Victoria Cottage dimensions

Started by cedarglen, June 09, 2005, 04:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

I am thinking of building the VC without the lower bedroom addition. I have seen that the dimensions are 16' x 28'. I assume that the breakfast nook and kitchen pop out area are not included in the 16'? What is the length and width of the popout?

thank you
Charles

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

matsuscha

John,
I sure appreciate the forum!  I have just ordered the Victorian Cottage plans - I wish I had more time, but we want to start building as soon as we have the cash.  My "big deal" w/plans is I want the living area in the back to take advantage of our views.  This will be a small house & remain so until we build our 'bigger house' in a couple of years.  As new builders, I'm wondering if I should have purchased the 'expandable house' and shifted things... Any suggestions?  is the Victorian easy to 'pop out' the whole side to match teh dining area?

caroline
b'ham, al

DavidLeBlanc

Just a note to mention that John is out of town for a few days and so you'll have to wait for a definitive answer

I believe what you're asking is possible. I think the plans include details for building a shed roofed porch along the long axis of the Victorian - and it's a matter of sheathing and insulation to turn it into heated living space. You will also have to put in headers and extra framing for openings between this long "bump out" and the rest of the building (might think of putting in the headers and framing now, even if you're going to do the porch/extension later...).

If you end up wanting a really large opening, such as the entire length of the living room, you may have to have some engineering work done/approved for the long span and the diminsions of the required (jumbo!) header.

DavidLeBlanc

From the description of the Victoria plans:

" Details for two different types of wood porches (notes for building side porches using this system)"

John Raabe

Caroline:

If you want to open up the side with the pop out for the kitchen and dining nook, that can be done.

At least one other family wanted to do the same and was able to put in an extra beam and post to carry the roof load from the load bearing wall that was then opened up in the same way as the kitchen/nook area. This involves sizing a beam which your builder or a local engineer can do.

As for porches, these are in the plans as well.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

DavidLeBlanc

John! I thought you were out of town until early next week?

matsuscha

Thanks so much - y'all - by the way, John - love your tag line!
caroline
b'ham, al