Heating the 2nd floor

Started by dougpete, May 19, 2010, 05:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougpete

Greetings -

We have started framing the basic two story (expanded to 24' wide) over a full basement.  I plan primarily heating with wood, with a heat pump as back up.  We actually need the hvac to help manage humidity more than anything else.

Since we have 9' basement walls, running ductwork for the 1st floor should be simple, what is the best way to run ducts to the bedrooms on the second floor? 

Doug

Redoverfarm

Doug it all depends on your floor plan and layout.  Generally there is a chase provided for the duct from the fan to the upstairs. Most are done in closets of the first floor and branches off in the 2nd.  Open 2nd floor?  You will probably need a cold air return unless it is fairly open to allow it to fall or be drawn to the first floor via stairs and a return located nearby.

John Raabe

I would suggest calling out a local HVAC installer to determine the layout and to choose the best type of system to install. The best equipment for the climate, fuel costs, etc. is often a pretty local decision.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sourdo

Consider a Monitor or Toyo that runs on stove oil. Very, very efficient. I'm going to use just one to heat the whole place of my 1-1/2 story cottage. So the reason for having a partial open ceiling. I'll use reversable ceiling fans and cold air ducts. I have one now in the old trailer I'm living in while I build, it is amazingly stingy on the fuel use.

Electricity up here in Alaska is a bit high in cost and not really a viable option for heat.

Russ