18 x 18 cabin

Started by Trad, May 29, 2008, 04:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trad

Hi,

I'm designing an 18 x 18 cabin, and I don't really have much experience with building, so I was wondering if anyone on here would have an idea of how much something like this would cost:

ScottA

Depends

DIY- $12-15k+ depending on finnishes

Contractor 30k and up depending on finnishes

Add extra for utilities and land

Pritch

Hi Trad - I'm pretty new here as well, but WELCOME!  I really like your design and the 3D rendering.  What program did you use?  One thing that stood out to me is that you may want to incorporate some storage space.  Even if this is just a weekend getaway, it can be a real drag tripping over your clothes and junk all the time. 

-- Pritch
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

Trad

Quote from: ScottA on May 29, 2008, 05:13:25 PM
Depends

DIY- $12-15k+ depending on finnishes

Contractor 30k and up depending on finnishes

Add extra for utilities and land

Whoops, I meant to say just the cabin itself, excluding the appliances and furniture.

Quote from: Pritch on May 29, 2008, 06:34:19 PM
Hi Trad - I'm pretty new here as well, but WELCOME!  I really like your design and the 3D rendering.  What program did you use?  One thing that stood out to me is that you may want to incorporate some storage space.  Even if this is just a weekend getaway, it can be a real drag tripping over your clothes and junk all the time. 

-- Pritch

Thanks. I used a free program called google sketchup, I've found it to be really easy. The lack of storage space worried me as well. All it really has room for as far as storage goes is a dresser. Wasn't sure where I could throw in any other storage space though besides adding some shelves near the bed.

gandalfthegrey

You might want to try a small loft area for storage only so you don't add to floor square footage.
Bad Wolf

Pritch

Thanks Trad.  I'll have to check Sketchup out.  I recommend treating storage just like any other component that is on your "must have" list for the cabin.  Just like you allocated space for a bed and a refrigerator, you need to determine what your storage needs are (linens, clothing, food, tools, etc) and allocate space for them.  With tiny structures, I think this is one of the most overlooked necessities.  It is a good idea to emulate yachts in this regard.  Little closets and cubby holes are stuck in everywhere, so no space is wasted. 

With your existing design, at the very least you could make sure the bed has drawers underneath.  You may want to go so far as to make that entire wall a built-in with various cupboards and shelves above, below, and beside the bed.  The bed itself could be a Murphy, meaning it could fold up during the day, and the space could sere some other purpose. 

To take that idea further, you could eliminate the big entertainment center in favor of a custon Murphy bed.  During the day, it is folded up, with a flat panel TV and your electronics available.  At night, it drops down for sleeping.  This would free up a whole lot of space. 

-- PRITCH
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

Redoverfarm

Trad   w* to the board.  You can often incorporate storage in area's that you didn't know existed until you see some examples.  I started a thread on Hidden Potential which is some examples.  There is also a thread on Builtins which might give you some other ideas.  Easy to incorporate since you are in the design stage rather than a remodel phase.  Just thought I would throw out some ideas.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3919.msg46058#msg46058

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1355.0

John

Trad

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've decided to go with a loft so I won't have any problems storage space. I also liked the idea of the Murphy with the electronics on the underside of it, though I'm not sure that's something I'd wanna do. As far as finding places with hidden potential for storage space I didn't really have any luck. The only area I could think of that might be good for built in is storage areas under the floor. I've seen safes in houses under floors, and I though I might use that idea.

Redoverfarm

Trad although I didn't go step by step on the procedures it does give you some ideas.  Maybe with a few varations you can come up with your own space saving ideas.  Good Luck.

John

Pritch

Trad,

I've been playing around with SketchUp (Free) for a couple of days.  Thanks for the heads up.  I haven't been able to find the cabinets and furniture that you used.  Is the only way to find such items is the web search?  Could you email me your SketchUp file so I could pull the components out of that?  (I have an email listed in my profile.) 

I'm working on a 16X24 plan right now and I'm trying to utilize the most storage I can in it.  I will also include a loft, which will be fine for infrequently needed items. 

-- PRITCH

Trad

Quote from: Redoverfarm on June 02, 2008, 06:52:39 AM
Trad although I didn't go step by step on the procedures it does give you some ideas.  Maybe with a few varations you can come up with your own space saving ideas.  Good Luck.

John

Thanks. I'm definitely going to keep trying to come up with ideas for this cabin.

Quote from: Pritch on June 02, 2008, 07:01:27 PM
Trad,

I've been playing around with SketchUp (Free) for a couple of days.  Thanks for the heads up.  I haven't been able to find the cabinets and furniture that you used.  Is the only way to find such items is the web search?  Could you email me your SketchUp file so I could pull the components out of that?  (I have an email listed in my profile.) 

I'm working on a 16X24 plan right now and I'm trying to utilize the most storage I can in it.  I will also include a loft, which will be fine for infrequently needed items. 

-- PRITCH

I made the cabinets myself, they're just a rectangular prism with another rectangular prism sticking out the front. Most of the furniture I used was made by other people who posted their models here: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ You can find my sketchup file on there if you type in trad cabin.  There's also a small amount of furniture in the components that come with the program.