main drain line in cold area, insulate or no

Started by das fisch, December 21, 2010, 05:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das fisch

so the camp we're acquiring is post and pier, so when the main line out to the septic is installed at least part of it will be exposed to the elements under the floor joists. it's probably a drop of three feet over 15 feet or so. the question i have is i believe 1/4" per foot of drop is the usual min. and general target, should I box in the line as temps fall well below freezing for quite some time.
i'm going to box in the well line into the house as we will be using the camp during the winter.

cmsilvay

What part o the country are in. My run is almost 80 feet with a 1/4" per foot never had a freeze up and a better part of my line just bleow grade. The only issue I have being on peirs is that my trap for my tub does freeze up sometimes. We are in E cental OK. Last winter was brutal for this part of the country

das fisch

the western maine mountains. over half my run including traps will be above grade

ScottA

MaineRhino

My traps have never frozen, but when we leave for the winter, or after using the camp in the winter, we pour RV antifreeze down the drains. Just enough to fill the traps.

cmsilvay

We keep some RV antifreeze in the house if it is one of those cold streaks we put a little in the tub drain as an added safety measure. I know my folks had a place in the pocono mountains with a mound type septic and they had some type of heater on the line. They had a power outage and the line did freeze before they got thier genset. I do not know how these heaters work but dealing with a frozen main line doesnot seem like a fun.