Precast pier blocks with bracket inserted.

Started by dajo41, March 19, 2007, 06:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dajo41

Having trouble locating precast pier blocks with steel saddle inserted. Have tried local concrete suppliers and my local lowe's department store. Was hoping to find them precast. Any suggestions :question

jraabe

Not all areas of the country have these as they are done by local concrete batch plants with material coming back from a run.

If you have the Little House plans there is info in there to make your own.

dajo41

So, the homemade pier block on sheet E-4 can be made like shown (square, not pyrimid shaped), then just placed on my concrete footing allowing me to adjust them for final squaring :question Also, I looked at some brackets at lowes and they wasn't simpson eb44a or pb44. Are these simpson brackets common? The ones I looked at did'nt seem to be very strong steel.  I appreciate the help. I'm getting more confident as I go. Thanks, Dan.

youngins

I think the ZMAX series are stronger (Heavier gauge).  Pa_Kettle solved this problem.

His pier block had a hole through the middle. He used an ABA bracket with a 6 in long 1/2" bolt running up through the bottom of the pier (bolt head and washer on the bottom side, nut and washer on the top side)

dajo41

That sounds like a good idea. I guess theres lots of ways of doing it. If I can't find the precast ones I guess The bright side is I can gain some experience building my own. Thanks for the input.

John Raabe

Yes, the square one in the Enchilada booklet is quicker and easier to build. If you are doing a concrete footer it would be best if you can anchor the pier block onto the footer. You could have a loop of rebar sticking out of the footing to be embedded in the poured pier block.

Also, an easy way to get the brackets in the right place is to tack them to the beam, support, level and position the beam in the right location and then pour the piers around the brackets.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

dajo41

Sounds good. This just might be the way I'll do it. Thanks John. Dan.