plumbing question - crimping plastic pipe?

Started by countryborn, November 22, 2010, 11:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryborn

Doing our own plumbing rough-in seems daunting, so we are looking at hiring a plumber.  The one we talked to will use plastic pipe, but instead of gluing, he is going to crimp the pipes.  Will that work?
We have a full basement.  Most of the plumbing will be on exterior walls, which are 5.5 inches.  (2 x 6 framing, 24 inches on center)
I would like to read anything from folks who have done their own plumbing, from rough-in to completion.
Thank you.
you can't have everything without having too much of something.

MountainDon

It would be good to have a brand name or something attached to the idea of crimping plastic pipe. The only thing that comes to mind that makes sense is PEX tubing with fittings secured by one of the types of crimp bands that is available. If he means PEX when he says plastic, it's a good system.  ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_M

PEX is a great system.  Crimping is a common method used to connect fittings.  I have never heard of anyone ever glueing PEX pieces together...so no worries there!

I have used it in my cabin.  Did it myself.  You should too!  It is super super simple to do!!  There is a lot of info on the internet as well!!

I bought my materials from a place on the interent called pexsupply.com, they were very helpful on the phone and got me all the parts I needed!

I recomment the shark fittings too....even easier than crimping.  A little more on the cost, but what you save by doing it yourself I would guess is significant.
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MountainDon

The sharkbite fittings are wonderful for very cramped places, as well as anyone who just has to do one or two connections. No need for a special tool.

I suppose even doing an entire small cabin with them would still be less expensive than paying a plumber. ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dug

I am pretty sure your plumber must be talking about pex, which I also think is a good system, very DIY friendly.

I have the Wirsbo/ Uponor system which uses different tubing that has a permanent memory that always wants to return to it's original shape. You expand the tubing using a special tool and you then have about 5 seconds to push it on the fitting and then it shrinks down tight on it.  It works well in cramped places because you don't have to get the tool to the fitting and there is almost no way to screw up the connection. You have to be a bit more careful with the clamps to get them right.

The tool is expensive ($300) but they sell briskly on ebay for close to new price so it would be easy to recoup.

MountainDon

... and still cheaper than hiring a plumber who may be using the same tool

countryborn

Thank you for the information, now i have an idea what he is talking about.
now ifhe weather will just cooperate, we'll be in good shape!
you can't have everything without having too much of something.

frazoo

The PEX crimping tool is pricey too, check with your local supply house, some will loan a tool out for a deposit fee when you buy the supplies from them and then reimburse you the deposit when you return the tool in like condition as when you got it.

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

cmsilvay

If you are going to use PEX one thing I might suggest is asking him/her if they will be using a manifold to distribute the the system. The manifold system is a bit more pricey but it has benefits such as being able to shut of only one appliance and it all so prevents pressure drops on longer runs. I just saw a thread on hear with a manifold system but cant seem to locate it know.