refugee shack

Started by Jens, March 01, 2011, 01:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

I was watching No Reservations on the travel channel with my wife tonight, and they were in Haiti.  It is amazing to me that with all of the contests for low cost refugee shelter ideas, everyone is still in tents.  It got me to thinking of a flat packable unit, self contained.  Pulled out the laptop, and started sketching-up.

The kids want a playhouse, treehouse, clubhouse type of thing, so I just may build one in the back yard. 

materials list:

6@2x4x16'
6@4x4x10' PT
13@2x6x16 (decking)
6@1x3x12' strapping
4@3/4" CDX
2@18"x96"x1/4" plexi/polycarbonate/screen/whatever for window/ventilation strips
4 pc 144"x36" metal roofing (I think it comes in 36 wide, can't remember!)
6' pre-formed valley
2 sets of hinges

55 gallon drum from soda factory
1.5" pvc pipe
harbor freight solar panel kit
I homemade solar water heater (black garden hose wrapping back and forth on roof)

Here's the simple framing

Here you can see the front porch, a small covered area where a camp stove or open fire could be cooked on.
the door is closed in this view, and should be metal roofing.

here the door is swung open

with the door open, it becomes two of the walls for a shower stall, the fourth hinges off of sidewall
the rain barrel sits on the roof that covers the firewood.

As you can see, the idea quickly changed from a basic refugee shack to something a bit more.  In high wind areas, some roof changes should be made to keep from getting ripped off.  I think it could be a fun shack for guests, or when building a cottage/cabin.

Rough dimensions are 12'x5' for the deck, 8'x5' inside.  there is enough room for a single bunk over a double, or even queen size bed.  One could easily make the doors be hinged wall sections around the porch, holding a small kitchen setup, and make the shower stall unmovable.  Everything could fit in one truckload (with a lumber rack) or trailerload, probably be built in a day.  More modules could be added as well.

I would be interested in seeing other thoughts on flat pack houses, and think that it is time that one of these micro houses from this website was built.  I think I just may try and round up the pieces for this one.

John, if you are interested in making a plan set for this site, I can send you my sketchup files.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Squirl

Innovative.  I especially like the roof design for rainwater catchment. 

Just a few points. I would add some lag bolts or Simpson brackets for the pieces hanging off the wood.
Also the drum seems like it would be too heavy for 2 2x4's.  55 gallons of water at 8.35 lbs per gallon would be 460 lbs.  I am no engineer.  I would probably like more information on what a 2x4 can take.

It would be very suitable for a climate like Haiti, but the innovative roof design would hold all the snow and collapse in a more northern location.  I wouldn't advise it for a playhouse in any snow area.

Jens

the most snow we ever get is a few inches.  460 lbs of water, don't think that would cause a problem since the tails there are very short, and are the extensions of 16' triangulated braces/rafters.  If it did though, just add some triangulation going down to the posts.  Like I said, just a concept I thought of last night. 

Thanks for your feedback Squirl  8)

I haven't looked at the under 200ft thread in a while, but now I see there are some more little ones going up...sweet.

I put this in its own thread because it wasn't really along the lines of the other thread (not fully contained, just more than a tent, less than a cabin), and in Owner Builder section because I'm gonna round up my scrap and put one together for the kids...just in case anyone was wondering. 

unfortunately, I have more ideas popping up now too.  I don't have time for all this theorizing!   ;)

how is your cabin squirl?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Squirl

Quote from: Jens on March 01, 2011, 01:28:42 PM
how is your cabin squirl?

Under a few feet of snow.  Waiting for another month to be able to get to it.

Barry Broome

I have experience with Haitian refugees in Providenciales... a section called Five Cays. Most Americans really have no comprehension...
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

RusticJames

Good, functional idea with minimal use of materials! What software did you use to draw this?

Jens

Rusticjames- google sketchup

Weasel- help us to comprehend.  Is this comment a criticism (its ok if it is, but please explain your point, we are all here to learn)?

RusticJames

Barry Broome

My point is that the vast majority of Americans have no comprehension of how Hatians live or who they are. I have experienced working in their communities. It is a very humbling experience and helped me realize just how much we take for granted. Never did any ask me for money. But many did ask me for work. But it is very hard to explain to others how other cultures are different than our own. Because it is human nature, I think, to make assumptions about human behavior, what drives people, and what people want. I think the first step in understanding other cultures is to forget what drives us, our friends, communities, and even our nation.

Anyway I know that was off topic here... but there was amazement about people living in tents in a country where many live in little better all their lives.

RusticJames

Weasel, you have experienced Haiti but the rest of us don't have to go all the way to Haiti to experience homelessness and substandard housing.

There are many people right here in my state of Michigan who live on the street with no shelter whatsoever. In fact, it is not uncommon to find people sleeping underneath park benches with cardboard boxes and plastic bags pieced together to block the wind and snow. You can find this even in an affluent college town like Ann Arbor and it is even more common in Detroit. In fact, this is a sad reality throughout the USA. The attached Wall Street Journal link describes one example.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704302304575214621734816124.html.

Jens' idea could help a lot of people who need simple, low cost shelter from the elements. What is needed is an area where people could actually utilize a simple shelter to move a step beyond the park bench or viaduct. Building codes preclude anyone from using tents or simple shelters in the USA. It seems that we would rather have people sleeping openly on the ground rather than in simple shelters or tents. Nobody wants a homeless camp in their neighborhood and nobody wants to see it when they drive by.

Maybe we should set aside areas where homeless people could erect simple shelters away from public view. The area could be patrolled by police or monitored by surveillance cameras. This would give people a low cost way to support themselves until they could do better. It would also prevent people from having to live in public parks or sleep on sidewalks. It would also take some of the pressure off overburdened homeless shelters.

This is how I looked at Jens' idea and it is needed here in the USA, not just in places like Haiti.

Barry Broome

RusticJames & Jens,

I do sincerely apologize for my rambling. You'll have to forgive me. I've been far too involved in politics the last year and have a few too many ideas on politics/socioeconomics. I was wrong for going down that road and I knew better. It's just a little bit of my personality left over from the campaign trail. I love this forum and the experiences we share here. Jens idea is a great one and I'm glad he posted it on here. Again forgive me for any annoyances I may have caused. I am glad for every post on this forum and am glad to be a member here. I check the updates on this daily.... fun fun!!!

Weasel

rick91351

The small structure Jens drew.
So simple and so easy to build.
Yet so out of reach.
For most of the world.

The life of a refugee,
be it earthquake, winds,
rains or political unrest.
Life just clings to hope.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

StinkerBell

Don_P

I've been getting emails this week from a family friend and nurse who is over there. I would agree, we have a real hard time comprehending.
" I cannot describe the poverty and conditions that these people live in.  This is not earthquake related, but abject poverty.  The Haitian nurse and doc and I saw 284 patients.  There were about 200 people waiting when we got there and more came when word spread.  No phones needed.  About 500 people eventually showed up.
We saw a nine month old baby who weighed 10 pounds...scabies and malnutrition.  Just skin and bone.  Mom holding him and loving him.  Did she know he probably will not live?  Fifteen year old boy with hernia, no treatment available but tylenol and referral to hospital.  Maybe he will go, but probably not until it becomes a critical problem, and maybe not then.  I cannot describe it."

stpauligirlmn

I think that is a wonderfully innovative plan!  I am impressed by the rainwater collection and the solar collection.  I've never been to Haiti, but I believe it could be the world's great solar experiment, if enough people decided to make that happen. 

I'm not sure, but I believe wood is pretty scare on the island.  I'm wondering if you could build this with another material?  How about cement blocks or gabions filled with rubble (I know they have lots of rubble). 

I would like to see these as permanent structures.  Another temporary housing solution just seems too cruel.  Very innovative Jens!

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Weasel on March 06, 2011, 03:02:17 PM
RusticJames & Jens,

I do sincerely apologize for my rambling. You'll have to forgive me. I've been far too involved in politics the last year and have a few too many ideas on politics/socioeconomics. I was wrong for going down that road and I knew better. It's just a little bit of my personality left over from the campaign trail. I love this forum and the experiences we share here. Jens idea is a great one and I'm glad he posted it on here. Again forgive me for any annoyances I may have caused. I am glad for every post on this forum and am glad to be a member here. I check the updates on this daily.... fun fun!!!

Weasel

No apology necessary, Weasel, and I try to be the worst off topic person here if possible.  It is my contention that by straying a bit from the topic on a related tangent we learn much more that we would ever learn otherwise. 

Thanks for bringing your experience and insight to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

UK4X4

Simple artful and looks good.

The issue is how to build one with no wood, no tin and no nails...

the nearest Homedepot being in Florida !

If it can be shipped thats fine but there are already solutions in a box that serve well and you get more in a 40ft container than a pile of 2x4's

As some one also mentioned the existing accomodation before the problem was almost as bad...

Other people are already doing the ship in idea with a man portable size Shelter BOX
as transportation of raw materials is also dificult.

I really liked the tools as a way forward after the tent wears out !

http://www.shelterbox.org/about.php?page=9

Jens

Weasel, no worries at all man!  Like I said, ok to criticize, or even outright disagree, just wanted to hear the basis of it. 

It is very true, that we Americans have absolutely no clue about the living conditions of most of the world, and what they need. 

The thought was that this shelter could be prefabbed for roughly $600 a piece in materials in the US.  packed flat, maybe hundreds could fit in one container.  It could be assembled with a screwdriver. 

It may not be the real solution, as it cannot be 100% produced locally for them.  Time to get people down there to teach how to build a foundation out of concrete rubble, and cob walls maybe.

Native_NM

Just a thought:

The concept is nice, but everything I have read indicates a dome is the best shape for disaster-type housing, especially in areas like Haiti that are subject to high winds.  Like a teepee, a dome can withstand very high winds with far less foundation requirement than a box.  The two sections of your roof look like "wings" to me, just waiting for the wind to carry it off.  Maybe I'm off, but I watched my neighbors shed-in-progress blow away a one spring in 40 mph winds, and it was nothing more than an 8x10 T-111 box that had not been anchored yet.

I think your your design would would great in the right area under the right conditions.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Don_P

It took about 70 mph but the poorly anchored roof of my little 8x12 sailed around 200' down the hill  d*.
A dome is tough to cover with sheet goods. Which got me to thinking a dome is simply a fully rotated arch. Which is probably why the military fell in love with the quonset hut, an arch that was quick to erect and could be easily covered by sheet goods.

Native_NM

Jens

for sure the roof would pose a problem in high wind areas.  the overhang could be removed.  I agree that a dome is the best for this problem, but doesn't seem easily pre-fabbed or assembled by people with few skills.  This design was inspired by the haiti issues, not completely designed for them.

the best solution IMO, would be houses dug into the hillsides, Pueblo style.  the two biggest issues, water and wind, wouldn't effect them much.  For that matter, get a military helicopter out there, and use it to stack containers up the slope of a mountain or hill, and partly bury them.  When a hurricane comes, just close the doors and go to sleep. 

Native_NM

Perhaps expanding on this concept:

http://ddf.mit.edu/projects/CABIN/index.html

Maybe a CNC prefab dome?

Don_P

It took awhile for me to remember the architect's name. This fellow worked on an interesting dome building technique in the 70's-early '80's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_Houses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nader_Khalili