Studer valve

Started by Okie_Bob, June 27, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okie_Bob

Was just reading thru the post about sewer line drop and it dawned on me that I stumbled onto something that might be of value to the rest of you.

My garage/apartment has a metal roof and while trying to find out how to cut a hole in the metal roof I discoverd a new method of venting the plumbing without cutting thru the metal roof.

A Studer valve is basically a spring loaded check valve that goes on the top of the vent line in the attic thus saving penetrating the roof with the vent line. I used pvc pipe for the vent line and this Studer valve attaches to the end of the vent line up in the attic. It opens when the system meeds air and closes with the spring to prevent vent gas from entering the attic.

I had never heard of such a device but talked to a plumbing contactor who said they use them all the time and they work great and comply with local codes. And they are very cheap and easy to install.

So does anyone have any comments on this? Good or bad?

Okie Bob

glenn-k

I think they're great- around here also called mechanical vent.  Some places won't allow them if there is another way to do them - used in Island sinks though.

To me- if they work, they work.

How about it, Daddymem, JRR, or others- opinions-facts  ???

Daddymem

Not something allowed around here so I can't say either way.

Daddymem

Now that I got home from work (big deadline on that giaganto building), I can answer better.  The valve sounds reasonable but I have no experience in building vents since we have probably one of the strictest plumbing code...they don't allow me to design within 10 feet of a building and contractors cannot install anything resembling a pipe within that same 10 feet.  The plumbers got a good union!

DavidLeBlanc

Seems to me that these valves are bound to let some stink in. Even when gulping air, wouldn't it let even a little stack gas back into the room?

glenn-k

I haven't noticed that problem with the vent, and am not making any personal comments. Well - okay just one--- they couldn't be as bad as my old dead uncle no matter what.  ::) ;D

DavidLeBlanc

Not to mention your goat!  :o ;D

glenn-k

I suppose I should have tanned her. :-/  Oh, well.  It just didn't seem like the thng to do at the time.

jdew

The only way they can open is if the the air in side the pipe sucks the valve open - so air will be flowing in (hence nothing can come out).  I think most people familiar with them consider these very, very reliable.  

One problem though is if the valve is not protected debris could clog it up and cause problems.  But I have also seen them with protective covers that fit right over them that solves that problem.

peg_688

They work great but like Glenn said the powers that be would rather see the pipe out the roof .  Our plumber likes um but as stated they only usem if they have to cost is one reason , the "chance " something could go wrong is the other . HTBH ;)PEG

glenn-k

The problem with officials that don't like them is that they have no common sense.  If it malfunctions there will be a odor - someone should smell it and someone should investigate it and someone should fix it--- of course, they may have a point-- someones kids in the bad side of the city may decide to wrap a bag around their head and huff the fumes thereby snuffing themselves out and their parents may want to blame somebody -- but then again - shouldn't someone tell them it's easier to climb up on the house and huff directly from the open pipe ???  (That was all supposed to be sarcastic- don't try this at home, kids- it really isn't good for you and two guys died in a dairy lagoon recently from accidentally breathing sewer gas in massive quantities.) :-/

Daddymem

Reminds me of that story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2850045.stm
ick
After sticking my head in every cesspool of a nursing home and then years later every septic tank of a large summer camp....I gotta tell you, that stuff sure can do a number on you, what a horrible way to go.

Yes Glenn, in the interests of my breakfast, I am holding back on countless tasteless jokes ;D

spinnm

I think that they have to work just fine.

Never used one, but if the sink is in an island that's what they use if there's no column or wall available.

I'm sure that if sewer gas was a problem, you wouldn't see them in those million dollar babies.

Bouncer

I'm new to spetic tanks but using one for a whole house vent makes one wonder what happens to all the sewer gas that builds up? Doesn't it have to go somewhere? So would it blow  after a while or start leaking?
Just wondering
Kevin

jraabe

Yes, the venting to the roof of all the drain pipes provides an open air channel for the sewer or septic line (both need venting). This is very important and the valves we are talking about are special exceptions to the general venting rule.

JRR

A normal vent stack allows the "easy" inward flow of air that helps draining.  

Imagine a situation where one basin is draining, without the benefit of a free vent,  .... what happens to the liquid seal in other "P" or "S" traps?  Would the Studer valve open before some, or all, of the seal liquid is lost?   I dunno.

But I hate piercing a metal roof for a vent pipe.  Its not pretty and apt to leak rainwater.  I'm installing a metal roof this summer.  I intend to run all vents to the center of the roof ridge line ... and I may keep them covered with the ridge vent cap.

Amanda_931

at the very least there's less water at the top of the roof to leak in.

Bart_Cubbins

Something I've wondered about but haven't gotten around to looking up...  Is it code-acceptable to vent through a sidewall?? (assuming the vent is far enough from windows etc.)

Bart_Cubbins

Well after poking around a bit, the answer seems to be "it depends"...

The Uniform Plumbing Code does not allow side wall vents.

The International Plumbing Code does allow them, but many local authorities delete or modify this section...

904.6 Extension through the wall. Vent terminals extending through the wall shall terminate a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the lot line and 10 feet (3048 mm) above average ground level. Vent terminals shall not terminate under the over-hang of a structure with soffit vents. Side wall terminals shall be protected to prevent birds or rodents from entering or blocking the vent opening.

The concerns seem to be that wind pressure could blow the water out of traps and that sewer gases could flow under the roof overhang to nearby windows.

Bart