Basic question of noteable importance to me: Filling nail/screw holes in T 1 11

Started by FrankInWI, September 05, 2013, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

I am rebuilding a decrepit large garage.  I am finally to the siding work.  I am installing T1 11 by securing it with screws, and nails.  The screw holes can be a bit deep having needed to use the screw to pull the siding tight.  What is the best way to fill these screw holes?  I'm leaning toward a paintable silicone caulk.  I am priming and painting the garage with the primer/paint in one can product.
god helps those who help them selves

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Normally headed nails are used.  Driven not to penetrate into the doow but to lay against the surface.  But since you used screws to pull the sheeting that is about all that can be done.  You could have minimized the damage by just using an occassional screw to draw down and then nail on either side of the screw.  You should be fine. 

MountainDon

What John said. I'll add that I believe ring shank nails are the best nails for this.

And also note that nails that break the surface like that are not counted if the nailing is on structural sheathing. And for structural panels, screws don't count at all unless approved for the purpose. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix. If this is T1-11 over sheathing it's fine. If the T1-11 is structural I hope there are not many of those pull throughs. Add nails around them then as John mentioned.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Oldmanmrb

After all of this if you want no fastener applications to show several things are acceptable. DAP or Elmer's plastic wood will do the trick, but sanding is required. Caulking nail screw heads can be tricky.. however if you are priming before painting good primers, followed by a paint and primer product will do a decent job of it for you.