filter fabric for foundation drainage

Started by MikeT, January 26, 2007, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Is there anything particular or special I need to consider when purchasing filter fabric in which I plan to wrap the drain rock that will cover my perf pipes around the foundation?  Where do I buy this fabric?

Thanks,
mt

glenn-k

I don't know about types and places to get that, Mike , but our local Ace Hardware at the lumberyard has 100 foot long socks that slip over the black flexible perforated drain pipe and it claims to even eliminate the need for gravel, however I still feel that I would want gravel too.  It's that round woven kind that is like an endless tube sock with a hole at both ends.

MikeT

Thanks, Glenn.  I bought one of those already.  I was looking for the fabric to go around and over the drain rock.  Then on top of the drain rock I was planning on placing structural fill.  Perhaps I am being overly cautious, but I do not want a wet basment, so I am trying to do the right things on the front end to prevent later work.

mt

glenn-k

I was on a job last spring where they used it extensively.  My neighbor used it when he repaired a pothole in the road and he called it geotextile fabric.  I had forgotten the name of it earlier.

Here is a link to one company that has it.

http://www.usfabricsinc.com/products/wovenfiltration.shtml

desdawg

The geotextile fabric we use in septic systems is available at Home Depot in the garden department. It is called WeedBlock. It will allow the passage of water and air but it blocks dirt and root penetration. We place it over the leachrock prior to backfilling.

glenn-k

Great-- now we know a pretty easy place to find it, desdawg.

Any rough guess on price and quantity for price?

Amanda_931

I've heard--no reason given, see caveat below--that socks on drainage tiles give more trouble than benefits.

But the builder who told me that was very bad about saying that something couldn't be done, or it would look terrible, or..... if he didn't want to do it.

I'd like to know.  :-/

peg_688

WE get ours from our concrete supplier , I'm not sure the garden stuff is the same thing , it may be.

I'm with Glenn if I used the sock around the perf pipe I'd still use drain rock over the pipe and filter cloth over the drain rock . If you've ever had to hand dig around a place with water under it cuz the pipe got plugged I think you'd do the same thing.  >:( :'(

Cheap insurance  ;)

Make sure the pipe is as low as you can get it around that footing , not tied to the cleats that hold the forms , which puts the pipe on top of the footing , someone did that ONCE , he won't do it ever again :-[ >:( ::) :-[

Get that drain pipe right up to and down as low , without undermining the footer, as you can :)  

glenn-k

I'm going with drains inside and outside the footer on my basement project inside the rock walls.  Both will be below the floor but due to rock the one outside the footer can't go to the bottom of it - still below the floor though.  The inside one will be lower.  The plastic specified by the engineer is a joke and he is open to anything so will do it my way.  Waterproofer to be painted on the footings and wall exteriors to seal.

peg_688

Sounds reasonable to me , as long as it can run to day light .  We've used sump pumps on a couple of jobs , to much water and no way to drain to , other than pump it up and out .

Pretty simple system the excavator came up with , dig hole , put in 18" culvert pipe vertically , drain rock , filter cloth , place float accuated pump in bottom , run pipe / tight line PVC to day light , add power , on a GFI with a swt. disconnect close by (IE follow local elec, codes ) .  Works fine.

glenn-k

Yes - we are engineered at 1% slope to the low end of the basement which goes to daylight on the downhill side.  Since the first excavator operator got carried away it is even more which will work out better for drainage.  The floor will still be at 1% so will be high and dry.

desdawg

The fabric that I have been buying comes in 3', 4' and I think 6' wide rolls X 50' 0r 100' in length. What I get is the 3' X 50' roll and we cut it in half with a handsaw. We are laying it over a 12" wide leach trench. That roll cost about $15.00. Some time back leach trenches were covered with newspaper or roofing felt. It's purpose is to keep dirt from sifting down into the rock bed over time. The rock is 1-1/2".