Help Me Choose

Started by Net_Eng, April 20, 2011, 10:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Net_Eng

So, I am getting a buddy's 10year old light weight trailer for $2500.

The problem is, I cannot decide whether to buy it or build John's 12x18 cabin.

Apparently, the only issue is with the heater.

what will be your decision if you were in my boots.

Thanks

John Raabe

For immediate usage the trailer will certainly be the most cost effective. You could fix it up to use for now and while you build. Then sell it when you are done for about the same as you paid for it.

Longer term it would probably be a negative to the property value - where as a site built home is a positive. That is why you want it gone before you move on.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

$2500 could buy a lot of the cabin materials if you don't need the trailer.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Trailers make a good temporary shelter while building. We used our RV for years on the road before buying our property. Then we lived it up there while we cleared and thinned. It was valuable experience as we discovered the best location for the cabin to be. RV's and trailers for the most part are not well insulated. It took more propane to keep warm in the smaller RV than it takes to heat the cabin for example. They also get very warm in warm weather.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

Quote from: MountainDon on April 20, 2011, 12:32:20 PM
Trailers make a good temporary shelter while building. We used our RV for years on the road before buying our property. Then we lived it up there while we cleared and thinned. It was valuable experience as we discovered the best location for the cabin to be. RV's and trailers for the most part are not well insulated. It took more propane to keep warm in the smaller RV than it takes to heat the cabin for example. They also get very warm in warm weather.

Hear, Hear!  It's what I did. The downsides of course include everything MountainDon said, but one certainly learns to appreciate living in the "great outdoors" in any weather when "shelter" means the confines of an RV...which makes it good incentive to get the cabin livable.  ;D

Squirl

Trailers don't have insulation, but also don't require permitting.  $2,500 is about even on a dried in small cabin with heater.  You will have more appliances for the same money with the trailer.  I still debate if a trailer would have been better for me.  Two factors that played heavily for me where that I wanted something for more year round use and not to have to haul a lot of fuel.

Net_Eng

How much you average the 12x18 will cost with insulation? Is it about the same?

rwanders

Don't know what average would mean to you but, I believe you could buy the materials for a 12x18 if you stayed very simple and also took advantage of places like craigslist to buy some of the more expensive items.  i.e.Windows, doors, cabinets etc.  You will have to do without things like electricity, running water and toilets.  Local building dept regs may also make it difficult if you don't build it as a "shed" instead of an occupied structure.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Net_Eng

Totally Agree... Its a lot of money to spend...."temperately" Besides my buddy with the camper and I cannot see eye to eye. Don't get it...he is selling it.

We have decided to hold off on the shed and the trailer. Instead, we will move forward with a salt-box garage with a living quarter. Below is the plan we are looking at. Taughts?

http://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=6014&src=search

Bob S.

Will the living quarters be temporary? Do you have any plans you can share with us?

Net_Eng

Yes, it will be temporary.

I will have a wall between the 2 garage doors. I will insulate and use the side with the little door.

The door will be converted into a window but in such a way that we can break out the bottom and have a door again later. The big garage door will be converted into a double door. There will also be a second door into the other side garage.