property photos

Started by tesa, February 10, 2009, 09:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesa

phew, finally, a few photos of the property to share.....

"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

tesa

wow, that was easy, i read the tutorial a few times, and gave it a go

i didn't realize i should have left more room between photos for coments

the big open space you see is the spot we cleared for the RV

and the picture of the pine saplings is the most likley spot for the house

it would seem we have quite a few nice hardwoods that i don't want
to take down, so i found a spot full of pine saplings with no hardwoods
near, and i'm thinking thats where we'll build.  but 'till we get a bit more
cleared away back there, ya never know

i'm hoping to get something growing on that fenceline soon, its my least favorite
thing about that property, the fact that the lot next to us is cleared, but within
a few years, i should have that fence covered, i'm researching vines

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

tesa

oh, and one more thing, i don't think i resized them correctly

i understand why its good to resize them, but i think i should have done
that when i was importing them from my computer

later this week, i'll be taking pictures of the culvert/crushed concrete delivery for
our scrapbook, and i'll be sure to resize them!

sorry

tesa

fishing_guy

The property looks nice.  I see what you mean about the fence.  A few grape vines, and you'll be covered, and maybe some nice jam or wine is in your future....
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

tesa

grapes would be nice, but several factors have ruled those out

one, they are decedious, meaning they loose their leaves in winter, and i'd be
stuck with that view till they grew back in spring

two, i'm not sure that hogwire would support grapes as the years go by,
those things can really weigh down a fence

i'm leaning towards honeysuckle, its easy, evergreen, smells nice, and i can
take cuttings off just one mother plant, and get a hundred

but for this season at least, i'm gonna build a few boxes, and plant some
gourds, i've always wanted to have some, they get huge and they'll like
that full sun

tesa

glenn kangiser

tesa, Photobucket can limit the size if you select the size option 800x600 right below the load window where your list of pix to load is. 

You can also copy your pix on you computer with Gadwin Printscreen - save it with a name you recognize on your Printscreen files the upload that image - it is small and uploads in about 20 seconds or so on dsl.  Gadwin is a free program.  Saves lots of time once you get used to it.  Upload to Photobucket is the same - just a much smaller file that still looks good.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

BTW nice property and cute little worker there.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tesa

thanks glenn, thats our slave labor!

when we first started going out there, i was afraid she'd get bored, so i used to bring her
a few toys and such, now, she plays with twigs, and likes to dig holes

i can see the potential for accidents with her digging holes everywhere, so we've
limited it to one hole, that just keeps gettin' bigger as she tries to manhandle that
shovel

interesting note on wildlife, we'e seen some scat we can't identify

it was funny, a bunch of adults hovering over some poo poo scratchin' our
chins and offering up words of wisdom "not dog........not rabbit......"

it was sort of funny

we think maby owl pelets (?) i know they don't poop per se, the cough them
up right?

anyway, for like 1/2 an hour, we're standin around talking about animal scat

tesa

hnash53

By the way, just How Do You Resize your photos?

Thanks.

Hal

glenn kangiser

Photobucket has a resize option in the edit function, but for fast loading I like to view the picture on my computer, then take a screenshot of it in Gadwin Printscreen (free).  I name it an easy name when saving it, then upload that screenshot to Photobucket.  That makes a very small file that uploads fast to Photobucket.

tesa

i noticed the "resize" function AFTER the fact, and you can set it to default size,

so for future photo posting i've set up my photobucket act. to always resize to
the size recomended for "message boards"

luckly, this time it was just a few photos

tesa

diyfrank

Here is a image resize program that I use.  This is as simple as you can get.
Right click on the picture and pic the size.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Home is where you make it

NM_Shooter

Nice property!  That is going to work out great.  Clear a big spot for your solar panels... lots of shade there.  If you think they are owl pellets, break one open and see if there are any mouse bones in it...

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

n74tg

In case it makes any difference; I have about 100' of honeysuckle growing on my north fence.  Right now it looks pretty nasty; dead-like appearance; definately not appealing to look at.  It's looked pretty much this way every winter, but blooms back out in the spring. 

So, if you want something appealing to look at in the winter, honeysuckle might not be it.

I'm in Hot Springs, AR and it hasn't been a bad winter. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Squirl

I have honeysuckle too.  It is definitely dead in the winter.  I love the smell and it grows like crazy in the summer.  It makes a good wine and is great a great way to while away the hours getting the honey out.  From the looks of your pictures, it looks like the fence will be partially shaded from the trees.  Honeysuckle grows well with a little shade, but grapes would probably have a tough time ripening.  The only evergreen vine I can think of is ivy.  It also likes partial shade.  You just have to watch, it is considered an invasive species and illegal in some states.

tesa

hey nm shooter, how 'bout i mail you the pellet and YOU can see whats inside  [hungry] rofl

yea, that fence is so long, we've got sun, and shade, just yesterday, i got some scarlet runner
beans and gourds for the sunny areas

not really wantin' to eat the beans, but i hear they grow like crazy

the gourds, well, i've always wanted to try them, and i think tia would like to
decorate them after they dry

i'll have a few more photos after this weekend, as the culvert is being delivered later today,
and we start construction on the shed tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn!

here we go...........

tesa

NM_Shooter

Quote from: tesa on February 13, 2009, 01:46:50 PM
hey nm shooter, how 'bout i mail you the pellet and YOU can see whats inside  [hungry] rofl

Hah!  actually, owl pellets sell.  Science classes and clubs buy them to dissect and explore.  My daughter had one that had a teeny skull parts inside of it.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

tesa

phew, what a weekend, daniel took off thursday, friday, saturday, and today, sunday

got much done. here are some more photos we'd like to share of the progress

delivery of shed materials

culvert delivery

bring in the heavy machinery!!

men on ladders

stump removal, many, many times

break time by the fire

men at work part deaux

tesa

good lord, now the photos are small

i guess small is better than huge, eh moderators??

we spent the past four days working our tails off, and daniel sick to boot!!

as we speak he's doped up on nyquil, and chicken soup, but happy with the progress

it does feel good to make such progress, and we had so many friends show up yesterday
to help, you know they truly are friends when folks will come out and know they're gonna
work!

hopefully, next weekend, we'll have more of the RV shed build, and the roof on, i've got some
things to take care of this week, so i might not be online much,

have a great week, everyone!!

exhausted, dirty, and happy
tesa