4 Wolf packs in WA State that are known now....interesting.

Started by OlJarhead, July 08, 2011, 12:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015516994_wolves06m.html

What amazes me is that they really have no idea how many there are actually, but they will 'officially' declare only so many for political reasons.

Ahhh well, I'm sure the wolf I heard further north was just a longer out for a walk....

rwanders

Thousands of wolves in Alaska and many in close proximity to humans. Extremely rare for any to approach humans. Sometimes there are ones who seem to have great curiosity about us but, hostility is very very rare. However, they do not have the same reluctance about making lunch out of Fido or enjoying a brief love affair with a Fidoette in heat.

Interesting that when you do happen upon one close enough you immediately can recognize it as a upper level predator---their eyes are almost hypnotic. I've always thought there is some sort of genetic memory of them in humans from our prehistoric past. They are fascinating animals. They can only thrive in a healthy and diverse environment so they are a great indication of areas that are closer to the eco systems existing before widespread human populations.

The few times I have had a close encounter it has made my hair stand up all over me, Somehow encounters with a brown bear do not cause the same visceral reaction. even though the bear is certainly a bigger and more likely threat.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

OlJarhead

Quote from: rwanders on July 08, 2011, 10:03:55 AM
Thousands of wolves in Alaska and many in close proximity to humans. Extremely rare for any to approach humans. Sometimes there are ones who seem to have great curiosity about us but, hostility is very very rare. However, they do not have the same reluctance about making lunch out of Fido or enjoying a brief love affair with a Fidoette in heat.

Interesting that when you do happen upon one close enough you immediately can recognize it as a upper level predator---their eyes are almost hypnotic. I've always thought there is some sort of genetic memory of them in humans from our prehistoric past. They are fascinating animals. They can only thrive in a healthy and diverse environment so they are a great indication of areas that are closer to the eco systems existing before widespread human populations.

The few times I have had a close encounter it has made my hair stand up all over me, Somehow encounters with a brown bear do not cause the same visceral reaction. even though the bear is certainly a bigger and more likely threat.

The last wolf I saw was in Port Hardy BC on our way to the vet's which was out of town.  He walked up onto the road and looked right at us as we drove by....amazing.  And yes, those eyes!

Heard many over my life time and lived in close proximity to them.  I am not aware of any human attacks though I have known them to kill dogs and cats RIGHT in front of their owners (very strange but true) during hard winters.

The biggest issue is that they eat range animals at will.

rwanders

"The biggest issue is that they eat range animals at will."

Wolves will be wolves----I hope ranchers will find it in their hearts to not begrudge them an occasional meal. I realize their generosity must have some limit but, we are both predators and some professional courtesy would be nice, They seem to recognize us as fellow predators.

I wonder if our eyes have the same effect on the species we prey upon----we are the baddest, if not the biggest, predators in the valley.

OlJarhead

Quote from: rwanders on July 08, 2011, 04:38:36 PM

"The biggest issue is that they eat range animals at will."

Wolves will be wolves----I hope ranchers will find it in their hearts to not begrudge them an occasional meal. I realize their generosity must have some limit but, we are both predators and some professional courtesy would be nice, They seem to recognize us as fellow predators.

I wonder if our eyes have the same effect on the species we prey upon----we are the baddest, if not the biggest, predators in the valley.

There is no predator worse then humans!  I often tell my kids this:

We are feared, and well we should be!  If an animal decides to kill and eat one of ours we don't just go after it and kill it, we kill it, eat it, make clothes out of it and then hunt it's family, it's friends, it's neighbors and every other one of them.  We eat them, make clothes out of them and use their teeth and claws as a sign of how bad we are....and they know.

Humans are the most deadly predator alive!  Think about it, we don't just eat them, make clothes and trophies out of them, but we might even build an entire city on top of them so there are more of us to eat them!  We may cage some of them so we can learn more about them and find out the best way to kill and eat them.  We may even keep them in pens made of steel so we can eat them when we want to, or make them breed so we can eat their offspring that didn't even exist when their kin attacked us.  Heck, we may even shoot them into space if we are so inclined.

Humans are the baddest of the baddest and they know it.

When a wolf, bear or cougar looks at you they see something worse then death, they see extinction.  And don't you forget it!

rwanders

:)

Ol Jarhead, you are a poet and as a charter member of the "baddest of the baddest", the USMC, you know of what you speak.

As an old US Army guy, hate to admit that baddest part, but my professional courtesy requires it.

OlJarhead

Quote from: rwanders on July 08, 2011, 06:09:56 PM
:)

Ol Jarhead, you are a poet and as a charter member of the "baddest of the baddest", the USMC, you know of what you speak.

As an old US Army guy, hate to admit that baddest part, but my professional courtesy requires it.

well thank you sir, and for the record I have some Army friends  who are rather deep in the baddest of the baddest club!  We're all brothers in the end.

Bob S.

I think all states should share in the save the animal cause. I think Massachusetts should have as many wolves and grisley bears as alaska and montana have.

rwanders

Quote from: Bob S. on July 09, 2011, 10:27:31 PM
I think all states should share in the save the animal cause. I think Massachusetts should have as many wolves and grisley bears as alaska and montana have.

Unfortunately for all the East Coast Liberal Elites in Massachusetts (who would probably approve of your sentiments at the faculty cocktail hour) it would require that a large portion of them to be deported or harvested to make room for the wolves and bears plus their prey animals. Actually, not a bad idea---maybe Barney Frank could have some congressional hearings about your proposal.

Yonderosa

A wolf pack in Central Park in NY would be a great idea.  I'm sure there is plenty for them to eat.

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent