making the best of electric heat

Started by paul wheaton, November 23, 2011, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul wheaton

I made this video in an attempt to sum up how I cut 87% off of my electric heat bill last febrary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqJoXyBuxRw

bayview

Fascinating . . .   

But, how practical?   My lifestyle is not always at the computer.   Do I purchase multiple bed warmers and chicken brooders for each room?

It's all about space, insulation and the ability to heat or cool.   I would rather live in a smaller home that is heavily insulated and be comfortable.

//
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

peternap

Quote from: bayview on November 24, 2011, 08:56:59 AM
   Fascinating . . .   

But, how practical?   My lifestyle is not always at the computer.   Do I purchase multiple bed warmers and chicken brooders for each room?

It's all about space, insulation and the ability to heat or cool.   I would rather live in a smaller home that is heavily insulated and be comfortable.

//

I's rather have wood and leave the electric off altogether. ;D

But it was another good tutorial! [cool]
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Quote from: bayview on November 24, 2011, 08:56:59 AM
   Fascinating . . .   

But, how practical?   My lifestyle is not always at the computer. 

For those who aren't aware the experiment was carried out in rented space, an apartment, condo or something IIRC. No chance of adding insulation and electricity is the sole source of heat.  The methos would not suit us either, even though we own the place.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

Billions of little chickens can't be wrong...

http://www.amazon.com/IncubatorWarehouse-250-Brooder-Lamp-Bulb/dp/B004XNMH7Y

250w vs 1500w.  My grandad used to have one clipped on his workbench.  I don't remember the red bulb, but it was a chicken lamp with an infrared bulb.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

rick91351

Quote from: Native_NM on November 24, 2011, 10:26:32 AM
Billions of little chickens can't be wrong...

http://www.amazon.com/IncubatorWarehouse-250-Brooder-Lamp-Bulb/dp/B004XNMH7Y

250w vs 1500w.  My grandad used to have one clipped on his workbench.  I don't remember the red bulb, but it was a chicken lamp with an infrared bulb.

If you have a utility room or one of those old back porches that is unheated and your washing machine freezes up when it gets real cold.  Hang one one of those down in the tub where the agitator is, or just over the washer.  Then higher up tie off an old sheet and make a tent.  Drape that over the washing machine to trap the heat.  Making sure all combustibles are well away from the bulb.   [waiting]  That might not work well with the plastic tub washers.  It been like forty years since we had to do that.......   

Those in homestead / farmstead mode hang one down over a new born calf that needs to get warmed up quickly or that might be sick and you have to confine them.  If you have a couple bum lambs or a pen of them hang a lamp over them. until they get going.   (Bums or bummers are lambs the ewes reject and you have to bottle feed).         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

NM_Shooter

We could all wear layers of clothes and skip the heat altogether. 

I'll just stick to my gluttonous consumption of natural gas and keep my house at 68 degrees.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

firefox

Paul, Can you recomend any paticular type or brand of electric dog mat? Specificly one
that is immune to cat claws.
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824