Gable end windows

Started by wed68, March 28, 2009, 07:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wed68

I am researching gable end windows,  that follow the pitch of the roof.  If I remember right from high school (wow that was a long time ago) they would be trapezoid shaped windows.

I was thinking of building my own with 1/4 inch plate glass,  or should I custom order them.

or should I just put in a regular window?

What do yall think

Thanks
Bill

glenn kangiser

You could build your own - easy if they don't open - harder if they do. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

A part of that question would be whether or not you need/want the windows to be highly energy efficient; low-e glass, inert filler gases and all that stuff. Does your location require meeting IECC?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

wed68

No codes where I am building.  I was considering a low e glass but may just go with a 1/4 inch plate

They do not need to open

Bill

PEG688

Well either way you slice it my answer is "it depends".

Building a proper window frame is not as simple as some may think. There's more to it than "stopping in the glass".

So here's a few photos to think about , do you have the talent , the tools , the , some call it patients, will to learn the right steps ? All those and more are IMO why "It depends" if you can answer yes to most maybe building your own windows is right for you.

And to be fair to the original builders of the windows I repaired they provided more than adequate service and where well built , age  and weather mostly are what caused the final failures.

But the photos should give you a clue as to what it takes to build a proper window frame.

G/L and I am willing to provide what guidance I can via this forum should you decide to take on this mission , this message will NOT self destruct if you choose to accept the mission.  ;D

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Quote from: wed68 on March 28, 2009, 04:39:15 PM
No codes where I am building.  I was considering a low e glass but may just go with a 1/4 inch plate

They do not need to open

We designed our cabin to have a 24" square window on one end. This is to be a non operating window; there's going to be a stained glass hanging inside it. I was originally planning on building a fixed glass window. I too wanted it to be low-e; that means a custom made sealed unit. I priced the glass assembly at a couple of local suppliers. I then priced buying a vinyl framed, low-e sealed glass, non operating window.

I did not want a single pane window; no matter how thick the glass they are the worst for heat transfer.

Considering all the work necessary to build a good frame, as PEG outlined above, I figured it was not work the effort to build my own. The one I ordered and have waiting in the garage also matches all the other windows as far as color. For me buying that made more sense than making it myself.

BTW, nice job Paul.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

wed68

Thanks for the reality check PEG,  I did some drawing last night at work and think I decided to just use one square window about a 5x5. 

Thanks again
Bill

PEG688

To steal a line form a movie ,

Staff Sergeant PEG688 

You talking about buildin windows ? Hmm? Y'all experts? Y'all know about BUILDING ? I'd like to hear about it, potheads. [takes pipe and sniffs] Are you smoking this shit so's to escape from reality? Me, I don't need this shit. I am reality. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is. Glenn was full of shit. Glenn is  a crusader. Now, I got no fight... with any man who does what he's told. But when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down. And I ain't gonna allow that... in any of you. Not one. [hands pipe back and spits] Y'all love Glenn . Oh, you wanna kick ass. Yeah. Well, here I am, all by my lonesome. And there ain't nobody gonna know. Six of you boys against me.

"Slighty"  edited for comic relief  :)

Happy I could help out!  d*   d* ;)

Feel free to edit this Glenn if it's over the top . I think it's sort of funny!!  :) And think you (Glenn) will as well , but still and all it might be to much!! But still funny IMO.

Jeesh I crack me up some times !

The real line from the movie , Platoon:

Staff Sergeant Bob Barnes

You talking about killing? Hmm? Y'all experts? Y'all know about killing? I'd like to hear about it, potheads. [takes pipe and sniffs] Are you smoking this shit so's to escape from reality? Me, I don't need this shit. I am reality. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is. Elias was full of shit. Elias was a crusader. Now, I got no fight... with any man who does what he's told. But when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down. And I ain't gonna allow that... in any of you. Not one. [hands pipe back and spits] Y'all love Elias. Oh, you wanna kick ass. Yeah. Well, here I am, all by my lonesome. And there ain't nobody gonna know. Six of you boys against me. Kill me. [pause] Huh. I shit on all of you.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

No problem with me, PEG.  It's all relative to abilities, quality and needs. hmm :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.