20 x 28 with 2nd bedroom in upstate ny

Started by new land owner, May 15, 2011, 04:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

new land owner

On my last trip to camp I worked on cleaning up my mud room.

I had pre-built a storage unit in the garage at home.

With the help of my sister I went from this..

To this...

It is nice to see things coming together..

new land owner

Just spent a week of vacation at camp.

The birds on our porch are expecting

While I was painting the eves and fascia my wife was working on a stone wall that will be the back drop for our fire pit.

My brother spent some time at camp with me helping me fill my new wood shed.

We have decided to paint the floor until we can figure out what we want to do for a floor.  They called it Walnut but it looks like leather to me.

We also had time to take the canoe out on the lake.  The area near my camp was a vacation place in the late 1800's and this is one of the many places that still exist.

pocono_couple

thanks for stopping by my thread!  -   i love the pic of the house on the lake - neat detail that is difficult to find on homes built after the mid 1900's..    also like you woodshed -  looks like a great design that should encourage drying...  we put luan down on the floor and applied 4 coats of finish..  it is a pretty inexpensive way of covering the floor and does not look all that bad with the finish.. i used water based  varethane with a semi gloss finish.   on a dry day, you can put down all 4 coats - only need 2 hours of drying time between coats and i did a very light sanding between the 3rd and 4th coat.    i used the same stuff on my walls and on the counter tops which are  5/4 pine.. so far, so good!   jt

new land owner

I went up last week to get some more of the outside complete. I have been putting off completing the side wall of the porch roof.

Once I figured out that the Porch roof has a 13 degree angle and the camp roof was 31.6 it went ok.

I now have completed the front and back of the camp with the baton strips.  Next trip I have to complete the ends and we will have the outside all complete.

I also installed gutter on the roofs above the two front doors. I was hoping for rain to see the results but will have to wait till next time.

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

new land owner

Went up to camp for a few days and got a few projects done.

I built a mantle for behind the wood stove out of rough sawn 6 x 6.

I did the first coat of mud and tape on the bedrooms and installed a ship lapped ceiling in the second bedroom.

Many thanks to my neighbor for keeping my lot cleaned out. it was great to be able to pull right up to the front door.

It was very cold out side but with the new stove I had no issue getting the camp up to temp.  -25 out side and +85 inside camp.

Texas Tornado

pocono_couple

things are looking great!   I love the idea of  putting wood on the ceiling..  looks great and a lot nicer to work with than sheetrock!     did you build the bench for your table?  I am thinking about making something similar.  would you  mind sharing the measurements?    jt

new land owner

Thanks again for the positive comment.  I did build the bench and the table as well. The bench was made of pine and the table from maple. I was lucky to have a source for free maple.  The table started as 2 x 10 x 16' beams and I cut them down to the sizes I needed.  I would gladly share the dimensions but I won't be going to camp until mid March.  When I built it I placed a wide board next to a kitchen chair and drew the angle.  I copied the height from the chair. I did include a top that opens and it makes a nice place to store things,

pocono_couple

thanks for the reply!   too bad  you won't get up again till mid march.. not for my sake , but for yours!   i am sure that it is a lot of fun to spend time there..    maybe i will pull up my favorite chair and   use your planning method!   I am sure that the storage is a nice extra.. that certainly is something that we could use in our tiny house   jt

new land owner

Spent the past few days at camp.

The snow is still holding on.

Put the shiplap on our bedroom ceiling, Finished taping and mudding the walls. The entire bedroom is primed and ready for final paint.

Found a stain color for the wood stove mantel and am planning on using that stain for all the window casings and other moldings in the camp.

Finally I installed the back splash in the kitchen. Still trying to decide on a color for it.

pocono_couple

looking great.. always nice to get back to work after a bit of a break..   sure hope that snow disappears soon!  jt

new land owner

Another quick visit up north. Went up on Saturday mid morning and came home Sunday afternoon.

I did not want to tape and mud the ceilings so I used 3/4" pine that I stained to cover the seems. I really liked how it came out and how quickly I was able to install.

I was also able to install the doors I made for the storage space we have in our bedroom. Having the ten foot ceilings gave us this additional storage space.

I did take a short trip around the area. When ever you see a deer there is always another one close by.

Lastly I checked out a camp that burned down. Very sad to see this.  We are so remote that it took almost an hour after the fire was called in for the first truck to arrive.

new land owner

Had a chance to do some of the skirting around my front porch.

My wife came up with me and helped by doing a lot of painting on the inside.  Kitchen is almost complete.

new land owner

It seems like the more projects I do the more I find a better way to do them and change things.  When I started hauling water to my camp I have a taller set up on a trailer and my filler tube was in the back of the bedroom.  Now with the lower trailer the filler tube was too high to gravity feed, and It was difficult to back up and get the trailer in place.  I did not want to move the filler tube to the side of the building as I did not want to see the white PVC sticking out of the building.  This past trip I did, lower it , move to the side and came up with a way to hide it.

I built a small bird house looking thing and used a french cleat to just hang it about the PVC and hide it. The new set up works much better.

I also found a bottle opener at home depot. Doesn't everyone need a bear beer bottle opener?

new land owner

What a difference 4 years make?  This picture is 4 years ago this past week.

We are getting to completion, this past week we did some work on the front stairs.

Before...

After...

You can accomplish a lot when you listen to your wife. lol

new land owner

Well, with the exception of a few moldings, the inside is now complete. I have been to camp once a month for the last few putting down the flooring and installing molding.

This is how the flooring looks in our bedroom

I went with a piece of rolled vinyl, 19.99 at ollies, for a landing when you first walk into the camp. I still need to create the transition molding.  It has worked out well keeping the snow and mud off the other flooring. 

I was there over the past weekend finishing the flooring in the kitchen.

It has taken just under 5 years to complete but it was well worth the work.  Looks like this may change from our camp to our summer retirement home.

Now it is time to revisit an old project and work at finishing the inside of my screen house.