To you portable sawmill owners

Started by ChuckinVa, November 29, 2010, 09:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckinVa

I am going to look at a small portable bandsaw mill on Saturday. It was sold new 5 years ago and the current owner inherited from the original owner who passsed in 2007. From what I have been told, the mill has not been used very much. The current owner said the mill has not been used since 2007 but the motor has been run and the fluids have been changed in it several times. He just does not have a use for it and has decided to sell it. The mill will saw up to an 18" diameter log. There are 2 sets of 6 foot rails so the max length of log that can be sawn is somewhere around 9 feet. The mill is made by Hud-Son and is similar to  the Oscar 18 mill except it has a 5.5 hp motor and the Oscar has a 6.5 HP. This is something new to me. I would want to use it to saw lumber for projects. I want to build an out building so I can get my tractor out of the garage. I'm looking for suggestions on things to look for as well as pro's and cons to a mill of this size. The price is in my price range.
Thanks,
CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Can't help you much on the specifics but I know of a place where you can give it a trail run.   ;D

ChuckinVa

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 29, 2010, 09:51:21 PM
Can't help you much on the specifics but I know of a place where you can give it a trial run.   ;D

I didn't think you had any timber that small !
ChuckinVa

Whitlock

Have them run it for you!!
Make sure all the gards are there!!!!
Look at the bearings on the wheels make sure they are in good shape and make darn sure that the shafts are not worn.The drive wheel is the one to look at.
Rails can be made to cut longer timber with out to much trouble.

These little mills can be tempermental in a way that you have to figure out how it likes to be run.
Like blade tightness,engine RPM,feed speed and how much diesel on the blade for the type,dryness and hardness of the wood you are sawing.

I think price will have a lot to do with "is it worth it?"
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

If you don't have big timber it could be good - as long as the price is right.  It is small for us out here though.  As Whitlock mentioned - diesel - not water lube for the blade and I found a 50/50 mix of diesel and chainsaw bar oil (recommended by blade manufacturer) to be best for blade lube - you will not notice it on the wood as the saw dust removes most of it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ChuckinVa

The price is right provided the mill is in good condition and as Whitlock suggested the guards and bearings are all intact. From what he told me I don't think it has been run more than a few times, but that shoudl be evident when I see the condition of the saw.I will definetly have him run it for me. I have down loaded the the user manual and will familarize myself with it before I look at it. Diesel fuel on the blade. Didn't realize that was what was used for lubricant.Thanks for the suggestions.
CHUCK
ChuckinVa

Don_P

You'll find a number of blade lubes depending on operator and species. The mill we had in earlier this year was using water, I've also heard of pine-sol and water. I'd throw a full size hickory or locust on to see it under max load.

MushCreek

That's a very small motor for a mill. A friend has a Hud-Son with a 13 hp, and it's barely adequate in hardwood. That being said, motors are (relatively) cheap if the mill is a good deal.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

ChuckinVa

Quote from: MushCreek on November 30, 2010, 04:51:22 PM
That's a very small motor for a mill. A friend has a Hud-Son with a 13 hp, and it's barely adequate in hardwood. That being said, motors are (relatively) cheap if the mill is a good deal.

Do you know what diameter log his mill will cut? This mill will only cut up to a 18" diameter log. I did notice that the newer version uses a 6.5 HP but I also know the motor manufacturers play with the HP in the smaller ranges so the old 5 HP might be the new 6.5 HP. I wonder what the ramifications would be to going to a larger HP motor?

Quote from: Don_P on November 30, 2010, 02:30:08 PM
You'll find a number of blade lubes depending on operator and species. The mill we had in earlier this year was using water, I've also heard of pine-sol and water. I'd throw a full size hickory or locust on to see it under max load.

Don_P that is another good idea. I'll round up a oak or locust log and carry it with me to give it a real test.

Thanks for all of the comments All good things to think about.
CHUCK
ChuckinVa