Solar Saltbox with Basement?

Started by Daddymem, March 04, 2005, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddymem

Hi.  We're in love with the solar saltbox plans.  We live in Massachusetts, have an empty lot, and are ready to build.  Has anyone had any experience with modifying the plans for use over a full basement?  Would the thermal column still work?

Thanks,
Daddymem
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

John Raabe

It would be very easy to modify the plan for a full basement. The stair is setup for such a layout. You could use the thermal column on the structural hearth above and just extend the walls down into the basement and use this sturdy room as a storage vault or safe room.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Jochen

John,

I have just ordered the Saltbox Plans and have problems to understand you.

" You could use the thermal column on the structural hearth above and just extend the walls down into the basement ......"

Only a lot of ????????? are coming up for me.

Cheers,
Jochen

glenn kangiser

Hi Jochen.  Nice to hear from you again.  Lots of people love your place.

John was on the road but has been checking in.  Hope to get an answer from him soon.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jochen

Glen,

Thanks for the welcome back. I know I should have posted earlier! But to much work, way to much work and then I was sick as well. I had a hearth attack this summer when I was home and my children found me in front of our horse barn. My nine year old girl had to call the paramedics. And she managed it! I'm still around. ;D  But I promise to look for updated pictures of my place and will try to post them soon. But I'm already again on the wrong side of the Atlantic so I have to see what I can find on my Laptop.

The Saltbox should become Moni's new place. Mine is finished now and it is time to built a new home for her and our two little girls.

Jochen

glenn kangiser

Sorry to hear about the heart attack, Jochen.  We always enjoy hearing from you and seeing your great work.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

apaknad

hi jochen,

i don't really know you yet but i hope you will be ok.

unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

John Raabe

Jochen:

Glad to hear the ticker restart kicked in. We hate to lose anybody that way (or any other way for that matter >:().

When you see the actual plans my earlier statement will make more sense... There is a concrete block wall on a fireplace slab in the crawlspace that supports the structural slab for the stove and thermal storage column. In a basement layout you would build those block walls higher as needed to support the main floor hearth and then you would have a concrete room in the basement for a dungeon, safe room, fireproof and soundproof vault or whatever...

Also, after thinking about the plan you may decide to do a more conventional heating system and eliminate the thermal storage column and the air plenum loop altogether. It makes most sense in a good solar climate and when you will also use the wood stove much of the year for home heating. It makes less sense with a standard furnace on in a less ideal solar site. We can explore options for your specific site after you sit with your plans awhile and post a question on the Plan Support forum.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

alcowboy

Glad to hear you are doing ok Jochen. I am sure that was a scary time for those girls. Keep us posted and may God bless and keep you well.