6x6 bracket for sonotube

Started by itpdk9, March 19, 2013, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itpdk9

I am going to be building a 20x40 1 1/2 story in the near future.  I am going to be using the post and pier foundation using sonotubes to grade then  6x6 to the girder/beam with I joists on top of that.  So my question is this, is this the correct bracket to use for in the concrete of the sonotube to hold the 6x6? 

http://www.lowes.com/pd_410455-166-WE66-TZ_0__?Ntt=we66&UserSearch=we66&productId=3799177&rpp=48

If this is correct great, let me know.  IF not could you please point me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance  ;D

cholland

I used a Simpson PB66. You can find Simpson Strong Tie with a google search. Most hardware stores will have them.
If you are having to comply with code, you will be required to use them or something equivalent with specs available.
The PB type bracket incorporates a 1 inch steel stand off so you don't have to use pressure treated wood.

itpdk9

Thanks cholland, it looks to me like they are the same brackets?  unless i am missing something... Thanks for your reply!

Don_P

QuoteIf you are having to comply with code, you will be required to use them or something equivalent with specs available.

This will certainly not make the use "to code". Using a code accepted part in a non code installation does not make the installation compliant

itpdk9

Don_P, I understand what you are saying.  I do not have to "follow code" as there are no inspections. However I would like to use the correct bracket even though post and beam is not to code here.  So is this the bracket that you would suggest or is there another one that would work better? Thanks again.

Don_P

That bracket will provide uplift resistance. It will not resist a lateral load.
QuoteNot recommended for fence posts or other unrestrained (not fixed or fastened at top) applications; these anchors are not designed to resist overturning (moment) loads

rick91351

My choice would be Simpson CP66.  They have a stirrup that is a better design in my mind.  However with piers, there are certain load problems that are just inherent to them.  And some areas they seem to work well - some areas there is no way.         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

UK4X4

One I found while looking at pier and post- 1/4" steel rather than tin plate

https://www.permacolumn.com/wet-set-models

I know simpson are code rated- but some of them look to be made of thinner steel than my old mechano set !

Don_P

Laet time I looked the permacolumns were rated at 500 in-lbs moment...put a 3' post on it and 14lbs of horizontal push at the top.

They are made for post frame buildings where they perform well. The posts extend from the bracket to the top plate and those full length posts are then sheathed in a metal diaphragm forming a continuous braced wall unit.