12x16 Timber Frame Cabin

Started by Whitlock, October 01, 2008, 12:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

He said he has lots of photo's.  d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I'll bet he does.  :)    ...and I don't blame him for playing the tease.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Don the cabin is not finished yet (will it ever be probably not ;D)I do have it to the dry in stage. Will be working on it more this winter.As for square nails Glenn, yes :) I also have about 15 pounds of 6p squares that I'm going to use for the interior.My wife thought I was crazy for buying square nails off of e-bay [crz] I think she might be right  heh

More later i have to go finish digging a french drain,Whitlock
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

Square nails were available as cut concrete nails at Coast Hardware but were new made on the old machine. I also bought a half cigar box full of old nails off of Ebay a few years ago. d*

Could we both be [crz] hmm   I seriously doubt it.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

Siding time. I looked at siding down at Home depot and Lows in the valley. Just couldn't bring my self to buy any.
Thought about resawing some 2x12 Redwood that I scored in the Santa Cruz mountains a couple of years ago. After resawing one of the 2x12's I decided that it made them a little on the thin side for my liking so I used them the way they were. Yes 2x12 clear vertical grain redwood siding and roof sheeting. Now you all know I'm crazy heh. The catch is I bought 15,000bf of it for .26 a bf a couple of years ago [cool] I realy wanted to build something with it, and the amount of money I had in it, made it the cheaper than any siding I could buy.( I know I over build everyting) So it became my roof sheeting and cabin siding.

Some of the roof sheeting has knots in it ???

glenn kangiser

That's knot a problem is it?  :)

Whitlock

Knot unless one falls out and lands in my dinner d*

glenn kangiser

Whitlock

Knot unless it wasen't a square meal [hungry]

Redoverfarm

Whitlock I think you surpassed me when it comes to patience.  The only exception was that you could make yours square and I had to take mine the way they were made 100+ years ago.  Are you going to use a batten strip to cover the joints in the siding?

Whitlock

Yes I'm going to put the battens on this winter. Redoverfarm I once built a cabin like yours. There was a old cabin on forest servise land that was to be burned down. I found out about it from my girl friend that worked for the F.S. I went though all the proper cannels to see about getting the cabin and restoring it. Got the door slamed in my face every time. So i said the hell with it and me and my dad numbered all the logs and moved it to my place. All that was left of it was the walls. They were hand hewn 8x10's with dovetailed corners. I was abile to put it back up with in 6 months. Wish I had a picture :( Went to work one summer down in the valley and when I came back someone had burned it down >:( Was it the F.S? I think so [toilet]

As for patience you have me beat by a long way :)

Take care,Whitlock

glenn kangiser

FS and BLM are our number one arsonist and vandals up here when it comes to destroying history so the public can't have it.

I know of 3 places personally on private land where they broke in and destroyed private property.  They got shot at on one.  Junker working for them had his trailer vandalized on another- later he found out they had no right there.  I have heard of one place where the FS vandals were shot and eaten by hogs.  :o

The other they kicked the doors off the cabin - vandalized it and likely were preparing to burn it when caught by the owner.  It took him 2.5 years in court to get them to agree he owned it - their excuse-- they were using an old map....

Infiltrated by radical environmentalists, the public agencies are trying to take public lands away from the public.  It used to be un-Constitutional when we were under the old Constitution.  Under the current dictatorship, it is not a big deal.

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser link=topic=5331.msg 67837#msg 67837 date=1223137688
FS and BLM are our number one arsonist and vandals up here when it comes to destroying history so the public can't have it.

I know of 3 places personally on private land where they broke in and destroyed private property.  They got shot at on one.  Junker working for them had his trailer vandalized on another- later he found out they had no right there.  I have heard of one place where the FS vandals were shot and eaten by hogs.  :o

The other they kicked the doors off the cabin - vandalized it and likely were preparing to burn it when caught by the owner.  It took him 2.5 years in court to get them to agree he owned it - their excuse-- they were using an old map....

Infiltrated by radical environmentalists, the public agencies are trying to take public lands away from the public.  It used to be unConstitutional when we were under the old Constitution.  Under the current dictatorship, it is not a big deal.

What the heck are you trying to hijack my thread for political gain rofl rofl rofl
What Glenn has stated is true the feds are a joke around here.

As for the man feeding the dead guys to his pigs this is true also. It seems that the forest service was giving him a lot of crap about the road he used and part of his trailer was on F.S. land 2 feet to be exact. So they took it upon them selves to go to his house and burn it down. Little did they know he was siting on the floor with a sawed off shotgun in the dark weighting. When they came threw the door he shot and killed both of them, Drug them to the hog pin and though them in. He went to court and won!
Now can we get back to my little cabin,Whitlock

glenn kangiser

You said FS....... I couldn't help it. [crz]

...and don't forget - I'm not political.   I'm anti-authoritarian.  :)

Good for gramps, eh? ::)

Criminals acting under color of law are still criminals.  >:(

Dang -- I did it again. d*

Whats up next with the cabin? hmm heh

John Raabe

Whitlock:

I just want to congratulate you on such a handsome cabin project. The exposed timber and thick redwood sheathing and siding will make this a 100 year building... barring acts of God, vandals or government.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Whitlock

Well back to the cabin. After all the siding and sheeting was up it was time to get the roof on. I wanted to put a tin roof on but doing it by my self would of been a mess on a 12/12. Also at are local S.P.C.A thrift store they had a half pallet of forty year comp for $5.00 I couldn't pass this up. I did have to buy the ridge from a supplier.But I still wish I would of put a tin roof on it ??? O'well I can do that later.
The cabin is going to have a loft, full or half I have not decided yet ???

Here is a picture with the roof on and the windows in.

One of part of the interior.

Alasdair

Lorangerlife

Amazing work. 

I can wait to see what the interior looks like.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Here is a picture of the cabin last winter in the snow. I think this was the last day I worked on it.
Going to start back up today. Have to barrow a angle head drill from Glenn to drill the frame to run the electrical wires.

peteh2833

That looks beautiful. Where are you located???
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

glenn kangiser

He's up the road from me about a mile.  Hopefully he's having a great time drilling holes to his heart's content right now. ::)

Whitlock

Got all the holes drilled thanks to Glenn and his mountain of tools :)
Peteh2833 I'm just up the road from Glenn about a mile. Can't see him but I can hear him
Now to run the electric heh and then insulation.

That was a lot of snow for this area [cool]

Take care,W

glenn kangiser

Glad I was able to be of service.  I know you will feed us soon.... heh  [hungry]

glenn kangiser

I am sometimes a noisy little rascal. ::)