Happy fathers day

Started by peternap, April 28, 2008, 03:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

My wife decided to give me an early fathers day present.
She thought I should stop carrying those puny 44's.

The bottom is my 6" Dan Wessom 44 mag
The top is my new Magnum Research 45 Long Colt/410 3" BFR. ;D

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Looks like a nice Father's Day Gift.... gee... the last one the girls and I got DH was a grill, and that has actually benefitted us just as much as him.  Before that, it was a chainsaw.  Thoughtful woman you've got there. ;D

ScottA

Any chance you might have maybe posibly given her a hint what you wanted peter? Nice sidearms btw.

BiggKidd

Nice Peter,

I know where you can get rid of that puny Dan Wesson. It would look nice beside my Super Blackhawk. :)

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

peternap

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get rid of it Larry. I'll let you know before I do
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Who knows what the F in BFR really stands for?

BTW, nice revolver, Peter.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on April 28, 2008, 05:11:34 PM
Who knows what the F in BFR really stands for?

BTW, nice revolver, Peter.

Biggest, Finest, Revolver. So sayeth the owners manual.

MountainDon

Absolutely correct!  :)

The other answer is probably unofficially correct as well.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Help me out here Don. I'm getting ready to order my extra cylinder. I can't decide between 45/70 or 450 Marlin. The Marlin gives a few hundred FPS extra but the 45/70 can be loaded to that level and above. Case life for the 45/70 is considerably shorter in hot loads.

MountainDon

Hmmm.  ???  Okay.  :D  The first thing that came to my mind was whether or not the 450 Marlin would be a new caliber to you. I personally don't like complicating things with the introduction of another size, unless necessary. But maybe that's just me. If you already used both calibers... that makes it harder to decide. I guess that wasn't a whole lot of help.  ::) 

Do you have to do any gun work to make the change?

I had a similar "size" decision with whether or not I wanted to get the Ryobi One Plus 18 VDC circular saw. Not only was it a new blade diameter, it uses a unique sized arbor. Different problem but the same. The Ryobi saw advantages won out.  :D

NM_Shooter

Nice gift!  Does your wife have any sisters? 

Oh wait.  I am married and subsequently afraid of women.  Never mind. (Note to loving wife...Just kidding sweetie)

I'm with Don.  Are you looking to collect calibers, or instead simplify your ammo requirements?  Do you reload?

I wonder what the barrel diameter is....the 45LC has a bullet diameter of .454", and the 45-70 and 450 Marlin have diameters of .458

It would be interesting to see if that barrel is tuned for the 45LC or 45-70 projectile.

Would you do us(me?) a favor and fire a .410 round at 10 yards into a 30" circle, mark the pellets with a marker, and take a picture?  I'd like to see what effect the rifling has on distribution.  Even just #6 would be fine.  I don't suppose you have a chronograph?   :)

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on April 28, 2008, 08:55:55 PM
Nice gift!  Does your wife have any sisters? 

Oh wait.  I am married and subsequently afraid of women.  Never mind. (Note to loving wife...Just kidding sweetie)

I'm with Don.  Are you looking to collect calibers, or instead simplify your ammo requirements?  Do you reload?

I wonder what the barrel diameter is....the 45LC has a bullet diameter of .454", and the 45-70 and 450 Marlin have diameters of .458

It would be interesting to see if that barrel is tuned for the 45LC or 45-70 projectile.

Would you do us(me?) a favor and fire a .410 round at 10 yards into a 30" circle, mark the pellets with a marker, and take a picture?  I'd like to see what effect the rifling has on distribution.  Even just #6 would be fine.  I don't suppose you have a chronograph?   :)

-f-

Yep, I handload and have a chronograph.  The 450 would be a new caliber while I use 45/70 already and do shoot very hot loads from my Marlin Guide Gun. I haven't slugged the barrel yet but I expect it's a compromise fit as well as twist.

It does have a removable choke very much like the TC Contender so I expect patterns will be quite good. I have killed quail with my TC.