5 x 8 bathroom

Started by Billisnice, March 13, 2010, 04:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

I started my small house this week. 16 x 30.  I have a question. The bathroom is 5 x 8, can i get a 36" door to work ok if the wall hung sink is 19 deep and 20 wide with a standard toilet and tub?  I want it to be handicap accessible for my dad.  It looks like the 5 x 8 at the link below but mirror.  

https://media.photobucket.com/image/5%20x%208%20bathroom%20with%2036%252522%20door/souciq/5x8bathroom.gif

Billisnice

Topic should have been 5 x 8 bathroom

Billisnice

The link is the first floor plan of what we are building. 12 high wall with upstairs. Our code requires 6" walls and 2x10 rafters for insulation in the North GA Mountains. It was cheaper to pour a concrete slab to meet code.

https://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/billisnice/?action=view&current=billsogood.jpg

It is a real open plan...

MountainDon

#1,  for Bill and everyone else.... The title of the topic can be modified by the author by using the "modify" tab at that appears at the top right of every message you originate.  So can the moderators/administrators.

#2,  I like open plans.  :D

#3,  It might not make any difference to this plan or this question, but there are hinges that allow doors to swing clear of the opening. Great for handicap access.  The door needs to be able to open something like at least 95 degrees.  scroll down a little...

http://hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=965&gclid=CMHfkr_dtqACFRlRagodi1w3TQ

Maybe a slightly narrower door plus these hinges would work if the swing to sink is inadequate for a 36" door?  ???

#4,  A.  make a larger to scale drawing and using the actual dimensions of the sink you like measure it out. It appears it may work, but I'd do a good accurate drawing. OR

B.   build it and then see and look for a sink that will work. This is a poor second choice as far as I'm concerned. (hard to beat an accurate blueprint.)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JRR

An outward swinging door might be a better choice.  Its hard to get "clear" of an inward swinging door.

MountainDon

Just a note... We have a couple places in our house where plumbing is in an outside wall. The framing is doubled in the rooms on those walls to allow the actual outside wall to be fully insulated. The inner framing is where the pipes pass through. It might be more important in some areas than others depending on temperatures.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Billisnice

MountainDon, do those hinges work with existing pre-hung doors?

MountainDon

Bill, I've never used them myself; only know they exist. That company does have a toll free number though.

frazoo

If the plumbing is on the outside wall, would a pocket door work?

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

Billisnice

A pocket door will not work, the plumbing stack is in that wall for the upstairs 1/2 bath.  I think i will go with a 32 inch and use the hinges as needed.

I got two old wall mount sinks at a junk place for $15. Anyone know where i can get the bracket behind them to mount them?  About 10 inch long with hooks. The old ones are cast iron and rusted out...thanks

Bobmarlon

it wouldnt be ideal but you could just have it swing out?  Were going to use a closet bi fold for ours.

MikeOnBike

My wife and were having a hard time getting everything to fit in our small cabin space.  We had a concern of how to get a door to work for a 5x6 bathroom.  We decided that we didn't need a sink as one was just outside in the kitchen.  We also decided that we really didn't need a door.  We are going to use a shower curtain for the door.  It shrinks down to just a few inches when not needed and provides visual privacy when someone wants it.

Onkeludo2

I have had to give universal design a lot thought and here are couple of questions:

Is the individual in a wheel chair or using a walker or arm canes?

Will he be using the bath as well?

With a walker or arm canes a 34" door cut down from a 36" is no problem and most can manage a 32" door.  With a wheelchair, standard instead of sport or armless model, 36" is about the minimum.

What concerns me about the layout, for a wheel chair, is that most will not be able to make the turn just inside the door on a 5' wide bath. 5'6" might do it but a straight shot to the toilet or 5' 8" is much better.  If he is using the bath, from a wheelchair, there will be two transfers, one from the chair to the toilet and one from the toilet to the bath.

Either way, do not forget the blocking for grab bars even if they are not to be installed now...blocking for a shower seat cost you nothing and can save you later.  Also, install levers instead of knobs on the door...same for the faucet.

The sink itself will most likely be leaned on so whatever your improvised brackets end up, make them capable of supporting at least 150-200#.  At our current home I installed a wall hanging sink on a 2" x 8" block between two studs with lag bolts.

Mike
Making order from chaos is my passion.

Billisnice

I can see where a 6 x 8 is best for sure.  Just a small space.  When the time comes, I can remove the doors and add curtins.

Billisnice

I went into a million home in woodstock GA a few month back. The whole bathroom was on a full wall lenght opposite the bed. There was a curtin that open the whole area. That was probable the best to have for universal design. Bathroom and bedroom open...

Onkeludo2

6 x 8' is great, but you can also get away with 5 x 7 if you use a door that enters the middle of the long wall.

The best design for me, assuming space is not an issue, is a sink directly across from the toilet and the tub straight ahead...heck a picture is worth a thousand words.

Almost forgot, the user cannot easily close the door in this layout unless a lanyard is attached to the door lever and the chair has drop arms.  Also, a roll in shower would be much easier than tub...but my aunt-in-law and my wife insist on a soaking tub.  Sheesh!  Women!

Billisnice

Perfect, wish i saw that before concrete was poured. lol

Onkeludo2

Looks like you have room for it so why not use a 40" or more outward opening bi-fold door.  I hate them and avoid them at all costs but they are problem solvers.

Like I said, I have had to work with this a lot. The drawing above is very close to what we put in my aunt-in-law's house.  Had to break up and re-pour a large chunk of slab to put that in her house.

eddiescabin

Mikeonbike...no sink in the lav???  Use the kitchen sink instead??? Um, GROSS, fecal matter has a way of ending up in the strangest places! E-Coli party of 2!

MikeOnBike

Quote from: eddiescabin on March 17, 2010, 02:38:00 AM
Mikeonbike...no sink in the lav???  Use the kitchen sink instead??? Um, GROSS, fecal matter has a way of ending up in the strangest places! E-Coli party of 2!

Well the other option is to not have an indoor bathroom.  Then I use the outhouse and only have one sink for a thorough wash.  A good stainless sink is not that hard to keep clean.   Not ideal but current size doesn't allow two sinks.  I may be able to work something up in the shower space since it is just really a walk in sink.

I spent a good part of my growing up years staying in a cabin with no running water or bathroom.  There was a sink and a bucket to haul water from the spring.  Regular cleaning kept the place clean, I don't believe anyone ever got sick.