Fasteners for a plank deck

Started by Ernest T. Bass, October 21, 2008, 09:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest T. Bass

Hi all, I have a quick little question...

We will be installing a 2'' (1.5'') plank roof deck on our cabin soon. The rafters (logs) are spaced 4'.

What would you suggest for fasteners? I was wondering if common nails would start to loosen in time, and if we should go spiral or ribbed? Would 10d be about right?

Thanks for your input! The references I keep finding to nailing board decking is always for 3/4''..

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

MountainDon

Quote from: Ernest T. Bass on October 21, 2008, 09:21:01 PM
is always for 3/4''..

3/4??  5/4" I could believe.

Common nails will loosen and self extract over time. Spiral or ribbed should hold much better.

Nails should penetrate a minimum of 1 1/2" into the joist, so the 10D would just meet that, if you were nailing into flat/square stock. However I'd go 12D at least if it was me. If you're nailing into round logs I'd go 16D just to make sure I had enough penetration.

Hot dipped galvanized.

Personally I prefer deck screws for something like that.   2  1/2", or longer on round stock. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Ernest T. Bass

I'm open to screws if they would be more adequate, but expense and time are also a consideration...

The logs are flat-sided, so no problem w/ good contact.

Why galv.? VB and insulation will go over the deck, so there shouldn't be any moisture problems..

Usually when I read about board decking it is in reference to 1'' nominal (3/4'') t&g stock.

MountainDon

re: galvanized     I was thinking of a deck as in a deck exposed to the weather, not as in a deck that would be insulated, etc. Just the way I interpreted your statement.  If it's not going to get wet you can skip on the galvanized.

If the joist logs are 4 ft. apart it seems to me that the 1" (3/4) is not thick enough.  But then you also mentioned using 2" (1.5") planks... So I guess you've got me confused.   ???   Are those 2x's T&G?

When you stated "roof deck", I envisioned a roof mounted deck you'd be walking on, picnicking on, enjoying the sunset from, etc.  d*    This kind of decking is available in 5/4.

If this is a structural part of the roof you do not want to use screws. If it's covered over then standard common nails should suffice. Once again I was thinking deck as in something you entertain on. On those I have seen common nails slowly work their way up out of the wood.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

I stayed out of this one to see if someone would flesh out what we are doing here.

Now re-reading the posts , I think we are talking about 2x6 T&G car decking laid on flat topped log rafters. As roof sheathing.

If thats right I'd recommend 16d galv box nails. They won't "back out" and poke a hole in the roofing.

Your logs will allow for that without the points coming thru the ceiling side of the rafter I'd think , if not I'd say your log rafters are to small except for a very small building / short span / run.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Ernest T. Bass

You're correct, except for the t&g part. These are just rough-cut 2x6's, sawn to dressed dimensions.

I guess I have to ask again... Why the galv? :)

Yes, this is sheathing, not a porch type deck.. Guess I should have clarified.

The only reason I mentioned 3/4'' t&g is because it is the only board sheathing I've ever read about, and my situation is different. Sorry for the confusion. :)

I know they won't back out from foot traffic, but doesn't the roof flex a bit from wind, etc.? Wouldn't this potentially loosen smooth shank nails in time?

PEG688

Quote from: Ernest T. Bass on October 22, 2008, 07:59:22 AM
\

I guess I have to ask again... Why the galv? :)

Third line of my last post.

If thats right I'd recommend 16d galv box nails. They won't "back out" and poke a hole in the roofing.

You need a nail  that will hold well , sinkers would back out , you'll have a lot of wood movement as that roof drys out , the nails really need to hold well. Drive in 5 ea. Galv. 16d and 5ea.   16 d sinkers , then pull them out and you'll know "why" the galv. nails .

You don't want the nails working up and out thru the roofing.  Means a leak! 

NM_Shooter

A quick question to add...

When I nail things down that I don't want to work loose, I sometimes put a bit of an angle on the nail, and then angle the next nail differently. 

My thought is that any stress on the board that is not a shear load is better handled if the fasteners are not all parallel. 

Wives tale?

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Ernest T. Bass

I usually do that too; not really sure if it makes a difference.

So, the galv. coating bites the wood better, I assume.. What about spiral? Unnecessary?

PEG688

I'd say yes, the opposing angled nails would help some the holding better.

The hardest nails to pull are galv-ie's , followed by the old bright commons which today are not that commonly available. The spirals and ring shanks don't hold as well IMO.

Is this a case of "I got a box of spiral nails for free , can I use them?" If so ya I'd go for it , if I had to buy the nails I'd get  the Galv-ies.

No 1 1/2" rough sawn stock which "generally" nets out thicker , about 1 3/4" , that would depend  who milled it , BUT IF it nets out at 1  1/2" or better I'd definitely use a 16 d fastener.   

Ernest T. Bass

They're pretty much 1 1/2'', spot on.. Convenient, 'cuz you can use them w/ regular joist hangers and stuff. Plus, they're a bit cheaper as well.

We got 30 lbs of 16d galv. ring shank nails on amazon for $74 shipped. Thought it was a good deal, considering 30 pounds of regular 16d galv. nails are over $80 at the local building supply..

Thanks for the help! Gotta get that roof on before the snow hits...