Sauna in a tiny house????

Started by ToxicTurtl3, December 21, 2014, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToxicTurtl3

So... I've wanted a sauna forever and I thought it would be cool to put on in the tiny house. I wanted to know if it would be feasible (or possible) to put one in an off grid tiny house.

PS: I've looked around and can't find anything about the sauna, so ya...

Don_P

Although I've done it in a house with electric I'd make it a seperate building and go with wood fired if off grid. That would be a good first drawing project. Research codes on wood combustion, flues, clearances, etc ( mostly chapter 10 in the IRC). I'd include a dressing room with the firebox accessed from it, but research what's out there.

As an aside a sauna makes a passable dry kiln for drying lumber.

paul s

in alex wades  book 30 energy efficient houses he has one of sorts maybe two as i recall
one is in his 10 x 20 house

JRR

In a small house, I would be concerned about the concentration of water vapor.  I would think best to build a sauna "out-house" if possible.

flyingvan

Find what you love and let it kill you.

UK4X4

The average russian Dacha usually has a sauna, off grid wood burning, the ones I'very been to are separate to the living quarters .

This is either to do with drunk Russians and fire, or to add in a dunk in the snow before returning to the living quarters !

You meet your contact, go to a shipping container, open the trunk and pull two large bottles ,  fill both from the hoses passed out the window drive to the location , have vodka and some  snacks  then the sauna, whipped with birch branches , dunk in the snow and repeat.........

flyingvan

Huh.  And the life expectancy for Russian men is 64 years.  Go figure.
Find what you love and let it kill you.