Backhoe or Bobcat

Started by Chuckca, May 01, 2007, 01:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

Which would you?  I like the idea of having one of these at the building site. When you need it - it's there.  I beleive that it would be  cost effecctive.  I have no experience with either.....is there a steep learning curve.  I'd like yalls thoughts. :)  Am I thinking smart or wacky :) GO EASY!  We'd being  doing a 650' S gravel driveway, 200x300 pond, basement, 3 car garge, some trenching.  20x36 1 1/2 model.

My brother-in-law has both.  He's leaveing the construction business.  I would be responsible for the transportation costs from Los Angeles.  I have my choice.  No cost to me except for needed repairs and delivery.  

I'll be getting model and condition information later this week.  

Thanks

skiwest

Used at auction the cheapest backhoe is going to be more expensive than the most expensive skid steer ( biggest/ fewest hours/late model)  So if even close in price you should be able to fix it yourself if you  go the older/high hours back hoe route.  

We went skid steer , 3600lb capacity weight ~9500lbs.  So can tow with a 1 ton truck.  Bought hoe so can trench but is not the type that pivots  so alot cheaper but takes longer to dig as have to move to dump.  Also got forks and a blade.  Skid steers are pretty easy to operate though maintence can be a pain as everything is so compact.

can dig a hole 5foot deep with the hoe we got.  Thought that use hoe for digging out stumps but bucket caqn take out most as not that big and sandy /gravel soil.  Some stuborn ones we used hoe.

glenn kangiser

I like em both Chuck.  I'd just get one of each.  

Hard choice for me, but I think the skid steer is the most versatile and they are digging fools.  Just don't waste your time on a real junker one.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Chuckca

How much would one go for?

Sassy

Chucka, I was able to drive our old Bobcat - it was smaller than the one we have now (haven't tried that one yet).  So if I could drive it, I imagine you would be able to  ;) .  I was always a bit scared of the backhoe - I think because it was old & temperamental - you had to know just what it wanted.   ::)  Sassy
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Here's where I bought mine -decent guys - prices vary - $8000 to $20000 for most of them,

http://www.psiequip.com/

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fishing_guy

I was always a bit scared of the backhoe - I think because it was old & temperamental - you had to know just what it wanted.     Sassy  

I thought you were talking about Glenn. ;)  

I always wanted one of those mini-backhoes, about bobcat sized.  Just looked like fun to drive around.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

glenn kangiser

I don't think she was , that time.

Fishing guy -  :-/,  I just wanted to warn you,  :-?, they have started giving tickets to guys who think they can drive their riding lawnmower to the bar.  I'm not sure about small mini-backhoes. :)

Sassy

Fishinguy, Glenn, temperamental?  :o Never  ::)  after all, he's king of the troglodytes  ;)

I think the mini-backhoe would be fun, too.  I wouldn't be afraid of that.  One of the wives of a CountryPlans member did most of the trenching for their homesite with a small one.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

desdawg

Both machines are good depending on what you are doing. The biggest advantage with a backhoe loader is that you have both the hoe and the front end loader mounted all of the time so you can dig or turn around and push/scoop dirt without having to change attachments. With a skidsteer you can have one or the other but not both at the same time. However the skidsteer has many attachment options which is a big part of its charm. I have pallet forks (which I use a lot), a post auger, a trencher attachment, a dozer blade (but not enough traction to push it. I would have to get some over the tire tracks to use it effectively.) I have a bucket with tines and a grapple for cleaning up tree limbs, etc. I have rented a breaker hammer for it to break out concrete. There are many many attachments available and if you don't need one enough to justify the purchase they can be rented. I like my skidsteer so well I bought a second one to keep in the mountains. I already had my second backhoe up there so I am a fortunate kind of guy. So the correct answer has already been stated. GET EM BOTH!  :o
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Chuckca

I'd like to  have either the  BH  or BC.  One is free to me, but of course I have to transport it or pay to have is relocated.

Keeping in mind that I'd like to do a basement, pond, and  gargage.  Maybe some clearing!

Thanks

glenn kangiser

A decent sized Bobcat can be hauled on a trailer with brakes behind a full size pickup truck.

desdawg

If I were doing the projects you listed I would prefer to work with the backhoe. For digging projects it would prove more versatile. It would be pretty hard to dig footings with a Bobcat.

Erin

QuoteA decent sized Bobcat can be hauled on a trailer with brakes behind a full size pickup truck.

...So can a backhoe
(I hope!  We do so regularly.  lol)

I would pick a backhoe any day over a bobcat.  At least for the projects mentioned...
A backhoe, a bi-directional tractor and an ancient road grader... That's what we're going to build our place with. (So long as my husband can tolerate his boss for a couple more years, that is)

Chuckca

Are you related to GLENN? :)  He has a fleet of heavy equipment. :)

glenn-k

Quote(So long as my husband can tolerate his boss for a couple more years, that is)
You're not that hard on him are you, Erin?

Erin

[smiley=engel017.gif] .

glenn-k

Yes -- that's right -- I believe that. :)

Amanda_931

We dug not very deep footings with a 12" auger on a small tractor.    With the holes at the angles in the W's.

WWWWWWWW

glenn-k

Where there is a will there is a way -- or is it water :-?

Fred and I built a light but pretty tough grizzly for the Bobcat.  It separates the rocks from the dirt with an optional re-bar screen for smaller rocks to the save pile.  Big spaces are 3.5" - with the rebar screen over top the holes are about 2" -it sits up so allows bigger than half size.

We use the old gravity grading system - big stuff over the side to the lower level - small stiff is to the left (screened already) - pit run is to the right.  Lower rock pile can be re-run to clean it up more if desired - much easier the next time- less small stuff - or just run it up and use it in a wall -  :)

desdawg

I like it. I can't believe the pricetag I see on Grizzly's around here.

glenn-k

What did you see for prices - roughly, desdawg?  I knew of one and didn't even want to ask - it was too big anyway.

This one is from 2" pipe 7 feet  (one third of a joint) long - size is perfect.    Price was free- labor only and scrap.  Picks up on the bucket anmd carries great.  I have a job that I will have to walk it into - about 1 mile on the side of a cliff or very steep narrow mountain road.  Too crooked for a pickup and trailer or dump truck (maybe a small 2 axle only).

I rolled a 400 to 500 lb rock over it no problem - scoop is about 3000 lbs full.

desdawg

I have seen them for $6000. Crazy.

glenn-k

We probably have about 600 labor time and 600-800 material value - if we had to buy it.

It's good enough for the girls I go with. :)

desdawg

Well it looks like a good stout piece of equipment. Should give you years of service. Nice job.