Finally Got DSL

Started by Redoverfarm, December 26, 2007, 05:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Many years ago I had data service thru SprintPCS. It worked well but was expensive. Last time I looked it was still expensive.

HughesNet or Blue something or other satellites are the only alternative when you're off in the boonies, and last I checked they wanted 2 year contracts.

DSL doesn't string out far enough in those mountains of mine and the telephone company isn't even interested in stringing a landline.

>:(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don a neighbor of mine could not get DSL. He ended up getting Hughsnet and if you can believe what he told me was that there was a $250 up front and then $60 monthly.  He never said anything about terms of time limits.  I do know that weather problems do interfere witht he signal like satelite TV.

QuoteDSL doesn't string out far enough in those mountains of mine and the telephone company isn't even interested in stringing a landline.

I hope you were referring to your cabin and not your house because you have to have DSL at home because your replies are too fast for dial-up.

MountainDon

Yep. Big up front charge, big monthly bill and there's usually a meter on the line. Too much downloading going on and they'll slow your feed. Or charge you more. I'm not sure; I forget the details.

and Yep again. That reference to no land line was for up where the cabin is. They offered to sell me cell service.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

My son had satellite computer for a bit -- he was not satisfied.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I had the Verizon service for a while. It is only as good as the tower placement around it. When you start it up they always want a 1 or 2 year commitment with early temination fees. It too was $60/month. It wouldn't work at my primary residence but I had to prove that by spending a lot of time on the phone with the tech support people to get released from the 2 year deal. Once I did that they were good about it. They really do want happy customers. I heard from someone that the required commitment was going to go away. I guess back in the early days of cellular when they started up a new customer they tied up some equipment in that persons name. That is not the case anymore with the newer technology. So I don't know if the rumor is true or not but I will help spread it.  c*
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Redoverfarm

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day,
teach a person to use the internet
and they won't bother you for weeks.

sparks

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 05, 2008, 10:09:51 PM
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day,
teach a person to use the internet
and they won't bother you for weeks.

Wasn't it Al Gore that coined that?
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

Al Gore invented the internet. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Not real sure about the saying but if he did invent the internet it was probably when he was exploring the "green stuff" ;D

glenn kangiser

We discussed this a bit before in fact I started a topic on it.  Off topics -- father of the internet?  I think -- I think we finally allowed that he did promote it a bit.

sparks

Hi, I meant that comment above as a HaHa. Please excuse my lack of knowledge re emoticons, etc. I don't even know how to cut and paste urls or any thing else for that matter.  help?
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

I took it that way --- what's Al Gore ever done anyway? ;D

URL's can usually be dragged and dropped right into the message but if on the full service reply, all emoticons can just be clicked where you want them.  You can insert the URL's in the URL brackets - click the world picture then paste the link between.