Labor Day

Started by MountainDon, August 28, 2014, 05:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

...or Labour Day to the Canuks in the crowd...   :)

I'm a few days early with sending best wishes for a happy, safe and enjoyable Labor Day, but I hope to be enjoying myself thinning some more trees and burning the slash that I might forget over the weekend. Best to all.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

???  Burning slash ???  You guys must have gotten some monsoonal action that wet thing down pretty well.  I know we sure have.  Have a nice Labor Day or Labour Day to the Canuks in the crowd...   :)  Question:  Do you get to do double holiday???  ???  Or like around here Labor Day is just labor day... :D
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

We celebrate both, work 2x as hard; but they do occur on the same day. :(

We do try to celebrate Boxing Day in our own way though. Google "Boxing Day".   ??? 
Same with Canuk Thanksgiving.  :)  Everyone loves a turkey.

We had the 4th wettest July on record and August has been pretty good too as far as rainfall. :
) I love it when we can walk across a pine needle covered slope and not hear the crunch - crunch - crunch that is more or less normal.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

hpinson

Same here - taking advantage of the wet season we have had in NM to cut and burn slash. Lots to do, and I just learned how to sharpen the chainsaw chain.   Everyone have a safe weekend!

rick91351

Quote from: MountainDon on August 28, 2014, 08:06:26 PM
We celebrate both, work 2x as hard; but they do occur on the same day. :(

We do try to celebrate Boxing Day in our own way though. Google "Boxing Day".   ??? 
Same with Canuk Thanksgiving.  :)  Everyone loves a turkey.

We had the 4th wettest July on record and August has been pretty good too as far as rainfall. :
) I love it when we can walk across a pine needle covered slope and not hear the crunch - crunch - crunch that is more or less normal.

You know that is strange I never have asked or researched 'Just 'whatthe' heck in Boxing Day and why?'  Now I know!!

I know I have been on Vancouver Island on Labour Day twice and was told if you're going to 'escape the Island you just damn well better be at the ferry terminal at a good time.'  No problem there...  What was the problem was everyone from Washington State was in BC and everyone from BC was in Washington State.....  My word it was international grid lock.....   I sure miss going up there....  Might seek off up that way next year when the house is finished....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

sparks

Well, here I am at work in southern Illinois on Labor Day.......so be it.

Member of the Steelworkers 1978
Member of the Teamsters 1978-1980
Member of the Brotherhood of Railway Signalmen 1980 to present........what a trip this has all been.....

Life's been good to me..........maybe someday I can retire......or ........? (expire)

I don't recall where I ever heard this, but it goes something like this.............

"There is nothing more noble, than simple human labor"

Covers a lot of ground........doesn't it ?

Happy Labor Day folks.......

sparks

i
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

rick91351

Sparks

Held a lot of offices in the UTU - UTU-E and the BLE - BLET.  Always tried to make it better work places especially for those hiring out. Unfortunately as you knew we failed miserably.  But damn it we tried..... That said proud member of the United Transportation Union 1976 till about 1990.  Decided to join the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers 1990 until retirement 2012 or whenever they settled my retirement date. Was involved in the merger of the Locomotive Engineers into the Teamsters.  A poison pill so we would not have to merge with the United Transportation Union.