Rehab of a 1957 ranch house

Started by poppy, June 24, 2010, 01:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdzone

Poppy thanks again for the great info.  When you replace the refractory unit be careful the bolts holding my fireback broke and I had to drill them out and retap the holes. By the way Your stove is prettier than mine, mine is the standard black model.
Chuck

poppy

Just a short update.  Not much work on the house because of cold weather and Christmas travel.

I did find a sink on craigslist.  Also got the pipe parts for the stove ordered.

It's a Swanstone model KSDB-3322 that was in a local judge's wife's kitchen for a year or so.

poppy

Here's what I saw on my first trip of the new year out to the country.

Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning.

It's been too cold to work on the house, so I figured it was time to start getting some firewood.

This is an old tree top from a previous harvesting.  I think I'll use the tractor and trailer the next time to get closer to the wood.  ::)

Not a very big load, but hauling wood is hard for an old man.

poppy

Alan Gage has a thread in General asking for suggestions on his floor plan.  I mentioned over there that the kitchen layout sparked my thoughts on my own design, specifically the distance between counters.

Here's my latest design based on stuff I have already purchased.

The only base cabinet I would need to add to this is for the sink.  Then I would add 4-6 wall cabinets.

The refrigerator is a little out of scale, but it is a counter depth model.

Also for scale the tiles are 6" square.

ben2go

I like it.Can't wait to see the other half of the house.

poppy

Thanks ben.  The other half of the house is not as exciting as the kitchen but maybe I'll post the master BR suite.

Did I ever mention that I really like craigslist?  Here's my lastest find that is from a 1960 house only 1.5 miles from my condo.

This is an attempt to show what the tile pieces look like next to the toilet top from a previous find.  There's also another set of towel holders and a second soap dish like the tall one (both chipped).  They didn't save the towel bars.

The total package included 300 4.25" x 4.25" wall tiles, 37 bull nose, 32 inside corner, & 23 floor tiles (hard to tell from the pic., but the floor tile on the left is textured), plus numerous chipped tiles.  The floor tiles were over a concrete base and didn't come up easily.

There's not quite enough wall tiles to go around 3 sides of the tub, so I'm going to have to figure something out.  ???

And the good part is that the whole package set me back $25.   ;D

ben2go

Looks like some usable parts there.Nother score.

poppy

Not much happening on the rehab.  I did get some more logging done for firewood.  And here's some more craigslist finds.

It turns out that the guy who had the pink tile also had a medicine cabinet and another guy had some blue tile.

The mirror is not perfect, but good enough for country rehabbing.  ;)   I got 200 blue tiles, so I have some options on how to do 3 walls above the tub.

For some reason, they threw out the glass shelves,  d* but the brackets are still intact, so a couple pieces of glass will be easy to get.

The cabinet has the obligatory razor blade slot.  The current owner didn't even notice the slot until he found a bunch of razor blades in the wall.   :o  Some of you young guys might not know what razor blades are, so here's a sample.

ben2go

poppy

The house is moving slowly, but I finally got the condo sold and moved into the rehab in June this year.  I'm living in 2 rooms while working on the rest of the house.

I was making some progress and then the bug hit me to find another woman, so I joined an internet dating service and have been spending more time on line and dating then working on the house.  [slap]

I don't like being alone.

MountainDon

Quote from: poppy on December 14, 2011, 11:20:27 PM

Nope, that's no fun, especially when you had someone really special for a long time. If yours was like mine, she'd want to to find a new best friend. We've talked about it.

I'm glad to hear you are trying to do something about that. best of luck!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ben2go

Quote from: poppy on December 14, 2011, 11:20:27 PM
The house is moving slowly, but I finally got the condo sold and moved into the rehab in June this year.  I'm living in 2 rooms while working on the rest of the house.

I was making some progress and then the bug hit me to find another woman, so I joined an internet dating service and have been spending more time on line and dating then working on the house.  [slap]

I understand that.Good luck on your search for your new lady.I haven't been able to stay single long myself.

poppy

Hi all,  I'm posting here in case anyone is interested in taking a look at the origin of much of the stuff I'm using on my newest rehab project. http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12301.0#top