Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldstylecabin

That is a beautiful Cabin! Keep us updated, it's exactly the "something" I need to keep me motivated for my "dream cabin" someday. I love the rustic look, and the whole project.

also where did you find those brackets that secure the door (with the 2 x 4's) I've been looking for those and have no idea what they are called.
thanks

dmlsr

We got them at a hardware store here in NH Where u from???

dmlsr

Weather was awsum. We did a lot of trim work and the last of the roof work.Alot of little things that just take up time.
We also started filling in under the cabin to give it the look that it is sitting on stones. Later it will be a good spot for storage

Al looking at the corner boards i just put on

The start of the stone work

thanks for looking

Dave

oldstylecabin

I'm from mobile, Alabama. If you could get the name of those things, I have NO idea what to begin to call em. But my dad had those on the front door of an old building he had a parts store in back in around 1970, and I'd love to have those on my current garage (as it has wooden doors) plus I'd like it on my cabin someday as well.

Man that is one nice place you have there. Keep up the great work and keep the pictures coming. ITs a big inspiration to me.

Sassy

Yes, you've done a great job!  I'm so impressed with all the young families building their own homes - something to be really proud of.  I couldn't even have imagined myself doing something like that in my 20's or 30's.  My dad was always building, so were my brothers... and I always admired them.  And, of course, Glenn doesn't know the word "can't"...  ;)  

Keep those pictures coming!   :)

williet

Looking at the pictures, I'm wondering if this board siding would work without the battons? I think I read somewhere on another thread that tar paper behind the boards would be enough water protection .... Any thoughts on just barn siding for a house?

glenn-k

No problem without the battens, except gaps.

If put on green, I have found that a board will shrink up to 5/8 of an inch when dry.  This could leave 5/8 gaps but with 30 lb felt behind it it would still probably last forever.

Many barns a hundred years old are still standing - no battens, gaps and all.

woundedsky

I was wondering how much you spent so far?

dmlsr

Al got more batten up this pass weekend.

I did the some of the stone work for the woodstove.

The stones are from the site.

thanks Dave

dmlsr

Doing the wiring 110 and 12v

thanks for looking

Dave

bartholomew

Nice. How are you going to generate your power?

dmlsr

generator, battery and solar down the road

Dave

Sassy

Looks really cozy - are you going to get to spend Christmas there?  Great job!  I'm going to try & put slate in the patio area outside the bedroom & great room one of these days (haven't done much of that except help put it in around our hottub in the valley & on a couple walkways.  I like your rock work.

dmlsr

we where only there for a few hours today but got some stuff done.

Thanks
for looking

Dave

APG

Your cabin is an inspiration to me!  The images are excellent....please keep taking them.  Do you have a floor plan that you could post? Thanks in advance.

Happy Holidays!

littlegirlgo

You guys are doing great! Love the toilet. Did you buy new or used and what brand?
Thanks  :D

dmlsr

We got the toilet for free off of craigslist. it is a Humus. Have not used it yet but tested fine. We Dont have a set floor plan. We have ideas and ajust as we go.

Should have more pic's up tomorrow

Thanks 4 looking

Dave

dmlsr

Got the wood stove hooked up yesterday.
did a little more on the wall for the bath room.
We got our first real snow of the year

thanks for looking

Dave

desdawg

I like it! Very well done. And I like the idea of closing up the bottom with native stone. That can be one of those liesure time activities when the basic needs are met and the sun is shining once again. Good job!

Amanda_931

It might even make your insurance company happy.

It looks so nice.

littlegirlgo

What a great picture with the lights and the snow! It looks awesome. Keep us posted with how the inside develops.  :)

williet

I may have missed it, but what is the type wood of the board & batton? Is one type better suited for it than another?

dmlsr

When we talked to the sawmill  He said we would have no trouble getting many years out of pine .
We will treat it after it dries out some more.

Thanks for looking

Dave

dmlsr

Al and i got the tile in the bath room and some more r-19 in

thanks for looking
Dave