Roll roofing?

Started by Leo, May 12, 2007, 09:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

My ultimate plan is a slate colored metal roof.at present i have the plywood and one huge heavy tarp and two others.My neighbor reports have held through the winter all dry no mold :) this summer I wanna get it winterized.electric ,insulation.wall covering widows exterior trim and stain will consume the budget. Is there any reason roll roofing wont serve well under metal roofing?

glenn kangiser

Others may have differing opinions but I see no problem with it.  Ken Kern recommended it for a live roof on a shop --  cover it with 6 mil plastic, galvanized sheet metal angle 1 1/2" high then 1 1/2 inches of sandy loam (if I recall correctly) and succulents planted in it to keep the shop cooler.

I don't see why it wouldn't work under sheeting as well as 30 lb felt - even better.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

It tends to wrinkle some , so you might have to slice out those before you put the metal on . Sounds like a down the road a bit deal, but it should be ok as heavy felt when you get to the roof . Screws might drive a bit harder but they should plow thru it , other issues might be plumbing vents / chimney's venting boots  but again those could be cut free and reused as long as you when light on the tar when gooping those in.

But all in all I'd think those issue could be worked out at that time.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Leo

thanks for the advice, hoping to get to the metal roof next spring before the heat.by getting it winterized i can go down and work on the stairs and interior this winter...

John Raabe

We put down $50 worth of roll roofing on our low slope 10x14 Little House cabin in 1999. We sealed the edges as suggested in the instructions on the roll.

This roof has had no problems and has never leaked. This is on a roof with a slope of 2" over 10' - much less than the recommended minimum.  :o

If I were going to do metal roofing I would see no problem in using this as the secondary roof for any backup leaks. Many roofers are now using peel and stick membranes as underlayment on new roof installations. That is similar to roll roofing.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

If I were going to do metal roofing I would see no problem in using this as the secondary roof for any backup leaks. Many roofers are now using peal and stick membranes as underlayment on new roof installations. That is similar to roll roofing.

It's good stuff  8-)but spendy :o :o

John do you know what brand , (or is it ??  :-/, peelin stick) is  on the new /being built real estate office in Freeland ?? I can't read the label  from the road :-[

glenn kangiser

I'd bet Bituthane or Grace  Vicor or similar.  I've seen it used on a Safeway.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Could be but the label doesn't look familar, maybe they changed color / labeling , I'll stop if I can and check it out.

glenn kangiser

I saw an off brand at the Safeway job - no name - clear or white plastic backing but the stucco guy said it was the same thing.

John Raabe

PEG - The under roof membrane on the Freeland building is called Feltex. Made by a local company it may not be widely available.

http://www.systemcomponents.net/

None of us are as smart as all of us.