Do the grandfather's cottage plans come with any kind of instructions?

Started by maggiethecat, June 11, 2008, 07:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggiethecat

I'm just curious as to whether we're going to need to buy a bunch of books to put this together. ;-)

Also, I need to know what all we're going to do to get foundation like this:

Looks like a hybrid foundation, like pier and post + concrete corners, seems to be standard in Hawaii.

--maggie
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

Redoverfarm

Yeah it sort of looks like a part crawlspace walls(on corners) and piers in between. Might possibly be a center wide support behind the porch that you cannot see.  Rather simple to work up.  I guess majority of the homes there have no freezing problems and can allow open air under the house.  It appears that there is an elevation difference on this photo from left to right corners. 

mvk

glenn kangiser

The Grandfather plans have good instructions but I would suggest that if you are not familiar with house building you look at Johns list of books he recommends for the knowledge to do the project.  We are here too.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CREATIVE1

OR--subscribe to Planhelp for direct assistance from John.  A great bargain and additional downloads that may help you through the process.

maggiethecat

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the floor plan of the GC...is it easy to add a bedroom later in there somewhere? I also would rather have a slightly larger bathroom...maybe one with access to the MB...

--maggie
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

glenn kangiser

Take a look at the Volks Cottage, maggie.  A similar variation withthe bathroom access to the master BR and possible you could attach an extra Bedroom later if that is what you want.  Keep in mind that you are pretty free to rearrange the interiors of these anyway.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.