rolling murphy bed / tent idea

Started by cbc58, December 30, 2008, 10:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

Please excuse me if this is the wrong spot but I had an idea today and thought the minds here might be interested in this concept.

I was posting in another thread about a murphy bed and the thought occured to me that it would be cool to design a tent/trailer around a murphy bed... so that you could go camping in a real full-size bed. 

So instead of the typical trailer that was flat and popped up, this was about 6' tall, compact and folded down.  Would save a ton of storage space and just about any car could tow it.  Fold the bed down, pop up a tent around it.  You could have all kinds of slide out do-hickys and fold down whatcha-ma-call-its and anyone could build one.

The devil is in the design.  Anyone want to try to design one?

John_C

Google   teardrop trailers.     They have been around for a long time and in their evolution have optimized what can be done with trailer that can be towed by almost any car any quite e few motorcycles.

I've got some problems with the 6' tall concept.  A tall light trailer would have issues in even moderate winds.

Redoverfarm

I would opt for the "Aero Bed" . Self inflating and stored away when not using.  I almost bought one of those Motorcycle trailers once but no more than I used it I couldn't justify it at the time.  Instead I got a Caboose trailer and that way when I roughed it I could take the tent, lawn chairs, firewood, coolers, camp stove , queen size inflatable and what ever else I could get inside and on the rack.  As I have gotten a little more older I have gained less tolerance with the ground.  I try to use a mattress & box springs now. 

cbc58

yeah... I was thinking after the post that it might be too tall and that it could be built on an incline.  then I thought why have a trailer at all and create something that rests on top of a car rack. 

anyone seen this yet:   http://www.sylvansport.com/index.html     

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"