Question about nails

Started by cedarglen, May 11, 2007, 11:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

I have a box of nails for my nail gun which are labeled INTERIOR. The ones labeled EXTERIOR were galvenized. Can I use the INTERIOR nails for all framing including exterior walls? Can I use them for attaching the OSB sheithing which will have housewrap and then siding over it? I can use them on anything that is not decking and siding that is exposed right?

Also 3 1/4 inch is 16D right?

Chuck

PEG688

QuoteI have a box of nails for my nail gun which are labeled INTERIOR. The ones labeled EXTERIOR were galvenized. Can I use the INTERIOR nails for all framing including exterior walls? Can I use them for attaching the OSB sheithing which will have housewrap and then siding over it? I can use them on anything that is not decking and siding that is exposed right?

Also 3 1/4 inch is 16D right?

Chuck

For framing you can use either, the only nail requirement for framing nails that would [highlight]HAVE [/highlight]to be galvie would be nails that would be in/ into  ACQ lumber. So sheathing nails that would attach OSB / plywood to a ACQ / PT bottom plate . [highlight]Those nails would also have to specificily say they could be used with ACQ lumber  [/highlight] not all Galv gun nails meet that requirement.

3 1/4" = 16d , roger that.

If you need to buy more gun nails 12d nails are fine to use and they drive / gun much better/ easier  than 16d nails.  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

cedarglen

I'm in a strict code enforcement area, won't the inspector reject the 12D nails where the California Building Code calls for 16D?

thank you for your input.

Chuck

PEG688

They don't here in Washington , there's only a 1/4" difference in lenght.

Call your local gestpo   code offical and ask.  

glenn kangiser

Interior nails will leave big black streaks on natural wood as water runs over them.  Galvanized won't streak the wood or rust.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteInterior nails will leave big black streaks on natural wood as water runs over them.  Galvanized won't streak the wood or rust.

Gavl gun nails rust Glenn , and they streak as well. Best to use hand drive Galvies if that is a consideration.

I'd like to hear what your code offical sez about the 12d's if you ask. I'm not askin the Jacka$$'s here , they'll have to catch me  before they can &uck me  >:( >:(   :o ::)

glenn kangiser

I guess they could streak but the Senco galvanized ring shank nails I used didn't streak over the last year on my exposed cedar.

I guess I probably streak more often than my Senco nails do. :-?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuoteI guess they could streak but the Senco galvanized ring shank nails I used didn't streak over the last year on my exposed cedar.

I guess I probably streak more often than my Senco nails do. :-?

Must be our salt air up here , but I use Galv ring shank Senco brand gun nails and they streak like a guy in a trench coat for old women , the younger ones just ignore him  ;D ;D

Oh BTW I hear it never rains in Californicator ;D Burns like hell but no rain ::)

glenn kangiser

We get about 25 to 50 inches a year here -- 1/2  to 5 inches at a time though. :-/

MountainDon

Ah! It falls on you before getting here.   :(  We have nice sunny blue cloudless skies most of the time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Yes Don, we have to flush so you will have water. :)

I know --I've used that one before. but it seemed appropriate. :-?