FRS/GMRS radio

Started by MountainDon, May 04, 2008, 09:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I'm an old user of CB and 10 meter radios. We're looking into the tiny portable FRS/GMRS transceiver handsets as a means of being able to keep in touch with each other around the mountain property.

We played around with a borrowed set of Motorola T9500's this weekend. Anybody have an experiences they'd like to share?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

I have a pair of Midland LXT326 radios that I bought last year.  We mostly use them for backing our camper into tight spots, or when I am fishing on the lake and my family wants to contact me.  The clarity is better than most, and the range is typical (read:  not so good).  If you are in heavy timber or a canyon, the attenuation is a killer.

Let me know if you want to borrow them and you can try them out. 

All of these things could be helped with a better antenna.  I once experimented with a cheap set and marked their usable range at 1/2 mile.  I put a Yagi antenna on one handset, and could easily get 2 miles out of the set.  But you have to know which direction to look  ???

I've got them charging now.  Let me know if you want to borrow them.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 04, 2008, 09:54:39 PM
If you are in heavy timber or a canyon, the attenuation is a killer.

Thanks, I'll let you know about borrowing...

We're nothing but trees. trees and slopes this way and that. The Motorola model we tried out is one of their upper scale models. It wasn't too bad, better than my handheld CB's and much smaller. There were times when one of us had to repeat a word or two. But we were able to communicate over a hill and down behind it... estimated distance maybe a half mile straight line on a map.

I've been looking at a Cobra model that's actually waterproof not just water resistant and has Lithium Ion rechargable pack vs a Midland with NiMh batteries. The Midland also takes AA, but I like the Li-ion with their lower self discharge rate.  :-\   Both are top line and come with headsets/mikes.   :-\   $75-80 a pair.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Daddymem

We're very interested in this thread too.  A set of 4-5 for our family when we go to campgrounds would be great.  The one my wife works at is heavily wooded and most cheapos don't work very well.  Rugged for the ankle biters would be a good idea for us too.  TIA
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

peternap

We went through just about every kind of GMRS/FRS radio on the market. I can't tell any difference in power between the two. We had problems with the Cobras. Thee Midlands did OK but still the power issue.

Then we bought some Uniden FRS/Marine. The FRS is great for nearby stuff and the marine at a full 5 watts is just the thing for out in the boonies. They're waterproof, have FM radio and aircraft bands also and the automatic weather alert.

They're a little pricey but I think they're worth it.

If I couldn't get them, I'd go to 2 meter.

and no, I don't have a license for anything.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Thanks for the info Peter.

sparks

My work requires the use of radio communication quite often. We've tried numerous models and most results are about the same....half mile to sometimes two miles. The VOX headsets are a big plus, leaves both your hands free to work. Sounds like the Cobra models might be worth checking out.

On my boat I keep an older Icom M5 HT marine radio as a backup. I've contacted lockmasters on the Mississippi about three miles out on the 'rubber duck' and about six miles on the 8 foot whip. But it's about three times the size of a GMRS. They make them smaller now. Pricey though. You can see the newer stuff at the West Marine website.

Sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Cool Peter. I was just about to ask.  :)

The other question I had, if you know, is what other uses are in that Marine VHF frequency range? I could research that... will if you aren't sure.

MountainDon

peternap

I don't know of any other uses other than possibly, a marine operator. I kind of doubt you'd find one in New Mexico though.
The real advantage is the power. Jane and I take them everywhere. In Walmart, on FRS, I can find her without any problem. At the farm on Marine, we can stay in touch for miles.

The weather alert is a plus if you have storms. It will monitor the weather channels until an alert comes out. It over rides the channel your on to give you the warning. I haven't found a use for the aircraft yet but the FM is nice to catch up on the news.

The dog hunters here use them.

peternap

MountainDon

I'm doing some looking around.

I found a listing for MURS (multiple use radio systems) in the 150 MHz range. No license. That's discouraging  ;D

I've found a lot of things on amazon that you'd never think of looking there for. I think I mentioned this once before... amazon has a free 2 day shipping deal... "free", but it costs you $80 a year. But if you buy enough from them it's well worth it. Plus we share the deal with our son and a good friend. They chip in for the privilege.

MountainDon

There's a plethora of marine hand helds available from Cobra, Uniden and Midland. Makes my head spin.

Plus I've found a bunch of 2 meter hand helds, some with 7 watts   ???