Need some help with this big a project ?

Started by schiada, August 21, 2018, 01:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Hi. For many years I have been trying to get my build off the ground. Got some land,ordered the 1 1/2 story plans. Played with a lot of ideas with the Country plans . And cleared the land for my build site.

I'm new to this hole "Permitting thing" and I was looking for some help. I got a name of a company and asked if they could help. I was told they could fill in the missing things for the County I am building in but could not help with any changes to the plans. This is the list.

"1.  Mechanical  plan
2.  Brace wall plan with calculations
3.  Site plan
4.  Plumbing plan with gas iso if you plan on having propane
5.  General notes required by Yavapai County"

I was also told ,
'FYI, most of Country Plans have some sort of loft open to below which now requires engineering "

This is now out of my pay grade. Number 3 I have from my permit for grading. The rest , I'm not sure about.

Also if I want to make the home longer,say 20' x 40' what needs to be changed ? Would like to add to the living area and 5'or so to the loft. Also add a wraparound porch.

I found that the county is using the,
"2012 Edition of the International Building Code
shall apply to the construction" . Not sure if this is bad or good.

Then their is the slab for the home to sit on ? Nothing in my plans for a slab ? So who do I need to get with on that ? Engineering ? What do I ask for ?

I have not ask John about this and maybe he will chime in.

Just want my ducks in a row when I go for permitting.(don't want to look like a total fool) The drawing part I feel I can do but I have much to learn about other parts to this building project !

So what is the best path ?  ???

Thanks again for the help and input.  Randy


I'm right there with you Randy! It's all the details that have me hung up.  ???
Hope you get the answers you need.


Going to sent John a PM and see what he can do ?


Have you gone to Yavapa County web site, Development Services Department ?:

Check on Plan Review Criteria Link to get idea of what is required, then look at Permit Application Sheet.  That should answer a lot of questions on requirements.


Yes , and I have down loaded all the forms.

The problem is "Engineered Plan's for the slab,loft and the longer home.

Still have not heard form the other guy if he will take the job ?

Seam like their a lot of people looking to make a buck. Just trying to not pay the ones that shouldn't be paid.


If it were me, I would go into the building department with everything you have and tell them what you want to do. I guess it depends on how busy they are, but a lot of building departments are willing to work with home owners and guide you through the process.



Think that is what I will do.

Anybody have any ideas about doing the slap/foundation ? Or where to look for or info on how to make a plan ? ???

Have had no luck with getting to John Raabe ? Maybe he is on vacation.

What have others done that add or changed parts of the original  plan ? Did they use outside people ?

Randy  d*


QuoteI found that the county is using the,
"2012 Edition of the International Building Code

The IBC is the code that applies to commercial properties.  Residential properties, single or duplex construction, 3 stories high or less are covered by the IRC.  So your project probably comes under the IRC.. There are new versions published every three years; 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018.....  It often takes a cycle or two before a jurisdiction makes the choice to step to a newer version. I did not see where I could access the 2012 version but did not look extensively. Newer versions will have differences in some areas. Usually, newer versions may have higher standards or more stringent requirements. States can also decide to rewrite some sections if they want.

Most states adopt a code version on a statewide basis. A few adopt a version at the local level. This page has a map of the states and offers the basic code information for free. When you choose a state it looks like you are placing items you select in a shopping cart to purchase, however a click on the item will take you to the free public access code pages.  Note that the free pages do not allow you to copy and paste, nor do they allow printing to paper.

Chapter 4 covers foundations. Most everything that is basic structure is covered in the first 9 chapters. It is not written as a how-to guide but all the info is there. Foundation choice/design depends not only on building size and height but the soil bearing capacity and the seismic zone.  Slabs are covered in there someplace.  The bldg dept will want to see footing width and depth as well as what size steel rebar is to be used in footing and slab.  Depending on the local officials they may offer help in the way of pointing out their minimum requirements. You may also be able to get some design assistance from a good concrete contractor. However, bldg depts are not obliged to provide design assistance; they only have to approve or reject what you present to them.

Making a building plan longer is pretty much no more difficult than making a drawing longer and following correct header sizes over extra windows and doors.  Making a design wider may necessitate larger floor joists, larger rafters, etc.  Probably all the plans with a loft floor and open cathedral ceiling spaces are going to need some extra design work to be acceptable under newer code enforcement.

Note that when you use factory made floor, ceiling or roof trusses the truss maker engineer will do the design and when payment is made for the trusses, will supply the engineering papers for their product. Building departments will accept those as supplied with the engineering stamp.  Rafter built roofs with cathedral ceilings and no ties between the wall top plates as specified in the IRC are going to be a problem with obtaining a permit for newer code compliance.

Trusses can have other advantages in addition to the engineering stamp.  Modern energy efficiency codes require thicker ceiling insulation than what was used when rafters were more common for roofs than trusses.  The truss designer can use a raised heel design that allows for full R49 insulation right out to the side wall. You can not do that with rafters mounted to a side wall.

Energy code compliance can be achieved through the use of the REScheck design compliance tool. There is an online version and a downloadable version for the Windows OS. It allows trading things like more insulation in some walls or the ceiling in order to use larger windows in another place.  Some building departments like mine make the REScheck use mandatory.

If designing floors or roofs that are built with standard framing lumber the joists and rafters sizing can be made easier by using the AWC calculator. They have an online version as well as Android and iPhone versions.

EDIT:  Roof trusses can be designed to provide a cathedral appearance to a ceiling. I guess that is called a vaulted ceiling. The truss still provides good space for insulation, more than using 2x12 rafters.  A roof truss can also provide space for an attic room.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.


Big Thanks to you,Don. I new you would give input !
Thanks again !

Going to do some reading of the "IRC". Hope I will understand what is their ?

So my plan is to take the Country Plan's along with the longer plan ( that I made) and my site plan along with "my" foundation / slab plan and see what they say .


MDon, what will be my process for getting a truss roof system ? What will need to know to help the truss Company ?

P.S. John got back to me.


Quote from: schiada on August 23, 2018, 01:30:42 PM
MDon, what will be my process for getting a truss roof system ? What will need to know to help the truss Company ?

The truss company(s) will need to know;
Location... that will let the engineer use proper wind & snow load.
The total span; drawings might be good to show them
Other things like what amount of overhang you want and whether or not you want a vaulted ceiling, an attic room, dormers, etc.

They should ask you questions about what you want and be able to come up with a design and estimate for the cost. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.


My plans are digital I dont mind emailing them to you if that helps.


Thanks for the offer.
I have been doing Turbo Cad for mine.


ffpara,After thinking about it,yes could you send them?