there to accomplish it.  Here a minimum of 8"dia X 36"D is sufficent.  Here is a link to NY.

http://inspectapedia.com/septic/NYS75-A.4.htm