13x20 cabin rebuild by lurker in NC foothills

Started by fishing_cabin, December 29, 2011, 07:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishing_cabin

Ive been a lurker here for a few years now. I bought this property and the cabin which was built back in the 1950's a few years back also. Pretty standard for the local area, rough cut lumber, with a shed roof, and 5/4 by whatever width boards they had handy, between 6 to 18 inches. I am finally now working on getting it finished up and thought I would learn how to post pics here and share them with ya'll for feedback and ideas.

As to the 13x20 size...Dont ask me where it came from, as I have been puzzled with the size since I purchased it. It was originally built out of rough sawn lumber from a local mill, so that may be a reason to the odd size. It also had a wood stove in it, that the last owner kept when I purchased the place. I had to rebuild the back wall due to the chimney leaking. Got that done, and I still havent entirely figured out what type heat I want to use.

So far what I have done. I rebuilt the back wall, and was originally planning on then moving the cabin and building new, since at that time we were not under the code enforcement here really. Soon after I got that done, the county decided to re-zone and require permits in this community. Thats why I just kept what I had when they decided that. Also, the cabin, while it was wired, and had water run to the outside from a shared well with the neighbor, as well as a new septic tank, it never had a bathroom or any plumbing done. Also, since we got rezoned, and permits were needed, the county said they didnt have records of the original septic, and required a new one installed, which I did. The only thing I can forsee is they feel Im full of it, and feel I need 2 septic tanks, though its kinda hard to be at 145lbs...

I went through, and replaced the uneven studs through out the walls of the cabin and resheated the cabin with OSB. I added a sliding glass door to the front, and replaced one of the side windows with  a larger new insulated one. I have also added a 10x20 deck across the front of the cabin, which is under roof. I spent yesterday and today with a carpenter I know working on the sofit and facia work. The metal for the roof will be in next week sometime.

These first 2 pics are how the cabin looked before I got deep in to it, of course the 5/4 boards that were the siding have been removed before these pics. It had 1/2" or so tongue and groove pine on the inside, though it was cracked and painted. Some was ruined by the weather due to the spacing between the 5/4 slabs was never covered. If you imagine a board and batten type siding without the batten, you have a good idea. Also, I have become an enemy to any bees around. It seems the walls were full of them, and before it turned cold, I was having to keep evicting them. Maybe I should have charged them rent instead.

The footing holes for the piers for the deck a while back.

I will get some current pictures showing the current status in the next few days when I get back up there.

Questions I have...

Since this is 13x20 what types of heat would you consider? I am considering closing the deck in later, after I get done and my money catches back up, so it could wind up being 23x20 a year or so later maybe.

yankeeredneck

w* Fishin.....we all started by lurking at some point. Where in the foot hills, as I am in the high country. You will find that many counties have for the most part changed to code requirements here in NC. I use to do structured wiring for the western half of NC and every county was different but for the most part required just about the same permits.

Any ways again, welcome to the forums and yes, lets see some pics. [cool]
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid

fishing_cabin

thanks yankeeredneck,

I hope those first pictures came through ok.

As to where I am...Its one of those places you cant get there from here locations. Im a few miles south of the NC/VA state line at highway 89 and highway 18. The actual closest towns are Galax Va and Sparta NC. Im actually slightly up the mountain a little but they still call it the foothills.

As far as the permit and zoning changes. It was coming sooner or later. There was a person sometime back try push some things with the inspectors so they put their foot down on everyone in the area, and keep a close watch on things now. 

yankeeredneck

Ive worked in the Sparta area and it is beautiful over that way, about an hour from me. As far as the permits, befriend the inspectors as they have the final say no matter what the code book says. I had an inspectors say to me and I quote " You need my signiture and you will do what you to do, no matter what the code book says!" Needless to say, all the subcontractors hate him. But he is right.

Anyways, yes the last pic came through. Keep them coming with the updates, as we all love to see pics. :)
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid

fishing_cabin

More pics...

Looking accross the road at the end of the lake.

As the cabin is currently looking from the road

Right side

Left side.

Looking at back door

Another shot from the road

Looking up the lake, the cabin is at the other end toward the right corner.

More to come as I get more done.

MountainDon

Those are some tall piers!  Any issues with them?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cbc58

What lake is that?  We live in NC also and are looking for land up that way... near the Blueridge parkway...

That front roof over the porch scares me a little...

fishing_cabin

MtnDon,

This is one of 3 of the original cabins here built in the 1950's that are still standing. My cabin is maybe 2 foot taller at most then the next tallest of the 3. The pics are a bit decieving though, or at least to me. The back of the cabin is about 1.5 feet off the ground and the front of the deck to the ground is around 7.5 foot, minus the footings. The piers are about 10 foot tall from the footing. Going from memory.

As an aside note. My family has been in the oil business and HVAC since the 20's, and while other places do have some issues with frost heave, as well as other issues, here its pretty stable. I will get some more photos next week if you like, but almost the entire county here is mostly rock. It was a job finding a place on my land to place the septic. About 15 foot behind my cabin I have a 8 foot wall of shale (soft rock) and it slopes under the cabin.

The last I saw of the building inspector is when he signed off on the piers, and said call me back when your ready for the drywall.

In the future, since the cabin is on a slope with 9 piers, I would like to work on a quasi type basement. There is a cabin that was built back in the 70's I believe on wood piers thats on a more steep lot. I can share pics if you would like.

I have a long time family friend a "few" doors down from me whose water line is around 10 inches down and doesnt have an issue in winter. We are kinda in a valley here and its pretty mild compared to other neaby places. The only major problem is when the airforce flys over...Thats when you want to jump off the roof and climb under a rock, but its pretty rare. Imagine being all nice and quiet, and out of the blue here comes a jet over the tree tops. Its not often but it still spooks ya.

cbc58,

The lake has no name that I know of. Its only about 3 acres or so, but looks larger looking at it length wise. 

I will post more pics when I do work there. If anyone would like to ask questions please ask.

CjAl

You could frame in between the piersbwith psi treated and sheet it in psi treated plywood. Put down plastic and cover with clean gravel. That would give you yourbquasi basement and also brace your tall piers.