20x30 1 1/2 story in Northern PA

Started by peteh2833, August 24, 2007, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

I just stopped the insulation and baffles short because I don't have the sofit and facia done yet. I just blocked the ends with insulation to keep the cold air out now. In the spring when I put the metal on I'll do the sofit and facia and then finish the insulation and baffles. I'm going to use a mixture of drywall and 3/4 T&G on the walls. The end walls upstairs will be drywall as well as the divider wall. The rest upstairs will be T&G. Down stairs will be mostly drywall because there is already alot of wood and the floors will be wood and ceramic tile. Thanks. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

wed68

Pete..... I love the cabin,  I am currently building a 18X26 on Toledo Bend lake in Central Louisiana,  I have a few questions if you dont mind!

What thickness is the T&G boards your using in the upstairs?  Is it solid enough with the 32" centers,  I really like the look and would love to copy it!

Thanks in advance and keep the pictures coming

peteh2833

wed68, If you are talking about the T&G on the floor it is 2x6 T&G Pine. I think you can even go with a large span with the 2x6 T&G but I kept it at 32" OC. The loft floor upstairs is very solid and has no bounce or deflection. I will be using 3/4 T&G on the loft knee wall and ceiling. Any other ?'s just ask. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

wed68

Thanks for the quick reply,  I may try to start my own build thread soon. 

Where did you get the 2x6 T&G?  Custom milled?

peteh2833

No, got it from the local Lumber Yard. Not Home Depot or Lowes but a local store that sells mostly lumber. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

I made it up to camp on Thursday and Friday last week. Here are some pics of the progress. I know it doesn't look like much but I got alot done. I finished the loft floor and we finished most of the wiring on the 1st floor and in the loft. I still have some wiring to do. I also started installing the PEX Tubing for the plumbing and got the hot water tank in.

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

It's coming right along Pete. The wiring and plumbing take longer than what the finished results would indicate. Have you started the DWV piping? It's usually best to get those things in place before the wiring and the PEX as DWV doesn't bend as easily as the other.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peteh2833

I have most of the drain pipes ran under the camp. I did this before I put the subfloor down. I have no codes so I will be using Studer Valves as vents. Thanks Don. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Pete I think I would re-think the vent stack.  I have heard that they (Studer) are no subsitute for main lines only hard to service items away from the main works.  It is really no problem with a vent stack and the metal roof.  They make inexpensive boots to use for metal.  And yes they do go bad.  If you haven't run your DMV then I would consider a vent.

peteh2833

Redoverfarm, The only problem I have is that I have no common chase to the roof. The bathroom wall is right over a beem and there is no wall above it. The small camp I have now has no vents and works well. Do you think it will be a problem with no vents???
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Might want to drop a PM to ScottA and run it past him as he is a plumber. Personally it was trouble for me as well but I worked through it. Mine was open beam and I dropped the ceiling in one area to take care of getting it to the roof.  If you had something to look at I am sure he could give some good advice.  With the Studor I was told they they can go bad and it needs air to draw.  Therefore you can't put them in partitions that are sealed up.  You wouldn't want to anyway to have access anyway.   

peteh2833

Thanks. I'm going up on Thursday/Friday again and I'll try to map it out. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

There is a reason the Studer valves have threads for installation. They are designed for replacement when they fail.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Here's a link to the specification sheet for the Mini-Vent.  It is a PDF file.

The installation instructions state: "a minimum of one vent shall extend to the open atmosphere for every building drainage system." among other things.

FWIW, here's a really old thread on them
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=612.0

John_M

Sorry guys but what is DWV piping???   ???
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MountainDon

peteh2833

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

John_M

Quote from: MountainDon on March 11, 2009, 01:26:37 PM
DWV = drain waste vent

That's one of those things that seems so obvious afterwards!!!   d*
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

ScottA

That's ok it's plumber lingo. You can't expect to know everything.  d*

pete I recommend you try to get one vent out somewhere. The toilet vent is the one I'd pick. Also don't seal a studor vent up inside a wall.

I just finnished mine and they all go outside. It can be done but can take some creativity.

peteh2833

I might be able to get the toliet and bathroom sink vented out. Also maybe the shower and washer on another line. But the kitchen sink I won't be able to. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Sounds like a plan Pete. I can't get my kitchen sink to outside either (Island) so Studor it is. 

peteh2833

I made it up to camp on Thursday and Friday. Didn't get much work done. I cleaned up some outside since it was nice out and all the snow was gone. I haven't seen the ground since early November !!!! I built a small knee wall that is actually 36" high instead of a railing in the loft by the stairs to keep my young children from going over it an falling down the stairs. I also got some of the insulation in the walls. Also, I woke up Friday morning and was having a power problem. I called the power Company and they sent  someone out after I left for home. They called on my way home to tell me that I had a bad Lug in the base for my meter and that I needed a new base for the meter. So they pulled the meter and disconnected the power at the weather head and stated that I could call when I had the new base installed and they would turn the power back on. Oh ya, and by the way there is a $50 reconnect few. Here are some Pics. Pete

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Nice work Pete.  When you get it all buttoned up that stove will probably run you out of there. ;D

peteh2833

Yes it will and my wife will love it because she is always cold !!!!!!
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

Made it up to camp on Thursday and Friday. I got my new meter base installed and got the power back on. Of course it poured when I was working on it. I got some small stuff done like cleaning up the mess from several projects, finished some wiring, some more insulation installed and worked on the drain waste lines. The drain lines took awhile to do since all of the work was from under the camp on my back !!! I got the toliet installed and the bathroom vanity drain line installed. Only a couple more to go. Here are a few pics. Pete

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp