20x24 cottage Aspen Nova Scotia

Started by rcarbray, October 22, 2012, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcarbray

late 2010 i was given a small parcel of land halfway between Antigonish and Sheerbroke Nova Scotia, it was 500'x150' on a private road that was once owned primarily by family and sold off bit by bit over the past 40 or so years.
me being from Halifax its a bit of a trek (a little under 3 hours) but worth the drive. for anyone who hasnt been on the eastern shore of Nova Scotia its a twisty road that closely follows the Atlantic ocean and a sight the be seen.
in 2010 i started to save as much money as i could and bought building materials when i could, over the 2 years i accumulated $4000 worth of lumber, plywood, shingles and various little odds and ends and searched out FREE items as well totaling over another $3000  which included windows ( new and used) doors, wood stove and wood cook stove, stove pipe, house wrap and a whole house worth of 5 year old vinyl siding.
it took me over a year to get building permits for this project due to the fact that things were filed wrong, i was told i wouldn't need a perk test due to that fact that i wouldn't have septic (that changed), my application was miss placed and shortage of funds for the test  ($1100 to dig a hole and draw a site plan)

but this fall we broke ground, had the concrete pillars poured and started to build
she is a 20x24 one story with a loft covering 1/2 the span
it sits on 9-10" pillars 4 foot deep with big foot footings at the bottom.
on top of the pillars are 3-6x10 beams 32 foot long  (8 foot for a future deck)
all my lumber is rough cut and gov stamped. its nice to be working with REAL 2X4, 2X8 and 2X10's

while we only really had 2 fulls days to build due to the cold/wet weather, friends work schedules and my lumber getting there a day late due to a problem with the truck that was hauling it; we still managed to get more done than we thought we would
floor built and sheeted, walls up with windows and doors framed in, ty-pard and land cleared to produce a beautiful view of the small valley below and the st mary's river off in the distance.
the whole time i was up building i spent it sleeping in a hammock and loved every min of it.... true camping

Redoverfarm

w*  Love your country.  Was there a few times over the last couple decades.  Keep us updated and a few pictures go a long way. ;)

NavyDave

I agree, your part of the world is beautiful! Spent many nights in Halifax and St. John and being an X flight engineer I got to see the countryside from a point of view most people don't. Gorgeous place.  w* Look forward to seeing your project progress.

rcarbray

haven't figured out how to load pictures here yet but here is a link to a slide show of my progress

https://s1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/Robbie_Carbray/Facebook/cottage%20in%20the%20works/

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: rcarbray on October 29, 2012, 08:13:13 PM
haven't figured out how to load pictures here yet but here is a link to a slide show of my progress

https://s1339.photobucket.com/albums/o712/Robbie_Carbray/Facebook/cottage%20in%20the%20works/

Robbie you are already 95% there.  Just place your cursor on the picture.  A  four section window will drop down.  Move the cursor to the last one which is "IMG".  Click on that and it should show you that it was "copied".  Then just paste that to the area that you want the picure to appear whether it be following the text of your message or seperate.  Just a hint.  Leave a couple spaces between the pictures so that they do not appear to run together.

davestreck

I love the Eastern Shore. My wife and I have been building our cabin (http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9167) on an island near Sheet Harbour for the past few years. Its a longer drive for us (14 hours from Massachusetts) but the scenery, the remoteness and the people make it worth it.

I haven't posted an update since 2011, but details of our 2012 trip can me found here: http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_1314_1.html#msg36825

Where do you buy your roughsawn lumber? I've been hunting for a good sawmill on the Eastern Shore.
--
Sláinte...

Dave

"Bíonn caora dhubh ar an tréad is gile"