Cabin project in east washington

Started by diyfrank, November 22, 2008, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

Heres an update to my progress, I'm getting there slowly.
I have my stairs built and a start on my siding.

Home is where you make it

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Cool!  It feels good to make progress doesn't it?  [cool]

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

diyfrank

I haven't updated in a while and yes It feels good to be making progress no matter how slowly it may seem.

I have the rest of the siding done and finished the Hardie singles.

The weather is trying to turn on me but I feel good about getting this far.

diyfrank

My ridge cap when purchased came with a roll of either a roll of a solid foam to seal the ridge cap down or a roll of a lighter type that is breathable for a vented cap. Mine is vented so I have the breathable foam.

Question, Would sealing up the roof panels with a spray foam like Great stuff be good or bad and still allow the inside of my roof to continue to vent. ???

OlJarhead

I see you used a ladder leaning against the roof to work on the ridge cap...how'd that work out?  I have a 28 foot ladder that I might have to try this with but the ridge cap at the tall end of mine is 19 feet up!

diyfrank

I haven't been up there to work on the cap yet but I did give it a test climb and it feels right. I just position the ladders for the next trip.
I'm right at the 19' mark also.

OlJarhead

Quote from: diyfrank on October 25, 2011, 06:23:29 AM
I haven't been up there to work on the cap yet but I did give it a test climb and it feels right. I just position the ladders for the next trip.
I'm right at the 19' mark also.

How long is the ladder?  I'll have to try that and see how it works.  My son can hold the bottom I guess though maybe some big spikes would be good too!  Just seems like an awfully shallow angle?

I need to get my ridge cap properly buttoned down and the gables done but I've neglected to get it done all summer and here we are coming into winter again :( 

diyfrank

My ladders are 24' and feel very solid. If you adjust the angle to match the pitch it has a feeling like it belongs there. 

I've seen guys at work take a heavy piece of plywood about 1' square and nail a small box onto it from 2"x2" making a box the ladder feet set into. A couple hole in the plywood allow spiking it to the ground.

OlJarhead

Quote from: diyfrank on October 25, 2011, 09:26:58 PM
My ladders are 24' and feel very solid. If you adjust the angle to match the pitch it has a feeling like it belongs there. 

I've seen guys at work take a heavy piece of plywood about 1' square and nail a small box onto it from 2"x2" making a box the ladder feet set into. A couple hole in the plywood allow spiking it to the ground.

Cool thanks!  Then my 28' ladder should do the trick and maybe I can finally get the ridge cap done!  I ned to affix it completely and box the ends in as well as get the gable trim on....time to give this a try!