Phew!! It worked!! TBA's 28x48 w/ICF's

Started by TBA, August 31, 2006, 10:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBA

My ICF endeavor was successful and I'd do it again!! I'll upload more pictures to photobucket if anyone is interested. 8-)

Amanda_931

Oh good.  I thought about that for me and rather visualized a puddle of concrete with a few foam scraps sticking out.

A lot of bracing in there.  

Where skimping on them would have led to blowouts.

Was all of that recommended bracing?

peg_688

Looks like a well thought out plan . For a DIY er they might be a good way to go if you #1 want to DIY. #2 Have a remote site and have to DIY. :o

Cement is unforgiving , lots of bracing right out of the gate beats shoddy / hurried up bracing any day. Or a blow out , those are no fun , I remember my last one , about 20 years ago ;D yup lots of bracing , bracing is your friend  ;D

All most all that bracing can be turned right around / reused as work / framing is soon to start.

Some general site / view photo's would be nice . WE all like photo's :) , well I do at least can't speak for the dial uppers  :o

BTW did you pump the mud or wheelbarrow it ?  Looks like remote site from that one photo :)  

TBA

Most of the bracing was my own concoction. I didn't go with the recommended layout on the corners but rather used long to long - short to short, that way I only needed to trim 8" off of a 48" or add a 16" piece rather than add a 4" piece every row. I kept all of the spliced joints together vertically and tied them all together with the OSB on each side and lots of screws.

PEG's right, nearly every scrap of lumber goes right back into wall framing - pony and full height - planks are floor joists and even the drywall screws will be reused - bracing = nearly free, so wasn't afraid to put an extra one in here or there.

Pumped all of the concrete and used a generator for the vibrator.

More pics - start to today:

https://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/boodaaw/

n74tg

Very impressive; how big is your building footprint?  Nice pics too

Where are you building?

TBA

QuoteVery impressive; how big is your building footprint?  Nice pics too

Where are you building?

It's not really fitting here - it's 28 x 48.

BTW - your 2 x2 on top of the rebar dowels saved me quite an injury when I stumbled one day - still got a good bruise and sliver but had the rebar been exposed there's not telling how sever it could have been.

Thanks for the great tip!!!!

glenn-k

Feel free to post all the information and pictures here that you like, TBA.  John doesn't restrict projects to his plans anywhere except on his Plans Support section.

I'm moving this to owner builder projects -then you can invite your friends to check out your project.

I fabricated and helped install all of the steel for an ICF 2 story building and my cousin is a contractor building ICF's in Oregon.

MIEDRN

Most of the ICF websites I come across cater to the professional cement worker.

Reassuring to know that it can be done by DIYers. I thought it would be a good choice for my home. Which ones did you choose? Did you buy the forms or make them?

Just curious!

glenn-k

My cousin has used a lot of types and he recommended Reward Walls to me recently.

http://www.rewardwalls.com/

He said they are usable right side up or upside down or in pieces - less waste of expensive material than others he has used.

TBA

I used SuperForm, the only product readily available here. I had some issues with the product design (corner length) and the need to piecemeal as a result of the design (discussed here earlier) http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1153888600

I did look at the Reward system and was impressed, but unfortunately the product (for me) was not easily obtainable. Had it been, I probably would have used them.

I'm now at the point of applying the waterproof membrane - called - SuperForm Tarp. This particular product seems unknown to Google and I'm having a dickens of a time trying to find a similar product that details how to install it and that I might use their information as I did to place the blocks themselves. I've only seen the tarp applied on one other building; it is not self adhering and comes in rolls of 10' by 150'. I guess I'll have to fly this one on a wing and a prayer as well.

MIEDRN

Thanks for the information. Your pics of the bracing was helpful also. I'll remember that!

TBA

Tarp's on - Big - O next, then the first call to the building inspector.

TBA

Finally got the first nail driven today!!! The Wife and Father drove the 2nd and 3rd home and we were off the ground with framing.

glenn-k

The first of many TBA.  Great to get started. :)